The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill

Facts appear to be your achilles heal.

He had 1 ACL injury, not two achilles injuries.

RT is so tough his ACL refused to tear.
Wait a min, speeling is yourn Achilles.....lol Maybe use heel instead of heal for the foot area?

QB's have come back from knee injuries all the time and Tannehill was an iron man prior. Especially with all the hits he took. Sam Bradford, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Teddy Bridegwater (although not technically back in a game sense).

Again, that's your opinion. You can't definitively say I'm wrong.
He had an ACL injury, sustained from a hit during a game. Fact? Fact. We can agree on this.

He came back from this injury, according to the Dolphins. Fact? Fact, we can agree on this, as he was taking all the reps in off season and was ready to lead the team.

He then went down again.

In my opinion, this is a new injury, if the Dolphins claim the original injury was fixed. Which they did.

Maybe now they're saying they're wrong, but at the time, their actions said they thought he was fixed, and then he went down again.

Incidentally, do you work in the medical profession? I don't. So, when you tell me that ACL injuries don't repair themselves, I can't disagree with you. Although, I'm guessing the surgeon Tannehill initially went to would disagree, since his suggested treatment was stem cell treatment or whatever it was.

There's not much more point discussing this. It's all semantics. 1 injury, 2 injuries, doesn't matter what we consider it. It's all opinion, based on our interpretation of partial facts.

He had two injuries, impacting the same part of his body. He had 1 repair. What people worry about is the amount of damage to a single part of the body because those surgeries are hard on the body, leave scare tissue, and the person might not be the level athlete as they were before.

This is NOT the issue with RT's two different injuries. His ACL was damaged. They thought through a combination of rehab and other non-invasive procedures, he could get the knee structurally strong enough to avoid the risks of surgery AND get him ready to play faster. They were wrong. He then had 1 surgery and that kind of surgery is pretty magical and low risk these days, especially when there isn't a much other damage to the knee (and none was reported).

The open issues as a result of this mess:
* Will the injury be in RT's head such that he has a harder time hanging in the pocket and taking hits -- making him a lesser QB
* Will he trust his knee and take off when he has the need to break from the pocket
* Does he change his throwing motion in any way because he doesn't trust his knee / still has pain / it's weaker and he can't move in the same way as before

Interestingly enough, these are all the same issues ANY team faces when their QB comes back from a knee repair. Is there risk: yes. Is the risk high: not really -- but there have been QBs who just weren't the same for a year or two until they fully healed (head and body).

I think it's worth noting while all the anti-tannehill's here are trying to make a big deal about a relatively benign ACL repair, Minnesota is thinking about what to do with Teddy Bridgewater, who had a catastrophic injury. While the jury is still out if Teddy can still play or if anyone will give him a chance (likely, but most likely in some kind of prove it deal), if they are even talking about Teddy, that should show everyone two things:
* Tannehill's injury isn't really worth this level of worry -- there is risk, but it's pretty low as far as injuries go
* Just how few top 15 QB's are out there because someone will likely take a risk on Teddy even with his knee because high football IQ and arm talent is in such a short supply.

Again, that's your opinion. You can't definitively say I'm wrong.
He had an ACL injury, sustained from a hit during a game. Fact? Fact. We can agree on this.

He came back from this injury, according to the Dolphins. Fact? Fact, we can agree on this, as he was taking all the reps in off season and was ready to lead the team.

He then went down again.

In my opinion, this is a new injury, if the Dolphins claim the original injury was fixed. Which they did.

Maybe now they're saying they're wrong, but at the time, their actions said they thought he was fixed, and then he went down again.

Incidentally, do you work in the medical profession? I don't. So, when you tell me that ACL injuries don't repair themselves, I can't disagree with you. Although, I'm guessing the surgeon Tannehill initially went to would disagree, since his suggested treatment was stem cell treatment or whatever it was.

There's not much more point discussing this. It's all semantics. 1 injury, 2 injuries, doesn't matter what we consider it. It's all opinion, based on our interpretation of partial facts.

I have never read any report that claimed the second incident resulted in a new tear in a different spot. In fact, it was reported that there was no new structural damage to the knee. The issue was that the second incident demonstrated that the knee was unstable as a result of the original injury and that additional rest/rehabilitation was not going to stabilize the knee. That is when surgery was chosen as the option to replace the ACL that was injured in 2016.

I have never read any report that claimed the second incident resulted in a new tear in a different spot. In fact, it was reported that there was no new structural damage to the knee. The issue was that the second incident demonstrated that the knee was unstable as a result of the original injury and that additional rest/rehabilitation was not going to stabilize the knee. That is when surgery was chosen as the option to replace the ACL that was injured in 2016.
Fair enough. I remember reading that they were calling initial thing a sprain, not a tear. And then there was the tear after second one.

