The Chicago White Sox Thread | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Chicago White Sox Thread

Ray Finkle said:
I hope not for the ChiSox, he's a very good young pitcher. I'd keep him.

McCarthy will be better, I wouldn't mind letting go of Brian Anderson though.

Ray Finkle said:
ESPN is reporting the White Sox are close to getting both reliever Mike MacDougal from KC and Alfonso Soriano.

For Soriano word is the ChiSox would give up Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson and Josh Fields. That seems like an awful lot to give up for a 3 month player when the team already has a ton of offense. Their starters and pen are the problem, not the hitting.

I wouldn't give up Anderson or McCarthy for Soriano. Then to top it off throw in another top prospect. Maybe Fields is expendable out of the 3 if they lock up Crede long-term. Kenny Williams threw away one of the top prospects in all of baseball for Vazquez in Chris Young now he wants to give up 3 of the top 4 young players in the organization for a guy whose gonna be with the team for 3 months? If Williams makes this trade i've lost alot of faith in him as a front office guy. They've already got the best offense in baseball, scoring runs is not the teams problem. They've still got I think the 2nd best record in baseball and a winning record vs the Tigers. I see no reason to make this deal. Anderson has raised his average around 60 points in about a month and a half, he's coming around and McCarthy should be in the rotation right now but because of the bonehead trade for Vazquez he isn't. This is giving up 3 top flight prospects for a guy whose gonna be on the team for 3 months and it's going to put Podsednik in CF where he hasn't played since Milwaukee. Unless they think Ryan Sweeney or Jerry Owens are going to be ready and Williams has been hitting the bottle the deal is ridiculous.

Ray Finkle said:
I just think Ozzie is becoming a distraction for the team. His actions have gotten old very quickly and I wouldn't be shocked if the ChiSox fail to make the playoffs and have a bad end of the season Ozzie could be cut loose.

I mean if Selig had any guts he'd fine and suspend Ozzie for his actions in the dugout because Ozzie was clearly sending Garland out there to try and hit a batter.

He said before the series if Padilla hits a batter they would retaliate. Every manager does it Ozzie is honest to a fault. I don't like him going after Garland who is the only ChiSox pitcher who is pitching well in front of the cameras but i've gotta place some blame on Garland. It's different if it's Tracy who hasn't been with the team for long but a veteran and an all-star last year shouldn't be done in like that in front of everyone. Garland does have to hit him. Padilla pegged Pierzynski twice earlier and Tracy missed him and got chewed out and Padilla pegged Cintron and Garland missed twice and got chewed out. I don't think Ozzie will lose the team or the clubhouse over trying to protect his players but their is a better way of confronting Garland. If he ever is canned I think Joey Cora would be a lock to take his place.

McCarthy, Anderson AND Fields? Wow, that's a hefty price tag. I give Jim Bowden credit, though; that's got to be the most anyone would give him.

For the Sox, that's a high price to pay, but it does a couple things. First, it keeps Soriano away from the Tigers and Angels, two teams that really could have used him. That, as much as anything, had to be on Kenny Williams' mind. Second, it gives them a HUGE upgrade at an outfield position (I'm assuming Podsednik now moves to CF). Anderson was basically a free out at a position where you need offense. And yeah, he'll probably be good someday, but he sucks right now, and you don't get many chances to win a World Series, let alone two in a row. Having a free out in your lineup can be detrimental to that plan. Plus, Soriano is young enough to help this team for several years, if they can resign him (admittedly, this is no guarantee). Finally, for all the "well, we've got a good offense already" talk, they had one major hole in their offense, and now they've filled it.

Kenny Williams came out today and said that McCarthy is going nowhere and the rumors weren't true.

djfresh47 said:
He said before the series if Padilla hits a batter they would retaliate. Every manager does it Ozzie is honest to a fault. I don't like him going after Garland who is the only ChiSox pitcher who is pitching well in front of the cameras but i've gotta place some blame on Garland. It's different if it's Tracy who hasn't been with the team for long but a veteran and an all-star last year shouldn't be done in like that in front of everyone. Garland does have to hit him. Padilla pegged Pierzynski twice earlier and Tracy missed him and got chewed out and Padilla pegged Cintron and Garland missed twice and got chewed out. I don't think Ozzie will lose the team or the clubhouse over trying to protect his players but their is a better way of confronting Garland. If he ever is canned I think Joey Cora would be a lock to take his place.

Ozzie's act is running old really quickly. Since September he's done so many stupid things (off the top of my head: holding his throat to the Cleveland fans, calling out Arod, bashing random players including his own, yelling at Tracy and Garland in the dugout, and calling a writer a ......). He's already in the dog house with management and they have warned him to knock it off or he'll be canned. Even if he did order Garland to hit a player, whether the pitcher does it or not you don't flip on him in the dugout in the middle of a game. Like I said IF Selig had any stones he'd suspend him. Sure there are managers out there that tell a pitcher to hit a batter but if they don't make it obvious.

phunwin said:
McCarthy, Anderson AND Fields? Wow, that's a hefty price tag. I give Jim Bowden credit, though; that's got to be the most anyone would give him.

