The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill

Tanner Lee, Chase Litton, Riley Ferguson... There's good developmental qbs outside the first round. In terms of translation into our offense I'd rank Lee my second favorite after Rosen, with Mayfield third. Lee actually looks better than Rosen to me sometimes. He just played with an HC/OC and supporting cast that didn't help him much.
I been vouching for this guy all year. Lee has the measureables to be a kid they can develop behind Tannehill. He’s got the size, hand size and arm strength to make a good QB, not to mention he played really well against Ohio state and Penn state.

By your logic, Miami would be selecting the 8th best QB anyway because the following teams all have QB issues and pick ahead of the Dolphins:

Browns - No QB
Giants - Eli is nearly done
Colts - Luck may never throw again
Broncos - No QB
Jets - No QB
Buccaneers - Winston is mediocre
Raiders - Carr has been injured and failed miserably this season

So, do you advocate taking the 8th best QB in the draft?

Welcome to the real world.

If you think the Bucs, Raiders, and Colts, are drafting a QB you are the one I need to welcome to the real world. I do not want Miami to reach for a QB obviously, but if one is available that has a first round grade its worthy of serious consideration. To find a #2 QB in free agency you will have to spend starter money, and we can't afford to do that. The only way for Miami to get a good back up is to draft one in the first or second round and hope your scouting team did a good job. I am not even saying I want said QB to out duel RT and win the job, as I would much rather have Ryan rise above, and be a franchise guy. What I am strongly opposed to is letting another season be wasted because we are banking on a guy who hasn't played in the past 20 Miami Dolphin football games. A guy who has never won more than 8 games in an NFL season.

The reality for Miami is also that Ryan Tannehill was flourishing in Gase's system before the injury, and Adam Gase (see Jay Ajayi) is very much in charge. Sure if a top QB talent were to fall to #11 you would have to consider that, BPA is always a wise philosophy. But the reality is @ #11 there are usually issues with the QB's that are still on the board, is it really worth taking that risk on a QB if a talent like Derwin James is on the board? Someone like James can help this defense which sucks immediately, a back up QB, similar to the K.C situation this year, may do nothing to benefit the team at all, and can force your hand come contract time. Luckily for Tannehill supporters like myself, we know Adam Gase is smarter than the average fan and will continue to stay the course with Tannehill, because he knows what kind of a talent he has in him. Back up QB's are important, but we don't NEED to draft one in the first round, especially when a premium non-QB prospect is likely to fall into our laps. Look at the NFC championship game this year, those teams didn't need 1st round back up QB's on their rosters to continue to succeed. But both of those teams are much better overall than the Dolphins, until we fix our team, we will continue to lose despite which QB people are praying for @ #11. Second round and on, sure you consider taking a backup QB if you like the ones still on the board, but @ #11, you better be damn sure because you are passing up a lot of premium talent that we desperately need, in reality.

Flourishing is strong word for an 8-5 record on a team that didn't start winning till scrapped the offensive scheme and became a run first team.

If you think the Bucs, Raiders, and Colts, are drafting a QB you are the one I need to welcome to the real world.

Why? Especially the Colts. Luck is 10-12 in his last 22 starts. Luck has missed nearly as much time as Tannehill. His injury is to his THROWING SHOULDER and recent reports indicate that it has not improved to the point where he can throw. The Colts went 4-12 with Luck's backup.

Both Winston and Carr have a worse winning % than Tannehill.

Where the hell is the consistency in reasoning?

Flourishing is strong word for an 8-5 record on a team that didn't start winning till scrapped the offensive scheme and became a run first team.

Naw he was flourishing, the stats don't lie but I'm too lazy to look them up. He started off the season rough but was playing great football down the stretch, particularly in the Minnesota game, I know because I saw. Did people criticize Russel Wilson when he won the SB with the #1 defense and highest run to pass ratio in football? It's a team game, and Gase knows we can win with Tannehill, that's all that matters. There's a lot of problems on this team, back up QB is one of them, Tannehill is not.

Miami was never a fun first team last year.

231 rushes on 1st down compared to 178 passes on first down says that you are dead wrong. Interesting enough all the other years are the other way around other than Ryan's first year. His best production is when we run the ball.

231 rushes on 1st down compared to 178 passes on first down says that you are dead wrong. Interesting enough all the other years are the other way around other than Ryan's first year. His best production is when we run the ball.

You mean to tell me an NFL QB benefits from an effective run game? Shocking...

You need to look up the meaning of the word premise, as that was not my premise.

Okay, sure.....

premise - a previous statement or proposition from which another is inferred or follows as a conclusion.

I could have sworn that you wrote this:

We have had sustained mediocrity because we have been mediocre at QB for 17 years.

You concluded that we have been mediocre BECAUSE we have been mediocre at QB for 17 years. Can I assume that you are using the 2012 - 2016 seasons in those 17 years?

Another way to phrase that is: Dolphins mediocre QBs are the cause for the mediocre team play.

Your premise is wrong and so is your logic. The Dolphins have been mediocre because they have been either poorly coached or lacking in talent or both.

Its weird, When Ryan has a good running game like in 2016 and he has good passing numbers he is making great improvements.
When Dalton, Bortles or Wilson have good passing seasons and are propped up by the running game they are being propped up.

Naw he was flourishing, the stats don't lie but I'm too lazy to look them up. He started off the season rough but was playing great football down the stretch, particularly in the Minnesota game, I know because I saw. Did people criticize Russel Wilson when he won the SB with the #1 defense and highest run to pass ratio in football? It's a team game, and Gase knows we can win with Tannehill, that's all that matters. There's a lot of problems on this team, back up QB is one of them, Tannehill is not.

We didn't play Minn in 2016 but Tannehill had a great game against them in 2014.

You mean to tell me an NFL QB benefits from an effective run game? Shocking...

Yep, too bad our coaching staff won't stick to it and build a physical team. You think we had a top 5 QB as much as we throw it. Run the ball and make 3rd down passes. It isn't that hard. Bortles did it.

Its weird, When Ryan has a good running game like in 2016 and he has good passing numbers he is making great improvements.
When Dalton, Bortles or Wilson have good passing seasons and are propped up by the running game they are being propped up.
Actually its the opposite.

When Tannehill has no running game and production suffers, it is an excuse. When anyone else has no running game and production suffers it is a reason.

Yep, too bad our coaching staff won't stick to it and build a physical team. You think we had a top 5 QB as much as we throw it. Run the ball and make 3rd down passes. It isn't that hard. Bortles did it.

I concur, but you need to invest resources into players like that big Ogre from Notre Dame if you want to do that, not waste them on back up QB's with accuracy issues like Josh Allen.

Back
Top Bottom