The Great Quarterback Debate... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Great Quarterback Debate...

Finfanforever said:
All the info I heard was that Cutler SOLIDIFIED himself as a mid-to-top FIRST ROUNDER. Mel Kiper as well as Romeo Cromel (Browns) and others backed up that opinion.

Mel Kiper....please.

Try looking at more experts....but my advice is to wait alittle bit...let the air clear out...and then see what they have to say.

I heard ex-players on ESPN...disputing what Kiper was saying...but thats nothing new...like I said...it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Trekbiz said:
Dude it's not even worth trying to talk logically with many on this board. Many just don't get it. :lol:

If only it was just so easy as to look up stats and find an athlete that will dominate at the NFL level.

Want a laugh, refer back to this thread in 3 years as by then we'll see where every prospect ends up.

Yeah I know, if stats were the determining factor for a successful pro career Ty Detmer would have been Dan Marino!

For those that are harping on Cutlers stats look ole' Ty up. He holds a ton of NCAA records and where is he now? Oh Oh Oh and what about Big Andre Ware, his stats were second to none where did that get him. When looking at college player you look at his past, but you have to look at his potential. This is where Cutler gets his value, he has prototypical size, he can toss the ball a long way, he can run if need be, and he has proven that he is a leader on the field. You want to know why people are infatuated, thats why. The guy almost single handedly beat UF, he can flat out play!!!

Nicky Napoleon said:
Yeah I know, if stats were the determining factor for a successful pro career Ty Detmer would have been Dan Marino!

For those that are harping on Cutlers stats look ole' Ty up. He holds a ton of NCAA records and where is he now? Oh Oh Oh and what about Big Andre Ware, his stats were second to none where did that get him. When looking at college player you look at his past, but you have to look at his potential. This is where Cutler gets his value, he has prototypical size, he can toss the ball a long way, he can run if need be, and he has proven that he is a leader on the field. You want to know why people are infatuated, thats why. The guy almost single handedly beat UF, he can flat out play!!!

People that can "almost win" are worth exactly the same as people that can "totally lose". :wink:

My problem with Cutler is that he is exactly the kind of guy that gets totally overvalued in the draft and flops in the NFL. When people fall in love with Size and Arm Strength, I say it's time to be cautious... because those are the two most blinding characteristics a guy can have.

As far as the "leader on the field"... what are you basing that on? He didn't win. He didn't really elevate the play of those around him.

I am very nervous about his intangibles and his accuracy. And those, to me, are number one and two on the importance scale. Everything else is great and important... but if you let size and arm strength dictate your qb drafting, you are in huge trouble. And you are going to have to overpay.

nopony said:
What is he supposed to base it on for two college players? High school stats? Horoscopes?

Arguing against the use of stats in evaluation is the halllmark of someone who is losing an argument.

There are plenty of true, real stats in Cutler's favor. They matter... so do the bad ones. And putting them all in context is the key.. yes, it matters who he played with and against... how much? That's the room for debate.

And he took them to what? A 3-6 record or something? Just because someone is on the opposite side of the argument from you doesn't mean their bias invalidates what they say. Especially if they are using facts and stats.

There are a lot of ways to defend Cutler and a lot of ways to deride him... he is an inconsistent and puzzling player to evaluate.

It's fair to look at all that.

a) re the use of stats - if that's your sole criteria for evaluating the potential of college qb's, then you're doing a disservice to the debate in general. to say that kellen clemens is at least as good as, if not better, than cutler and base your argument solely on the stats is weak. if stats ruled the day, why don't i read any "draft cody hodges" or "draft brett basenez" threads. better people than i - the ones that get paid to engage in this sort of analysis - have ranked cutler where they have ranked him.

b) those who advocate the drafting of cutler don't necessarily use stats for their argument. moreso, it's the intangibles, the physical tools, the potential.

c) vanderbilt's record this year - 5 and 6 - would have been a hell of a lot worse without cutler. name another guy who plays on that team. name one that will get drafted. and it's 5 and 6 in the sec, not that mac or a junior conference. and that should matter, quite a bit. and for fun, let's look at his stats in the last three games. vandy goes 1 and 2 in those games (beat tennessee, lost to florida and kentucky) - losing record, what a shame. cutler's numbers: 147 attempts, 94 completions (64%), 1071 yards, 12 td's, 2 int's. those numbers seem pretty ok to me, but what do i know?

