The Case for Brandon Weeden | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Case for Brandon Weeden

I was just trying to say that Weeden can still get better at his age. He hasn't topped out already like the guy was trying to say.

I do like Tyler Wilson as well, though.

maybe...i really don't know how to answer that...i definitely think he's peaked physically but the physical tools are good enough...the other parts of his game i don't know...being that much older than everyone else makes it much harder for me to say

I don't think there is a question that if you put all of those factors such as age aside Brandon Weeden is the 3rd best quarterback in this draft and is a far batter prospect than Nick Foles of Arizona or Ryan Tannehill of Texas A&M. What makes it tough to draft Weeden in the first two rounds of the draft is

*His NFL learning curve needs to be significantly shorter than any other player in the draft. It's well documented that Weeden chased his baseball dreams and will be 29 years old when the 2012 NFL Draft rolls around. Being 29 years old he will need start in his rookie or soph season and at that point you maybe only get 5-6 years out of him.

The positive outweights the negative IMO as Weeden is very polished and what I like most about Weeden is the command he has for the huddle and for the offense. It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted and how much of a factor his age will be in this process.

The thing is you have to say can this kid

Brandon Weeden will be the same age in Week 1 of the 2012 NFL season that Warren Moon was in Week 1 of his first NFL season: 28 years old.

Agree that Weeden will go 3rd round or later. His age is a huge problem that nothing can erase.

I think the hot name QB will be Tannehill. Could see him moving up to the first round with a solid combine.

Scarcity at the QB position coupled with recent rule changes favoring the passing game will erase some of it imo.

Ok, he's 28 years old. So what. Matt Flynn is 26. We aren't getting Robert Griffin. Here are some reasons to draft Brandon early in the second round.
1. Very accurate passer with a nice gun. Threw for over 4200 yds last season
2. 6'4" 226 lbs - Robert Griffin is 6'1" / Matt Flynn is 6'2"
3. Mature and experienced athlete who could be our starter for 10 years.
4. We don't have to sell the farm to get him and he allows us to draft BPA in the 1st round.

Some realistic picks for us in round 1 are Trent Richardson, Quinton Coples, Micheal Floyd, Morris Claiborne...I cannot see us reaching for Landry Jones or Tannehill.
If we pick him in the 2nd round then I can overlook the age factor and he can push or start over Matt Moore in year one.

If this thread was started when we were 0-7, I'd say hell no; however, the late season surge proves what a lot of us thought before the season started, which is the Dolphins aren't a terrible team. Plug in good to great QB play along with another receiving TE and some OL help, and this team makes the playoffs next season. Would I prefer a 22 year old stud? Sure. I'd like to sleep on a million dollars, too. Good QBs are rare so you get what you can, age be damned.

I'm all in on Weeden.

In all honesty what is the differnece between Wheedon and John Beck when he was drafted? Played in a big scoring offense (without anything close to Justin Blackmon), tall with has a strong arm, projected as a 2nd round pick as well as being 28 going into his first season. Beck just didnt work so why jump on Wheedon in a heartbeat? Im honestly looking for what else Wheedon brings to the table, not bashing the guy lol.

In all honesty what is the differnece between Wheedon and John Beck when he was drafted? Played in a big scoring offense (without anything close to Justin Blackmon), tall with has a strong arm, projected as a 2nd round pick as well as being 28 going into his first season. Beck just didnt work so why jump on Wheedon in a heartbeat? Im honestly looking for what else Wheedon brings to the table, not bashing the guy lol.

I think you have to watch the two play football before you can compare them.

After watching Weeden's bowl performance, I almost want to say I'm afraid he won't even be there when we pick in the second round.

Okay what made the Vikings reach for Ponder was his advanced development in fact the term "Pro Ready" (Sporting News - I think) was plastered on Doak Campbell Stadium.

Is Weeden "Pro Ready?"

After watching Weeden's bowl performance, I almost want to say I'm afraid he won't even be there when we pick in the second round.

Almost afraid? I think it's 50/50 at best, personally.

