The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill

I think the OP is wrong. Gase will be looking for a QB to eventually replace Tannehill. No doubt Tannehill starts next season, but after that we are going to have to see. Think about it from Gase's perspective. He has had Tannehill 2 seasons both seasons ended with him on IR. He sees all the past coaches who have lost there jobs under tannehill. Whether you think Tannehill is awesome or needs to be replaced is irrelevant. Gase is not going to make that mistake and if he does, he deserves to get fired.

It's pretty obvious Gase isn't a fan of Moore. He will need to be replaced regardless of how Gase feels about Tannehill.

I don’t think Josh Allen will be a good qb, at all.

But I’m not Miami and if they take him and Gase thinks he can tap that “potential” then by all means take him. Can’t ever take the qb spot for granted.

First of all, I'm not deadset on any position in terms of the direction of the draft. All I'm saying is this notion that the Dolphins should not at all put a premium resource in the quarterback position because they have Ryan Friggin Tannehill, who is coming off ACL construction, needs to be put to bed.

Do you agree that 7 teams ahead of the Dolphins should do the same? Do you think they will? All I'm asking for is consistency in reasoning, which is extremely rare around here.

Last edited:
Gase proclaimed in training camp that Tannehill was going to have a monster year and after his injury brought Cutler in rather than hand the starter's job to Moore so I know where my money's at.

Meh. So far, that egomaniac's decision making has been questionable at best.

Sure, first playoff appearance that some fans have ever seen, but ignore that because the starting QB (who you can't stand) got hurt and destroyed the season.

The moultiple posters saying drafting a QB at #11 would be a waste is mind boggling to me. Did you people not watch the last 20 games? Are you unaware that QB is the most important position in the the NFL? I’m aware we have deficiencies at LB, G, TE, and T, but none of those spots matter if our QB play is mediocre. We are also not one guy away from having an elite group such as the Jags or Vikings have on defense. The realality for Miami is we have no back QB, and we just took a mulligan on ‘17 season due to our lack of a back up. The realality for Miami is our “franchise” qb has never won more than 8 games, he missed the last 20 games, and had major knee surgery. The kids gloves need to come off with Ryan, and there needs to be competition. If he rises to the top excellent, and if he loses out to a QB we draft at #11 then excellent. To have sustained success you need to be great at QB...there is no debating that, it is a fact. We have had sustained mediocrity because we have been mediocre at QB for 17 years.

The reality for Miami is also that Ryan Tannehill was flourishing in Gase's system before the injury, and Adam Gase (see Jay Ajayi) is very much in charge. Sure if a top QB talent were to fall to #11 you would have to consider that, BPA is always a wise philosophy. But the reality is @ #11 there are usually issues with the QB's that are still on the board, is it really worth taking that risk on a QB if a talent like Derwin James is on the board? Someone like James can help this defense which sucks immediately, a back up QB, similar to the K.C situation this year, may do nothing to benefit the team at all, and can force your hand come contract time. Luckily for Tannehill supporters like myself, we know Adam Gase is smarter than the average fan and will continue to stay the course with Tannehill, because he knows what kind of a talent he has in him. Back up QB's are important, but we don't NEED to draft one in the first round, especially when a premium non-QB prospect is likely to fall into our laps. Look at the NFC championship game this year, those teams didn't need 1st round back up QB's on their rosters to continue to succeed. But both of those teams are much better overall than the Dolphins, until we fix our team, we will continue to lose despite which QB people are praying for @ #11. Second round and on, sure you consider taking a backup QB if you like the ones still on the board, but @ #11, you better be damn sure because you are passing up a lot of premium talent that we desperately need, in reality.

josh rosen is the ideal tannehill insurance option

in terms of smallest impact on the current offense qb ask wise

bet ya he 's gonna be high on our board

pre snap progression read placement and rac

josh rosen is the ideal tannehill insurance option

in terms of smallest impact on the current offense qb ask wise

bet ya he 's gonna be high on our board

pre snap progression read placement and rac

This is a huge point that is ignored by people advocating drafting a QB for "insurance". It is one of the reasons that it simply does not happen in the NFL. You cannot draft a QB that will not thrive in your system. You cannot practice two different systems. You cannot build a roster around two different systems.

BPA must be influenced by need and fit. Makes no sense to draft a 3-4 NT when you play a 4-3, just because they are the BPA.

rosen is going to be scheme specific so if the giants don't pluck him at two he could fall to us at 11 barring someone trading up

only thing we'd lose with that kid is some of the zone read threat of the qbs legs in terms of what we ask of the qb

more your traditional pocket progression qb

If the team is looking to replace Ryan Tannehill, might they say they are looking for a back-up quarterback? That way they can be a little under the radar when talking to all these quarterbacks.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami took one of the top four if they fall to #11. Even a trade up to that #4 overall spot is a possibility.

It would be one thing if Tannehill had the one achilles injury, but he has had two.

How many times in the last 20 or 30 years has an NFL team, that was convinced that they can win with their current QB (who was in his 7th season or less), drafted a QB in the first round? I can't save for sure that it won't happen this year, but I can say it has not happened yet. Based on that, it is extremely unlikely this year.

Agreed. Look back at the draft for a few years. Scratch off the QBs taken by a team with a bottom 10 QB (I know some here like to think Tannehill is bottom 10, but I'm being realistic.) Scratch off top teams already with top/elite QBs (e.g., NE, GB) and teams with top QBs whose WB is 1-2 years years away from retirement (e.g., Dallas). How many of the remaining teams drafted a QB in the 1st 3 rounds? How many of the remaining teams teams draft a QB day 1? Very few.
Gase is already talking about Tannehill starting (yes, I know about smokescreens. I can also argue invitations are smokescreens.) Rumors are looking for a backup. That's what I think will happen. It's obvious Moore is good for 1-2 games, but a liability over extended time. Fales and Doughty? Nope. But, it's all speculation for now. Much depends on FA and Tannehill's progress.

If the team is looking to replace Ryan Tannehill, might they say they are looking for a back-up quarterback? That way they can be a little under the radar when talking to all these quarterbacks.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami took one of the top four if they fall to #11. Even a trade up to that #4 overall spot is a possibility.

It would be one thing if Tannehill had the one achilles injury, but he has had two.
Achiles?

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom