The Offensive Tackle Mythology Index | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Offensive Tackle Mythology Index

With respect, I don't believe that one bit. Considering what we started with before FA, I think he has done pretty well. I think we all, myself included, sometimes think that we are the only team who wants to sign someone and when we don't it's a colossal failure. I would think there are many reasons why someone may choose NOT to sign with the Dolphins and some of those reasons may not involve the team whatsoever. Only time will tell, of course, but from what I gather, Hickey -along with Philbin and Lazor - has actually started changing the culture of the team. Unlike with Ireland, there seems to be a plan in place the whole organization supports. It will take time for our new OL to gel, and for our guys to learn the new offense, but I think we will be much better this year. There is a positive energy around the team. As for the draft, he can't win. People are going to complain no matter what the guy does.

With the same respect, I believe there were six players on the OL we should have targeted, and came up empty. I only focus on the OL here, and sincerely believe we could have signed one, NOT all six, just one.

WOW Z, I have seen very few posts "cross the line" here but, this is one. NO need for that. JMO

When someone puts words in my mouth and then starts mocking me, I'm taking the gloves off. And if you are going to be so sensitive SB2, maybe the internet isn't for you.

When someone puts words in my mouth and then starts mocking me, I'm taking the gloves off. And if you are going to be so sensitive SB2, maybe the internet isn't for you.

You tell him Zounds! (If that was gloves off, you might as well leave them on :lol: , or head to the Anything Goes thread and say whatever your little heart desires).

You really leave no choice but to put words in your mouth when you only focus on bashing other posters rather than giving your own views on the topic. Answer the questions. Or don't. I actually don't care. Continue to focus on me if you want. If your wondering what I'm wearing, it's a green Tom Ford sweater over a thin-striped Steven Alan shirt and some Naked and Famous jeans. No shoes because I'm in the house. I'm not an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really leave no choice but to put words in your mouth when you only focus on bashing other posters rather than giving your own views on the topic.

You really are pathetic. I gave my own views, and criticized yours - but you decided to make it personal by attacking the person rather than the idea. Get a life.

You really are pathetic. I gave my own views, and criticized yours - but you decided to make it personal by attacking the person rather than the idea. Get a life.

Nice try, but it's pretty clear who went into attack mode first with snide one-liner questions rather than actually entering into a discussion and sharing his ideas on the subject. It's pretty clear I tried to explain my point of view while you spent the entire time taking stuff completely out of context while attacking me personally, all while contributing nothing to the discussion. When I asked questions in an attempt to steer you back to the topic, you continued to respond with personal attacks (weak ones at that, at least have the common decency to make them funny like that pogue GoonBoss :d-day: ).

So, again, answer the questions. They really aren't that difficult and unlike you, I'm not attempting (and failing) to set you up to contradict yourself. They are legitimate, "hey friendo, let's get this back on track" questions. Of course, the invite to the Anything Goes Thread stands if you'd rather not discuss the topic and would prefer to break out anything more "gloves off" than you have already have. :lol:

With the same respect, I believe there were six players on the OL we should have targeted, and came up empty. I only focus on the OL here, and sincerely believe we could have signed one, NOT all six, just one.

I hear ya. Clearly, Anthony Hunt, the Directory of Pro Personnel, and Hickey are missing something. Have you shared your ideas with them? Maybe they can bring you on as Assistant GM, I believe Hickey hasn't replaced Gaines yet.

Nice try, but it's pretty clear who went into attack mode first with snide one-liner questions rather than actually entering into a discussion and sharing his ideas on the subject. It's pretty clear I tried to explain my point of view while you spent the entire time taking stuff completely out of context while attacking me personally, all while contributing nothing to the discussion. When I asked questions in an attempt to steer you back to the topic, you continued to respond with personal attacks (weak ones at that, at least have the common decency to make them funny like that pogue GoonBoss :d-day: ).

So, again, answer the questions. They really aren't that difficult and unlike you, I'm not attempting (and failing) to set you up to contradict yourself. They are legitimate, "hey friendo, let's get this back on track" questions. Of course, the invite to the Anything Goes Thread stands if you'd rather not discuss the topic and would prefer to break out anything more "gloves off" than you have already have. :lol:

:bobdole:

My god listen to yourself. Go back to PoFo forum....

Not sensitive at all, and have 4 warnings to show for it, including one from Gonzo. We argue, over and done, and move on with no problems. I just believe your post was in bad taste, and crossed the line. I think I do much better with gloves off. lol

Not sensitive at all, and have 4 warnings to show for it, including one from Gonzo. We argue, over and done, and move on with no problems. I just believe your post was in bad taste, and crossed the line. I think I do much better with gloves off. lol

Thats nice....but what you you have to do with it again?

