Tannehils Last 5 (The True Definition of a Franchise QB) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehils Last 5 (The True Definition of a Franchise QB)

so quick to write him off? even you can't be that ridiculous. the guy had what 14 college starts at QB, hes just getting started. he can be brady or better, if you dont see his potential I don't know what to tell ya. not saying he will be better or even equal but to dismiss it? wayyy too early my friend

I am not saying he won't be good but he won't be Brady, marino, Kelly, Peyton- all guys who we have had to deal w/ in the division.

this is why we don't just look at #s, he wasn't very good at NYJ or at Pitt. Numbers VERY misleading, he was excellent yesterday though. Carolina, only led O to 16 pts and zero in 2nd half. if not for blocked FG his INT would have led to 3 pts.

Most importantly he played really well in your biggest game yesterday but don't be fooled by nice #s.

From the guy who would recognize a franchise QB if his life depended on it, I consider this the biggest vote of confidence that Tannehill could receive.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

the good news is he still had good moments and you were finding ways to win those games, if he played yesterday like he did against us and Pitt there is no way you win. he brought his best and it was perfect timing.

How the hell would you know that? Such BS.....

I am not saying he won't be good but he won't be Brady, marino, Kelly, Peyton- all guys who we have had to deal w/ in the division.

you cant say that at this point, just as we cant say he will be either.

how can you say that? isn't Andrew luck on that level? potentially I mean

how can you say that? isn't Andrew luck on that level? potentially I mean

I would never put that label on anyone, to say a guy will be top 5 all time? until they prove it I won't label anyone as a future version. Let's be honest, Ryan has had a decent year so far- nothing more. His #s are better than he has actually been. His most recent performance was a great one, if he keeps that up I'll start talking about him like he can be something special.

yeah but the offense being so timing based doesnt lead itself to intuitiveness...you've even said so yourself...so is that the qbs fault or mean he can't do it??? i don't think so

and tannehill has been leading mathews especially on some of those vertical routes from the slot to the sideline...gibby was not used the same way...ran more east and west routes

i get the scramble thing in say a 3 step drop and its not there got to learn to get out and take what they give you with your legs but these things take reps and we are seeing some of it now...remember this kids working on his 4th year as a starter college and pros...

I'll start by saying that I haven't been this happy with Tannehill since he gained the job as our starting QB. I think the one area where he can make that next step is buying time with his feet. I consistently see D-linemen lose contain against us, where Tannehill can slide out to the left or right and buy a few extra seconds. If he were to do this, it'd allow our WR's to get open for bigger gains, but because he throws so well on the run, it's especially frustrating. I think we'll see him make significant strides in this area next season. He's processing a lot, and you can see the game slowing down for him.

compared to Geno? absolutely. I have NOT bashed Tannehill in any way, I just discuss reality. He was great on Sunday, he was not the previous 2 weeks.
Why do you watch football when you can just go into a statsheet and learn everything you need to know? why waste your time watching games? you don't have any idea what you are watching anyway.

junc, you really need to give it a rest dude.... You have hundreds of posts supporting one of the worst starting QBs of the last decade. When Sanchez plays like complete crap for a whole game but is kept in it by his defense, then has ONE DRIVE for a TD, you proclaim that he is clutch... Tannehill makes one mistaken then leads his team back and your comment? "The win would have been easier if Tannehill didn't throw the pick 6"

Enjoy your QB situation.....

Based on what? You really have no idea (nor does anyone else). All you have is your bias and desperate hope....

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

I would never put that label on anyone, to say a guy will be top 5 all time? until they prove it I won't label anyone as a future version. Let's be honest, Ryan has had a decent year so far- nothing more. His #s are better than he has actually been. His most recent performance was a great one, if he keeps that up I'll start talking about him like he can be something special.

You keep saying this but provide nothing to back it up.... You are talking out of the same place that caused Mark's most famous fumble.

junc, you really need to give it a rest dude.... You have hundreds of posts supporting one of the worst starting QBs of the last decade. When Sanchez plays like complete crap for a whole game but is kept in it by his defense, then has ONE DRIVE for a TD, you proclaim that he is clutch... Tannehill makes one mistaken then leads his team back and your comment? "The win would have been easier if Tannehill didn't throw the pick 6"

Enjoy your QB situation.....

