The Great Quarterback Debate... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Great Quarterback Debate...

Miami_Dolphins said:
Omar Jacobs is, IMO, a better guy to lead miami. Would i be happy with him or cutler? Sure.

Don't laugh but of all the QBs who has a chance to really go up, Jacobs has by far the most ability. With a good combine, he can do quite a bit.

Miami_Dolphins said:
2006 Draft Class

Also, here's a little brainbuster for all the cutler lovers

*career #s, unless noted*

Player A: 815 completions, 1,366 attempts, 60% completion, 49 TD, 46 INT, 2414 yds/season
Player B: 710 completions, 1242 attempts, 57.1% completion, 59 TD, 36 INT, avg. 2,174 yds/season,
Player C: 523 completions, 811 attempts, 64.5% completion, 71 TD, 11 INT, 2,313 yds/season

You tell me who looks the best out of those 3, and no cheating by looking up the stats. Tell me, by looking at those numbers, who looks best.

Really holds no credence to the fact that Cutler raised his stock significantly at the Senior bowl. The fact is that he got the attention of the scouts and answered several questions there was about his skills, whether or not he has great stats to back it up....He's now projected to go in the top 10...now, that could change with poor combine or individual workouts and interviews, but gotta give him credit for what he's done this past week.

The problem is that the main focus of NFL success is directed to the QB, therefore any and every QB gets over-evaluated and over-hyped to his actual ability in relationship to his potential. Cutler may be the next Marino or may be the next Ryan Leaf and so may Leinart, Jacobs, Eli Manning, Rivers, and every other recently drafted or to-be-drafted college QB...

The arguments can go on forever until these guys prove something....

BTW, while stats can usually tell a good story of a guys ability, it's not the ultimate tell-all. For example, the stats say that Gus has about 55-57% completion rate this past year (don't remember the exact rate), but if you saw him play and watch what the receivers had to do to catch many of his passes, you'd have to say he was a lot worse. Unfortunately there is no stat for passes that the receivers caught, but were late to them, behind them, too far in front of them, or had them contorting their bodies to make the catch or altering their routes...that also affects YACs, but there is no stat for that....so, QB stats do not tell the entire story, just parts of the total story...

Jaj said:
Don't laugh but of all the QBs who has a chance to really go up, Jacobs has by far the most ability. With a good combine, he can do quite a bit.

true because he was a slated first rounder before all the Young-Cutler hoopla began plus he had a sub-par season

"Rumors of an Aaron Rodgers-like draft slide for USC quarterback Matt Leinart are already being discussed."

Interesting

That's impossible though because Miami would pick him and not even blink.

Miami_Dolphins said:
2006 Draft Class

Player A: 815 completions, 1,366 attempts, 60% completion, 49 TD, 46 INT, 2414 yds/season
Player B: 710 completions, 1242 attempts, 57.1% completion, 59 TD, 36 INT, avg. 2,174 yds/season,
Player C: 523 completions, 811 attempts, 64.5% completion, 71 TD, 11 INT, 2,313 yds/season

You tell me who looks the best out of those 3, and no cheating by looking up the stats. Tell me, by looking at those numbers, who looks best.

How about Player D:

Total 625 completions 1083 attempts 57% completion 7905 yards 74 TD's 64 Interceptions.

Based on your stat analysis, Player C is going to be a much better NFL Qb than Player D as well.......

Can anyone guess who player D is?

Player D is Dan Marino. His college stats from Pitt.

You can see exactly how much those stats mean in determining an NFL prospect.

Miami_Dolphins said:
2006 Draft Class
Matt Leinart
Vince Young
Jay Cutler
Paul Pinegar
Darrell Hackney
Brodie Croyle
Omar Jacobs
Brad Smith
Bruce Gradkowski
Josh Betts
Drew Olson
Charlie Whitehurst
Reggie McNeal
Ingle Martin
Jay Davis
Macus Vick
Kellen Clemens
Bruce Eugene
Brett Basenez