d) a bias can contribute to invalidating one's argument when it becomes the starting point from which one makes their case. if i've already decided that a player is great or sucks, then conveniently edit my evaluation tools to support my bias (rather than my argument), then i'm not really contributing much to the debate.

but of course, this is all just my opinion, and that and a quarter will get you a phone call...or is it 35 cents these days....

a) re the use of stats - if that's your sole criteria for evaluating the potential of college qb's, then you're doing a disservice to the debate in general. to say that kellen clemens is at least as good as, if not better, than cutler and base your argument solely on the stats is weak. if stats ruled the day, why don't i read any "draft cody hodges" or "draft brett basenez" threads. better people than i - the ones that get paid to engage in this sort of analysis - have ranked cutler where they have ranked him.

Absolutely. That's called context.

But I wasn't insulting context. Stats were being insulted and that's just silly. That's like arguing you don't like facts.

b) those who advocate the drafting of cutler don't necessarily use stats for their argument. moreso, it's the intangibles, the physical tools, the potential.

The first two, if valuable SHOW UP IN THE STATS. Why would anyone think a 5-6 or whatever he was who lost big games and choked in his showcase has intangibles? Not saying he doesn't, but what makes anyone think he DOES?

If you don't know, or can't prove it, then it's irrelevant.

As for the potential... again, WHY? What makes him have anywhere near the potential of Leinart or Young?

c) vanderbilt's record this year - 5 and 6 - would have been a hell of a lot worse without cutler. name another guy who plays on that team. name one that will get drafted. and it's 5 and 6 in the sec, not that mac or a junior conference. and that should matter, quite a bit. and for fun, let's look at his stats in the last three games. vandy goes 1 and 2 in those games (beat tennessee, lost to florida and kentucky) - losing record, what a shame. cutler's numbers: 147 attempts, 94 completions (64%), 1071 yards, 12 td's, 2 int's. those numbers seem pretty ok to me, but what do i know?

I agree, Vanderbilt stinks. Cutler didn't really make them NOT stink.

And those numbers are great. Must have had some really stinky games early, since those are much better than his season.

Again, I'm not particularly anti-cutler, but I fail to see why he is so coveted. I bet half the people that are dying to have him on the team never even saw him play before yesterday.

To me, honestly, he sounds like a good 2nd round project. You shouldn't sell the farm to get a guy who has bust warning signs on him. He could be fantastic, but he has a much bigger chance of busting than a guy like Leinart or Young.

d) a bias can contribute to invalidating one's argument when it becomes the starting point from which one makes their case. if i've already decided that a player is great or sucks, then conveniently edit my evaluation tools to support my bias (rather than my argument), then i'm not really contributing much to the debate.

Sure you COULD. But you are assuming that the bias led to the "facts" instead of the much more likely "facts led to the bias."

if you really think bias invalidates something someone is saying you need to show that they have something personal invested in player a's success or failure. That's bias.

Not loving a quarterback because the facts or your experience led you to that conclusion isn't bias...

but of course, this is all just my opinion, and that and a quarter will get you a phone call...or is it 35 cents these days

Sure, mine too.

And my guess is that Cutler is the third best qb in the draft. But he's not in the same league as Young or Leinart. At this point he's all potenial and a lot more question marks than those guys.

As to the original argument, please don't think I disagree. Stats are not very useful if you ignore context.. but you can't let overvalue the context either. Just because Cutler gets context points for playing on a bad team doesn't mean that means enough to think he's as good as the elite.

Sometimes a big fish in a small pond, is a pretty small fish in the lake.

nopony said:
I agree, Vanderbilt stinks. Cutler didn't really make them NOT stink.

And those numbers are great. Must have had some really stinky games early, since those are much better than his season.

if you really think bias invalidates something someone is saying you need to show that they have something personal invested in player a's success or failure. That's bias.

Not loving a quarterback because the facts or your experience led you to that conclusion isn't bias...

And my guess is that Cutler is the third best qb in the draft. But he's not in the same league as Young or Leinart. At this point he's all potenial and a lot more question marks than those guys.

As to the original argument, please don't think I disagree. Stats are not very useful if you ignore context.. but you can't let overvalue the context either. Just because Cutler gets context points for playing on a bad team doesn't mean that means enough to think he's as good as the elite.

