The Great Mistake of signing Hartline: A Waste of #2 WR Money + Foolish Strategy | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Great Mistake of signing Hartline: A Waste of #2 WR Money + Foolish Strategy

What you guys fail to understand is that Hartline doesn't have the natural skill set to beat press coverage. He's been in the league for several years now. Either you have that natural skill set or you don't. That's why I don't value him as a #2. He can get behind the D on occasion if he is not pressed at the line but the throw has to be perfect because he can't get elite separation and doesn't have the extra gear to track the ball and he doesn't have a natural feel for winning contested passes. These are all natural skill sets that can't be taught. Like I said either you have it or you don't. He doesn't. Plain and simple. The second half of the season is full proof. I have yet to read a counter argument that says he can beat press coverage. Until I do with factual evidence supporting your argument I will stand by what I say. And lets not make up injuries as an excuse. That is a cop out and complete BS

FAIL!! on all points.

i havnt seen this many misses since i taught my wife to shoot on the first day!!

i do not have the time in a day to break down all the flaws in this post but the part about injuries DOES play a part, but not how you think. BH came in off a real injury, missed ALL of camp and minis and came in like gang busters and had over a thousand yds and 74 catches coming in cold with a limited experiance, rookie qb, no threat on the other side and not enough run game to get the pressure off the pass game.

your mention of the injury actually HELPS the pro hartline side of the debate.

FAIL!! on all points.

i havnt seen this many misses since i taught my wife to shoot on the first day!!

i do not have the time in a day to break down all the flaws in this post but the part about injuries DOES play a part, but not how you think. BH came in off a real injury, missed ALL of camp and minis and came in like gang busters and had over a thousand yds and 74 catches coming in cold with a limited experiance, rookie qb, no threat on the other side and not enough run game to get the pressure off the pass game.

your mention of the injury actually HELPS the pro hartline side of the debate.

So where is your proof he can beat press coverage. I'll wait. Like I said you can say fail all you guys want but until you show me proof he can beat press coverage Ill stand by my argument. Once teams adjusted and played man press against Hartline in the second half of the year he was shutdown. Why do you guys keep fighting the facts?

With that said his new contract won't hurt us. His cap hit will only be between 2-3 mill for this year so that's not bad for a solid #3 WR.

It's amazing to read all these comments about Hartline who had over 1,000 yards for us. Is he a number 1 receiver, no, but he is still a very good receiver. He is getting better as a receiver as last year was his best year and with a solid QB and other weapons that teams have to respect the TDs the Dolphins score will increase.

Hartline fits what Philbin wants from a wr. Good hands and route running, and above average speed for a possession type receiver. After Wallace and Jennings, who would be better than him in free agency for the same money? There are some really good options in the draft, but other than the kid from A&M who has a connection with Tannehill? Ireland good or bad wants guys right now that can contribute. Hartline and Tannehill are a step a head. He is a solid #2 receiver. And by the way. The td issue with him is not all him. Throw in coaching, playcalling and going to some other guys in that situation.

Dude had 74 catches for near 1100 yards and you people are complaining? Seriously, are you on drugs? How many teams have a number #2 go over 1000 yards? Maybe a handful? IF we bring in Wallace/Jennings and draft a receiver(although I think we go corner) the passing offense is instantly explosive. Stop bitching....Hartline earned his contract. Did he score tds? Not many but I can think of at least 3 occasions where he was wide open and was missed or not hit in stride. Dude had that season as the number one receiver with average qb play. GTFO at Hartline not being a good number 2. If we let him walk the same people would be bitching that Ireland can't keep the our own good players. Its a no win!:rolleyes2:

All I can ask is who would not be happy with a:
Wallace/Jennings-#1
Hartline-#2
Bess-slot

I like Bess but man I would LOVE to have Austin in the slot.....dude is going to be a beast. That being said....our WR becomes a position of strength based on the above line up.

You replace Hartline with Wallace, and you go from there. You DON'T overpay for mediocre number 2 money just to have a roster space filled!

It's pretty simple really.

Draft is full of potentially good to great number 2 WRs. Draft two.

LD

Note: AFCMiamiEast, this was in reply to your post. Forgot to press the reply.