2006 Free Agency
Player Type 2005 Team
Anthony Wright UFA Ravens
Charlie Batch
UFA Steelers
Chris Simms
RFA Buccaneers
Chris Weinke UFA Panthers
Craig Nall UFA Packers
Damon Huard
UFA Chiefs
Dave Ragone RFA Texans
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
Drew Brees
UFA Chargers
Jamie Martin
UFA Rams
Jeff Blake UFA Bears
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
Jesse Palmer
UFA 49ers
Jon Kitna
UFA Bengals
Josh McCown
UFA Cardinals
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury
RFA Jets
Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals
Sage Rosenfels
UFA Dolphins
Seneca Wallace
RFA Seahawks
Shane Matthews UFA Bills
Shaun Hill
UFA Vikings
Tim Hasselbeck
UFA Giants
Todd Collins
UFA Chiefs
Ty Detmer
UFA
Vinny
Testaverde UFA Jets

2006 Trade Possibilities
Dante Culpepper-Vikings
Philip Rivers-Chargers

Why don't you also mention what level of college they played in (Div 1, Div 2 etc)?

Pocoloco said:
Don't take the Senior Bowl as a true reflection of Cutler's future career, we were all hoping he'd have a terrible game, and he did. Now maybe we can get a shot at him. I'd go back to some college tape and evaluate his pocket presence at different stages of the game before I give up on him.

However, I do agree that Rivers will be better than Cutler (and Rivers is seasoned now, we don't have to wait two years). If we could get him for our first and Madison, I would do it. But I doubt San Diego lets him go with Brees' injury.

Seasoned with what? Salt and pepper :D
The guy hasn't played. I'd rather see the Dolphins inquire about Carr.

LarryFinFan said:
Really holds no credence to the fact that Cutler raised his stock significantly at the Senior bowl. The fact is that he got the attention of the scouts and answered several questions there was about his skills, whether or not he has great stats to back it up....He's now projected to go in the top 10...now, that could change with poor combine or individual workouts and interviews, but gotta give him credit for what he's done this past week.

The problem is that the main focus of NFL success is directed to the QB, therefore any and every QB gets over-evaluated and over-hyped to his actual ability in relationship to his potential. Cutler may be the next Marino or may be the next Ryan Leaf and so may Leinart, Jacobs, Eli Manning, Rivers, and every other recently drafted or to-be-drafted college QB...

The arguments can go on forever until these guys prove something....

BTW, while stats can usually tell a good story of a guys ability, it's not the ultimate tell-all. For example, the stats say that Gus has about 55-57% completion rate this past year (don't remember the exact rate), but if you saw him play and watch what the receivers had to do to catch many of his passes, you'd have to say he was a lot worse. Unfortunately there is no stat for passes that the receivers caught, but were late to them, behind them, too far in front of them, or had them contorting their bodies to make the catch or altering their routes...that also affects YACs, but there is no stat for that....so, QB stats do not tell the entire story, just parts of the total story...

How did he raise his stock up? His practices were average....his bowl game was below average...unless you consider 32% comp rating good. You can make excuses for him...but then you have to make the same excuses for all of the QB's....they all had the same conditions.

I do like Jacobs, the guy has a boatload of talent. Wouldn't be upset if we drafted him.

Miami_Dolphins said:
Omar Jacobs is better than Jay Cutler. Honest opinion, not joking one bit.

Bowling Green doesn't exactly play in the SEC. I think I'd rather rely on the opinions of those who get paid to make personnel decisions.
Jacobs is a project and is very raw. He also will face a big step up in competition from college to the NFL. Not so with Cutler, Croyle or Whitehurst. They all played against top competition.

LarryFinFan said:
BTW Gus only completed a dreadful 51%
And his YPA was among the lowest in the league.

Miami_Dolphins said:
Omar Jacobs is better than Jay Cutler. Honest opinion, not joking one bit.

What would make you say that?

saves said:
What would make you say that?

My honest opinion. Jacobs has a lot of potential, which is why i think he's got the potential to be much better than cutler.

Miami_Dolphins said:
My honest opinion. Jacobs has a lot of potential, which is why i think he's got the potential to be much better than cutler.
you can form an opinion based on nothing very easily. give reasons why you think player A is better than player B, instead of just saying "that's how i feel." otherwise you're just picking favorites.

Back
Top Bottom