Steve Hutchinson or Bentley? Your Thoughts? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Steve Hutchinson or Bentley? Your Thoughts?

I think whatever we do to the O-line we need to get a player who will lead the rest of the guys. A guy who will take charge an the rest of the guys will follow. We havnt had a player like that since Jamie Nails in 02.

Bumpus said:
How does that make any sense? If great linemen are available and your line does not have anything better than average, then why would you NOT go after them? Houck has impressed me so far with what he has been able to do with this group, but I'd just as soon upgrade to the best talent that we can find. Remember ... all offences start at the trenches. We need to be able to dominate there before we can consistantly move the ball against anyone and everyone!

Because Saban is a believer of drafting lower round OL and having a great OL coach turn them into studs so you can spend your money in more priority areas. It's just my opinion but I don't see it happening. Now if there isn't anything else for the team to spend their money on in FA then I could see them going after one of them.

I say neither. We already have a quality LG in James. I feel we should use our FA money on the secondary and a veteran QB. Then draft either Cutler or Croyle as our QB. Then draft Nick Mangold to play center. Possibilities are endless on what Saban could do, but one thing s is known. Next years roster will be better.

VanDolPhan said:
Oh joy. People on a message board. Yah that's legitimate :rolleyes2

It's not guarenteed. Nobody in the Seattle organization has said boo on it yet. They would have to pay him LEFT TACKLE money to franchise him and I do believe they don't have enough cap room to carry a franchise tag on a GUARD.

Either way he isn't coming here. I can't see Saban blowing huge money on OL that he hasn't personally drafted etc.

Oh joy. Someone ELSE on a message board. Yah that's legitimate :rolleyes2

Your assertation that he ISN'T coming here carries as little or LESS credence than his...just because you "can't see it happening." That's why this is a "discussion forum", not a "condescending forum"

VanDolPhan said:
Because Saban is a believer of drafting lower round OL and having a great OL coach turn them into studs so you can spend your money in more priority areas. It's just my opinion but I don't see it happening. Now if there isn't anything else for the team to spend their money on in FA then I could see them going after one of them.

who told you taht? did saban? did he address it somewhere? becaues if i recalll he brough in Houck to deal with a non talented crappy off line players so he can help them out while he gest time to fix that mess on the line. He said he wants a powering dominating line. we are no where near that line. And if so, why did he say he wants to pick up a G and fix the two Tackle spots?

Phinfan31 said:
I think whatever we do to the O-line we need to get a player who will lead the rest of the guys. A guy who will take charge an the rest of the guys will follow. We havnt had a player like that since Jamie Nails in 02.
Right. The way I've phrased it is that we need guy on the line who will set a pro-bowl caliber high bar that the other linemen play up to.

SR 7 said:
who told you taht? did saban? did he address it somewhere? becaues if i recalll he brough in Houck to deal with a non talented crappy off line players so he can help them out while he gest time to fix that mess on the line. He said he wants a powering dominating line. we are no where near that line. And if so, why did he say he wants to pick up a G and fix the two Tackle spots?

I am basing my opinion off of how he treated the free agent market last year and the shared beliefs between him and B.B. who doesn't overpay for OL and is more prone to letting them go elsewhere rather then pay large money (Woody, Andruzzi) and being able to plug in nobodies like Nick Kaczur and not miss a beat. I believe Bentley though may be an exception due to the tie between him and our GM (didn't our GM draft him?). Otherwise I think Seattle will either resign Hutch(no franchise tag) him or he will go to a team that will OVERPAY him.

Wahle who is a guard signed last year with Carolina for $28 million over five years and included a two-tiered signing bonus of $11.5 million. Are you guys ready to make a guard the 2nd best paid player on this team with a possible $14-15 million in bonuses? Hutch is another step beyond Wahle. That's the price tag. Do you think Saban goes for such or will he make a move for Bentley who could be had around $8-10 million in bonuses? That is if they were going to make a move at all.

The Goat said:
Oh joy. Someone ELSE on a message board. Yah that's legitimate :rolleyes2

Your assertation that he ISN'T coming here carries as little or LESS credence than his...just because you "can't see it happening." That's why this is a "discussion forum", not a "condescending forum"

Boy your swift. Isn't that what your doing yourself right now? Being condescending? He was stating 2 forum posters from another board as if it was news media. That he takes forum posters as the 'gospel' of what a team is going to do instead of taking it for what it is. Opinion. I've never stated to 'know' what they will do. I only state my opinion and I was stating it as such to not take another message board as 'gospel'. If some clown is daft enough to run to another board with such then that person is as off as our earlier poster. How you tie my response in any resemblance to him is beyond me and I think you should go back and reread what was said and perhaps finally clue in. I didn't state my opinion was fact based off 'some' other message board. It's just opinion here.

My choice would be Hutchinson and LT-Jeff Backus from Detroit. Houck would make Backus a Pro-Bowl player and Steve Hutchinson is already a Pro Bowl Guard. It will be a reunion of sorts for both, since they both played together
at Michigan.

My choice would be Hutchinson and LT-Jeff Backus from Detroit. Houck would make Backus a Pro-Bowl player and Steve Hutchinson is already a Pro Bowl Guard. It will be a reunion of sorts for both, since they both played together
at Michigan. I know it will be a little pricey, but we need them.

phinking said:
at Michigan.

Backus any good though? Heard the name a couple times but it's the Lions and I can't sit through any game with them to see how he plays.

Anyone got an OL FA list? That might make this discussion a little more interesting if we could see all the choices out there.

VanDolPhan said:
I am basing my opinion off of how he treated the free agent market last year and the shared beliefs between him and B.B. who doesn't overpay for OL and is more prone to letting them go elsewhere rather then pay large money (Woody, Andruzzi) and being able to plug in nobodies like Nick Kaczur and not miss a beat. I believe Bentley though may be an exception due to the tie between him and our GM (didn't our GM draft him?). Otherwise I think Seattle will either resign Hutch(no franchise tag) him or he will go to a team that will OVERPAY him.

Wahle who is a guard signed last year with Carolina for $28 million over five years and included a two-tiered signing bonus of $11.5 million. Are you guys ready to make a guard the 2nd best paid player on this team with a possible $14-15 million in bonuses? Hutch is another step beyond Wahle. That's the price tag. Do you think Saban goes for such or will he make a move for Bentley who could be had around $8-10 million in bonuses? That is if they were going to make a move at all.
Right, but BB still always has one guy on the line who sets a high bar so the other guys can play up to it. Woody was the guy until he was too costly, then it was Andruzzi, and now it's Logan Mankins, who was a 1st round pick at guard last year.

The fact that BB spent a 1st rounder on a guard (starting guards are typically drafted in the 2nd and 3rd) indicates that he probably espouses this philosophy, and I think Saban's following suit, though Saban is being forced to get his "high-bar lineman" in FA because, unlike New England last year, we have too many other needs we need to address on day one of the draft.

Back
Top Bottom