For the Sox, that's a high price to pay, but it does a couple things. First, it keeps Soriano away from the Tigers and Angels, two teams that really could have used him. That, as much as anything, had to be on Kenny Williams' mind. Second, it gives them a HUGE upgrade at an outfield position (I'm assuming Podsednik now moves to CF). Anderson was basically a free out at a position where you need offense. And yeah, he'll probably be good someday, but he sucks right now, and you don't get many chances to win a World Series, let alone two in a row. Having a free out in your lineup can be detrimental to that plan. Plus, Soriano is young enough to help this team for several years, if they can resign him (admittedly, this is no guarantee). Finally, for all the "well, we've got a good offense already" talk, they had one major hole in their offense, and now they've filled it.

Every National League team basically has a free out, which is part of the reason i'm very skeptical of the pitchers there. Brian Anderson has been much better and I expect him to continue to get better. Brandon McCarthy was one of two pitchers who could win when the Indians were making their charge late last season; he's gotta have some work with Don Cooper so he doesn't tip his pitches but he's going to be a top 3 pitcher for some team. Soriano has great power numbers but what does that do to the order? Tad Iguchi was awful in preseason batting out of the 6th hole when Ozzie thought about moving Uribe to the 2 hole. I'd just guess that he would be in the 2 or 6 spot, but if the move was done I think i'd want him leadoff and move Podsednik down. For all the "smart" ball the team used last year they're a station to station team this year and Ozzie has had players come in early for bunting and still they're a station to station team. If that trade is made I think it points more to the team knowing that they've got arms in the rotation that have pitched a ton of innings the last two seasons and Williams does not think they're going to hold up. I hate depleting the whole farm system for a guy I don't think they're going to re-sign.

Ray Finkle said:
Ozzie's act is running old really quickly. Since September he's done so many stupid things (off the top of my head: holding his throat to the Cleveland fans, calling out Arod, bashing random players including his own, yelling at Tracy and Garland in the dugout, and calling a writer a ......). He's already in the dog house with management and they have warned him to knock it off or he'll be canned. Even if he did order Garland to hit a player, whether the pitcher does it or not you don't flip on him in the dugout in the middle of a game. Like I said IF Selig had any stones he'd suspend him. Sure there are managers out there that tell a pitcher to hit a batter but if they don't make it obvious.

I don't think Kenny Williams would fire him unless they have a disastorous finish and fail to make the playoffs. Ozzie is a "players" manager and while I don't think he should've went at Garland in public like that I think all the players know that Garland has to retaliate. Going at a guy who right now is the ace of the staff I hate; although part of Garland being an all-star last year was because of Ozzie having the confidence in him to go late into ballgames. Seeing him on PTI and ATH and hearing about him on nationally syndicated talk radio is getting tired; although I think this team needs a kick in the *** and he's going to give it them soon.

Ray Finkle said:
Kenny Williams came out today and said that McCarthy is going nowhere and the rumors weren't true.

On ESPNEWS it says the trade is close, but I will believe it when I see it.:evil:

Ray Finkle said:
ESPN is reporting the White Sox are close to getting both reliever Mike MacDougal from KC and Alfonso Soriano.

For Soriano word is the ChiSox would give up Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson and Josh Fields. That seems like an awful lot to give up for a 3 month player when the team already has a ton of offense. Their starters and pen are the problem, not the hitting.

3 month player? Soriano is the new Left Fiedler in Chicago they will pay him to stay. Posdenick probably moves to Center or is out of town after this year (Ozzie doesn't like him for some reason).

You got a linup of Thome, Korenko, Soriano, Dye........jesus christ thats unreal.

MikeO said:
3 month player? Soriano is the new Left Fiedler in Chicago they will pay him to stay. Posdenick probably moves to Center or is out of town after this year (Ozzie doesn't like him for some reason).

You got a linup of Thome, Korenko, Soriano, Dye........jesus christ thats unreal.

That would be sweet but it's not official yet, still pending according to ESPNEWS.

MikeO said:

If Soriano is re-signed it's a good move if they keep Anderson. Although Vazquez is horrible and the team IMO would be better with McCarthy in the rotation right now rather than him.

djfresh47 said:
If Soriano is re-signed it's a good move if they keep Anderson. Although Vazquez is horrible and the team IMO would be better with McCarthy in the rotation right now rather than him.

I hated the trade for Vasquez, but that is just me.:evil:

Back
Top Bottom