Either way, fingers crossed he comes back as strong as he was, and doesn't lose too much mobility. He's a tough cookie, so I'm hopeful it won't affect him too much mentally. God knows we need a big year from 17.

Wait a min, speeling is yourn Achilles.....lol Maybe use heel instead of heal for the foot area?

I didn't actually misspell the word, I used the wrong definition of it.

So that's a grammar mistake and not a spelling mistake. Great use of your 1 post.

Good luck in your quest to gain respect.

He had two injuries, impacting the same part of his body. He had 1 repair. What people worry about is the amount of damage to a single part of the body because those surgeries are hard on the body, leave scare tissue, and the person might not be the level athlete as they were before.

This is NOT the issue with RT's two different injuries. His ACL was damaged. They thought through a combination of rehab and other non-invasive procedures, he could get the knee structurally strong enough to avoid the risks of surgery AND get him ready to play faster. They were wrong. He then had 1 surgery and that kind of surgery is pretty magical and low risk these days, especially when there isn't a much other damage to the knee (and none was reported).

The open issues as a result of this mess:
* Will the injury be in RT's head such that he has a harder time hanging in the pocket and taking hits -- making him a lesser QB
* Will he trust his knee and take off when he has the need to break from the pocket
* Does he change his throwing motion in any way because he doesn't trust his knee / still has pain / it's weaker and he can't move in the same way as before

Interestingly enough, these are all the same issues ANY team faces when their QB comes back from a knee repair. Is there risk: yes. Is the risk high: not really -- but there have been QBs who just weren't the same for a year or two until they fully healed (head and body).

I think it's worth noting while all the anti-tannehill's here are trying to make a big deal about a relatively benign ACL repair, Minnesota is thinking about what to do with Teddy Bridgewater, who had a catastrophic injury. While the jury is still out if Teddy can still play or if anyone will give him a chance (likely, but most likely in some kind of prove it deal), if they are even talking about Teddy, that should show everyone two things:
* Tannehill's injury isn't really worth this level of worry -- there is risk, but it's pretty low as far as injuries go
* Just how few top 15 QB's are out there because someone will likely take a risk on Teddy even with his knee because high football IQ and arm talent is in such a short supply.
Yup, that's what I felt, two injuries. Others disagree.

As for the open issues on RT, my thoughts would be:

* I don't think it'll be in his head - he's shown throughout the course of his career that he's tough physically, and mentally. That boy has been getting lampooned in the pocket throughout his entire career, and he's week after week stood in there and taken a beating. I expect him to come back strong as ever (fingers crossed).
* One thing I'd wonder - will he have the same mobility - even beyond the trust issues? Will the brace affect him?
* I don't think he will.

I do worry about his mobility also.. one of his strongest suits especially as pertains to his great accuracy when rolling out. Hopefully he won't miss a step (pardon the pun) when he returns.

Now IMO, I think folks are getting bogged down by semantics. Yes, that particular ACL was an issue twice, but the first time rather than being "repaired," it "healed" on its own with therapy; the last (and hopefully final) time, it was actually surgically repaired.

1 heal/1 repair < same injury I believe

I do worry about his mobility also.. one of his strongest suits especially as pertains to his great accuracy when rolling out. Hopefully he won't miss a step (pardon the pun) when he returns.

Now IMO, I think folks are getting bogged down by semantics. Yes, that particular ACL was an issue twice, but the first time rather than being "repaired," it "healed" on its own with therapy; the last (and hopefully final) time, it was actually surgically repaired.

1 heal/1 repair < same injury I believe
At the risk of furthering the semantic talk ... how can something heal .. yet still need to repair ;)

It has either healed (thus is two injuries) or it hasn't (1 injury).

Tanner Lee, Chase Litton, Riley Ferguson... There's good developmental qbs outside the first round. In terms of translation into our offense I'd rank Lee my second favorite after Rosen, with Mayfield third. Lee actually looks better than Rosen to me sometimes. He just played with an HC/OC and supporting cast that didn't help him much.

The case against a QB is we need too many good players to spend a #1 on a QB. The case for QB at #1 is: how many QB's make it through a full 16 game season, much less playoff's, without missing a game due to injury. We had 2 starters do that. #17 is 30 and won't play forever. I think QB is an option IF the guy Gase wants is there. We desperately need OLB, TE and OL, but you have to have a capable backup QB. We had none last year. If JAG is there you have to go BPA. IMHO...

Back
Top Bottom