FYI. Even on TGG the vast majority of posters, especially the most knowledgable ones simply ignore him.

The same crew who overreacted at 3-0 are overreacting now. I don't hang around this site all day and don't post when I'm playing golf. Otherwise nothing has changed. I still worry that Tannehill's upside is maybe 12th in the league, which is what I posted before we drafted him. I never said he would be awful. It's the same concern I had with Matt Ryan, that we would align ourselves with a guy who was a little bit overmatched against the cream of the league. Very difficult to win big with a guy like that. For the record, I absolutely prefer Tannehill over Matt Ryan and his popgun arm.

For all the hoopla, it really hasn't been that great. An upside stretch of games should be far beyond what Tannehill has delivered in the past 5 or 7, however you want to capsule it. Five teams lost with 30+ points on Sunday. We have gone beyond 24 points only once in those 7 games. It was the same at Texas A&M. Tannehill's skill set was always more impressive than the results he delivered. At some point there should be a run of 30+ games and 7.7+ yards per attempt. It has yet to show up.

Maybe he's warming to it. I will say that our offense is really looking dangerous now. That's been underrated, the designs of our offense as long as the running game is active. Gaps everywhere. We looked markedly more diverse than New England on Sunday. Without Gronkowski or the receivers they were clinging to tunnel screens in the first half, and when we rotated forward to take those away the Patriots defaulted to quick slants in the second half. That's basically all they had. With our designs we had the entire field. Tannehill needs to raise his athletic arrogance and seize all the openings. Some of the other teams in the league have laughable concepts, in comparison. Like the Lions, for example, and their ridiculous 4 and 5 wide empty set looks on 3rd and short. They've been doing that all season.

As always, there's no guarantee it repeats next season, once every opponent gets a look on film throughout the offseason. You can't happily multiply by 1.40 and announce we're on our way to riches in 2014. If we win the next 2 games and finish 10-6, that puts us in the likely regress mode next season, the one reserved for teams that either won or lost 3 more games than the prior year. That's why I'd actually prefer to sneak into the playoffs at 9-7.

BTW, I was more than annoyed when we again backed off the receiver and allowed a line drive dart for a first down on their 4th down play, no different than Cam Newton to Steve Smith in the Panthers game. You've got to crowd the receivers on those plays and force the quarterback to lob something downfield, a lower percentage play even if it might gain a big chunk if it connects.

So it's only his last five that get taken into consideration?

Tannehill is far from a great QB but he is showing improvement and that's what matters right now. So in a sense, I would agree that recent games matter more than earlier games.

However, I do think many are over-hyping Tannehill right now. All this QB comparison against opponents neglects the fact that the other QBs are sometimes going against a stronger defense than Tannehill and sometimes they may not have as good of weapons as Tannehill has.

Tannehill is far from a great QB but he is showing improvement and that's what matters right now. So in a sense, I would agree that recent games matter more than earlier games.

However, I do think many are over-hyping Tannehill right now. All this QB comparison against opponents neglects the fact that the other QBs are sometimes going against a stronger defense than Tannehill and sometimes they may not have as good of weapons as Tannehill has.
bet they have a better oline and running game then tannehill. you can't discount how well hes doing. its not even reflected in his stats. his stats are solid but hes playing even better then a paper would tell you

Not last week.. Tannehill was the only one of his relative "contemporaries" that faced and beat a winning team.
vy0ha1-1.jpg

bet they have a better oline and running game then tannehill. you can't discount how well hes doing. its not even reflected in his stats. his stats are solid but hes playing even better then a paper would tell you

You're right, those count as well. I only didn't mention them because everyone hyping up Tannehill right now does mention them, but fails to consider the other factors. I don't mean to take anything away from what Tannehill has done lately. Even though I said he's not "great" yet, I have been impressed with his improvement so far. I just think it's kind of pointless to have these game comparisons against the opposing QBs that all have established resumes of quality play. It seems like people are trying to say Tannehill is better than these QBs because he outperformed them on a single day (with varying levels of support) or because the Dolphins won the game.

Back
Top Bottom