Hartline is far from mediocre, after his big game he got double covered and was quieted down for most of the season. As a number two slot receiver, and with the posibility of Wallace on the other side, Hartline is going to tear it up and could have mulitple 1000 yard, 100 catch seasons. Worth every penny for a decent #1 option to play the number 2 slot position. Wallace wont be cheap, but if they can sign him, along with Hartline and bess, then they can load up on defense in the draft and this team will be giant leaps ahead of last year.

Dude had 74 catches for near 1100 yards and you people are complaining? Seriously, are you on drugs? How many teams have a number #2 go over 1000 yards? Maybe a handful? IF we bring in Wallace/Jennings and draft a receiver(although I think we go corner) the passing offense is instantly explosive. Stop bitching....Hartline earned his contract. Did he score tds? Not many but I can think of at least 3 occasions where he was wide open and was missed or not hit in stride. Dude had that season as the number one receiver with average qb play. GTFO at Hartline not being a good number 2. If we let him walk the same people would be bitching that Ireland can't keep the our own good players. Its a no win!:rolleyes2:

All I can ask is who would not be happy with a:
Wallace/Jennings-#1
Hartline-#2
Bess-slot

I like Bess but man I would LOVE to have Austin in the slot.....dude is going to be a beast. That being said....our WR becomes a position of strength based on the above line up.

First Hartline was our #1 not number 2 WR.... So the 1000 yard thing is not that big of a deal as a #1 wr, and when he was our #2 guy he sucked and not only couldnt score but only had like 650 yards as a career high. I dont understand y poeple think him as a #2 with wallace is going to be any different then him as a #2 with marshall. The facts r the guy cant score. Tds win games and he cant score them. 6 mill a year for a guy that averages 1.5 Tds a season sucks. Out of those handful #2 WRs with 1000 yards ur talking about please tell me how many had 1 TD or less. I bet you Hartline is the only one. I would rather have a #2 that give me 700-800 yards but scores 4-5 TDs a year. I just hope all the hartline lovers come back on here middle of next season when he is underachieving and has like 300 yards and 1 TD 10 games into the season and eat crow, cuz ill be here ready to say i told u so.

Hartline is far from mediocre, after his big game he got double covered and was quieted down for most of the season. As a number two slot receiver, and with the posibility of Wallace on the other side, Hartline is going to tear it up and could have mulitple 1000 yard, 100 catch seasons. Worth every penny for a decent #1 option to play the number 2 slot position. Wallace wont be cheap, but if they can sign him, along with Hartline and bess, then they can load up on defense in the draft and this team will be giant leaps ahead of last year.

R u serious?!?!?!? No way you r serious.... i mean really?!?!?! you think Hartline is going to have multiple 1000 yard season with 100+ catches..... hahahaha. Wow you know nothing about football. He is a terrible #1 WR and a below average #2 WR and u think he is going to be a top 10 Wr in the league. Wow now i have heard it all. This guy wont have more then like 60-65 catches again for the year and if he has another 1000 yard season its because the real #1 guy gets hurt game 1 and hartline will be the only guy out there. He didnt do it with Marshall here what makes u think it will be any different now. Wow just wow..... This cant be a real post. Am i getting punked?

You completely missed the point. Point is, he is not a number one, but performed better than most other teams number one and wants number 2 money. #2 money is 6 million a year so we are not overpaying as he is a solid number 2

Yes, he did. The OP and other posters only value skill. They seem to not understand the value exceeding expected performance. They do not value playing well while hurt.

You must keep continuity for Tannehill. The contract isnt outrageous, its what we would have gotten on the market.

Number one Hartline isn't slow. He is miscast as a number one receiver for sure, but as a number 2 going against lesser corners he will get open often and be a great weapon for this team. Also, he has a chemistry with Tannehill.

Hartline had a 1000 yards with a rookie QB. Hartline Had A 1000 yards with Ryan Tannehill. He got paid and now you wanna Hate. That is some babyback bullsh*t. I'm just getting my popcorn ready for year two with a real QB. p.s. when a WR is instramental in a drive and then Ja'Horse'kie Lane punches it in, Don't act like the guy is garbage. Touchdowns are a team effort.

When we go 7-9, Ireland gets fired, and we're stuck with hartline for an extra 4 years. I'm going to bump this thread.

Back
Top Bottom