Sometimes a big fish in a small pond, is a pretty small fish in the lake.

the only game he really stunk in was the LSU game; he otherwise had some marginal numbers in a few games. i think the reason he garners so much favour is because, as you say, he's the third best qb and that means we have a shot at drafting him, and he has some pretty decent credentials. saban/mueller will do what's best, and i have no trouble trusting them. this is obviously something that can be debated until the cows come home.

the context is interesting though - where would leinhart be ranked if he played for a team other than usc? playing on that offense would make a lot of marginal talents look awfully good. not to say he's marginal, but i'd be willing to bet he benefits from as much undeserved hype as cutler does. that is, if the hype is making cutler a top ten pick (when he should be a second round project), then how much has the hype (of playing on USC, with reggie bush, lendale white and that offensive line) pushed leinhart's stock up? maybe in leinhart's case, hype is the wrong word, but i'm sure you catch my drift. how would leinhart look playing for vanderbilt? we'll never know, but we may get an idea - when leinhart is playing for new orleans or tennessee.

cowtowndick said:
the context is interesting though - where would leinhart be ranked if he played for a team other than usc? playing on that offense would make a lot of marginal talents look awfully good. not to say he's marginal, but i'd be willing to bet he benefits from as much undeserved hype as cutler does. that is, if the hype is making cutler a top ten pick (when he should be a second round project), then how much has the hype (of playing on USC, with reggie bush, lendale white and that offensive line) pushed leinhart's stock up? maybe in leinhart's case, hype is the wrong word, but i'm sure you catch my drift. how would leinhart look playing for vanderbilt? we'll never know, but we may get an idea - when leinhart is playing for new orleans or tennessee.
he probably wouldn't be as good on vanderbilt, but they run a non pro-style offense. in cutler's first 2 years, it was pretty much based on the option in fact. i doubt leinart would succeed there. he'd have good passing numbers, but wouldn't throw the ball enough (unless the coaching staff utilized the scheme to his talents of course). however, this past year, vanderbilt had a lot of plays with open sets run out of the shotgun, so i don't see why leinart wouldn't do well there. he'd be just as raw as cutler coming out, though, and cutler would've benefited from good coaches at USC.

Nicky Napoleon said:

O.K. Young was the number 1 QB and player in the Nation, coming out of High School...Young was a man playing with boys in High School...Young played behind the center in High School....now...Young was a man playing with boys in college...he made some future number one linebackers and other defenders look silly...he won numerous awards and the National championship...and I believe most would say he won that game, almost single handedly, 467 yds combined offense...when is the last time a QB has done that in a Bowl game of that stature?
He's 6'5" 235 runs a 4.4/40...he can throw as far as anyone in the draft...and if he isn't a proven winner and leader...I don't know what anyone would be looking for in a player.

it's impossible to tell how he'll play in a NFL offense. i'd want a QB who's proven he can play in one.

Juan Cribbs said:
it's impossible to tell how he'll play in a NFL offense. i'd want a QB who's proven he can play in one.

What QB has or hasn't proved that? Since none have played in the NFL...there all unknowns..in that point.

Miami_Dolphins said:
You all need to get your heads out of cutlers but and realize you are overhyping him so much. You believe all the rumors and all the reports from the guys, and it's sickening. You look at his TD in the senior bowl, andyou act like its the next amazing play of the century. Not the fact that he was almost picked like 3 plays before, and wa spicked in the endzone beforehand, but because he threw a TD hes amazing. You say that you need to watch all the games, and his stats dont tell me he was amazing. He's a white michael vick, with 2 times less potential.

Im done arguing with people that are convinced cutler is god, and refuse to believe anything else.

Thats good, because you have really embarrassed yourself with this thread, one only has to read thru your posts to realize that you really don't have a clue.

BlueFin said:
Thats good, because you have really embarrassed yourself with this thread, one only has to read thru your posts to realize that you really don't have a clue.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

BlueFin said:

I find it sad that some here believe they have a clue...when they don't have any idea what their doing. It's all opinion..Blue...yours, mine...his...every one.

Saying you don't agree is one thing...but saying you know for sure is just crap...and you know it. I'd look in the mirror and see who's embarrassing themselves...before you throw a stone.

fishypete said:
I find it sad that some here believe they have a clue...when they don't have any idea what their doing. It's all opinion..Blue...yours, mine...his...every one.

Saying you don't agree is one thing...but saying you know for sure is just crap...and you know it. I'd look in the mirror and see who's embarrassing themselves...before you throw a stone.

Well if thats not calling the kettle black.............:eek:

Back
Top Bottom