Ryan Tannehill just dropped out of the Senior Bowl with a serious foot injury he suffered last week while training. That means Brandon Weeden will be far and away the best QB at the Senior Bowl. He was already going to be the best but now he'll be head and shoulders the best.

Almost afraid? I think it's 50/50 at best, personally.

Ryan Tannehill just dropped out of the Senior Bowl with a serious foot injury he suffered last week while training. That means Brandon Weeden will be far and away the best QB at the Senior Bowl. He was already going to be the best but now he'll be head and shoulders the best.

Personally, I think we should draft him with the 9th pick, but I'm not an NFL personnel guy, so I can't really say how much being 29 years old hurts his draft value. With guys playing into their late thirties these days, you're looking at what, a ten year career for Weeden if he stays healthy? I'd take that in a heartbeat if he is as good in the pros as it looks like he can be.

People just can't get his age right, lol.

For the record he turned 28 years old on October 14th, 2011. He will be be 28 years old until approximately Week 6 of the 2012 NFL season. He's old enough as it is, we don't need to short change the man. :)

I did studies of 20+ Pro Bowl QBs throughout NFL history whose starting careers did not begin until their late 20's. Average age of the group was 28 years old, like Weeden himself. The average number of starts was about 8 seasons' worth of games started. These were all QBs that had been to at least one Pro Bowl. The reason I did that? Because you have to remember that the very FIRST reason you're not going to start games in the NFL, is because you're not very good! So even the group I tallied, some of them only made one Pro Bowl and weren't very good generally in their careers, and so you can blame their lack of starts not on a lack of longevity, but on a lack of talent. If you limited it to the players that had been to at least 2 Pro Bowls, then the average number of starts jumped up to about 9 or 10 seasons' worth of starts. Hell, Warren Moon was the same exact age Brandon Weeden will be, when Warren finally got into the NFL...and he ended up playing for 15 years.

One thing I'll say about the above study, the quarterbacks studied included many that played before the NFL became such a powder puff league at the QB position. Now, QBs are protected to an unbelievable extent. And just as importantly, their wide receivers are protected, which allows these QBs to use the middle of the field which is less physically demanding. So you take the above study which shows OBJECTIVELY and in an EVIDENCE-BASED way that Brandon Weeden's career longevity estimate should be about 8 years...and honestly that might need to be bumped up.

But the next big question on everyone's minds is, yeah so he can play 8 years, what good is that if he's still learning for 4 or 5 of those years? The answer to this is to once again, do your homework. Study the learning curves of NFL quarterbacks, especially in the last decade. If you did that, you would notice that yearly passer ratings of quarterbacks that start in their first and second seasons in the pros, are on average IDENTICAL to their career ratings. In other words, by their second seasons, they're already playing about as effectively as they're going to play in their careers. That's not to say they won't keep learning. They will of course keep learning beyond their second year in the pros. But it is to say that IF they are destined to be championship caliber QBs, then they are far more likely than not to be championship viable by their second year in the league, even though they will keep learning. Tom Brady, Dan Marino and Ben Roethlisberger kept learning beyond their second years in the league, they kept growing, but all went to the Super Bowl in their second seasons. Amongst QBs that end up really good, franchise caliber players, half or more end up showing that talent already just in their rookie year.

So you have a career longevity estimate of 8.0 to 9.0 years, and a learning curve estimate of 0.5 to 1.5 years. Again, this is objective, evidence-based stuff. To me you're looking at 6 to 8 quality years out of the guy, as a defensible, objective, evidence-based, expected value.

And so then you ask yourself. Let's say you had a chance to trade for Tom Brady. But here's the caveat: you only get him for 1 year. He's in his prime, he's got no injuries, but he's announced that he'll retire after this year and you have no hope of convincing him otherwise. What would you pay? Say you're a team that is built fairly well and you think you're a QB away from competing for a championship. A 3rd round pick? A 2nd round pick?

Given the 7 year expected estimate for Weeden's career, NET of his expected learning curve, if you wouldn't pay a 2nd-3rd round pick for Brandon, then you're saying you think there is a less than a 1 in 7 chance that Weeden will be as effective in his career as a 34 year old Tom Brady.

And I just don't see that.

Back
Top Bottom