Thats nice....but what you you have to do with it again?

Nothing at all. Giving an opinion of a post is something no poster on a forum should do. Have a Happy Easter.

I hear ya. Clearly, Anthony Hunt, the Directory of Pro Personnel, and Hickey are missing something. Have you shared your ideas with them? Maybe they can bring you on as Assistant GM, I believe Hickey hasn't replaced Gaines yet.

My agent tells me that we have no current offers but, that Miami will be closely watching my assessments this season, and will get back to us next year. JK/LOL

In theory it makes perfect sense to never draft linemen in the first and if given enough time I'm sure this strategy would pay off and I'm also sure other teams would take notice and begin to copy that strategy bringing the value of the position back down to earth. But it should be obvious where the fatal flaw in this theory is, the 'if given enough time' part. In this day and age most coaches and GMs are expected to show results in a very short amount of time and in Hickey's case it could very easily be just one season. So when it comes to the draft, and I don't even think this is debatable, o-line, and specifically first round o-line, is the only position that can make a relatively big difference almost immediately. Even if its only half a game that could be the difference between Hickey getting another year or not. And its not just us, save maybe a half a dozen coaches in the league everybody is in a win now mode which explains why everybody is so horny to overdraft o-line.

I completely understand where both sides are coming from but I have no idea how to find the balance between long term success vs short term job security. It seems like a total catch 22 to me.

Importance of the left tackle is based on an old NFL, and it's time to adapt

In the first half of the 2015 NFL season opener, Patriots left tackle Nate Solder was flagged twice for penalties and defeated several times by Steelers bull rushers. Funny timing, then, that New England had signed the 27-year-old to a two-year extension worth $20.1 million only one day earlier. Factored in with his $5.6 million salary this season, Solder is now, on average, the team's highest-paid player. On Thursday, thanks in part to injuries, the Patriots lined up a pair of rookies (fourth-round guard Tre' Jackson; undrafted center David Andrews) and an undrafted third-year guard (Josh Kline) to Solder's right, forming a three-man interior that collectively costs an average of $1.7 million annually. Or 17% of Solder's haul.

New England's O-line was never an issue in a 28–21 victory over Pittsburgh—Solder's struggles early on were offset by Tom Brady's pocket poise and quick throws—but one had to wonder: Why are the notoriously economical Pats paying a premium for a good-but-far-from-great left tackle?

The answer lies in the fact that it has become chic to say that the left tackle is the second-most-important position in football, behind only quarterback. This makes you sound smart. Open-minded. You're lauding the once-underappreciated 300-pounders who do the dirty work. But you're also just plain wrong.

Left tackles gained awareness and popularity 10 years ago, thanks largely to Michael Lewis's 2006 book, The Blind Side, which profiled a rising high school superstar, Michael Oher, and argued that his position, left tackle, was second in importance because it was crucial in protecting the most important position. Lewis's point was keen and well-explained, and football fans rightfully bought in. So did NFL general managers, who in the subsequent decade made left tackle the game's second-highest-paid position.

But consider: Lewis's theory was based on an old NFL. He told his story through the prism of the 1980s, when the likes of Lawrence Taylor menaced quarterbacks who often lined up directly under center and took seven-step drop-backs. Thirty-odd years later, that QB spends 75% of his time in the shotgun, where he almost immediately has a much wider scope of vision; if he's righthanded, he sees the full right side of the field and almost all of the left. There is no "blind side" anymore. Yesterday's seven-step drops are now more like five-step drops, but most QBs don't even hold the ball that long. Quick strikes have become the norm; the best passers often throw in 2.5 seconds or less. Many times, even if a wide-aligned defensive end goes completely untouched by the left tackle, he still can't reach the QB in time.

More than ever, defenses generate pass-rushing pressure through disguised fronts, stunts, twists or blitzes—and most of those focus on isolating and exploiting an O-line's weakest link. A solid left tackle is still valuable, but as a pass protector he's not much more valuable than any of his fellow O-linemen.

Perception holds that the left tackle's value is greatest when he spars one-on-one against an edge rusher in obvious passing situations (allowing the offense to scheme ways to help its right tackle, who is almost always athletically inferior to the defender he's blocking). But is that enough to make left tackle the second-highest-paid position in the game?

Pass-blocking is a totally reactive maneuver: You can't create anything, you can only prevent something bad from happening. And that makes the difference between a great pass block and an average one nominal. Both render the same result, a clean quarterback. A great catch or run, on the other hand, can create a significantly different outcome than an average catch or throw. You don't get these without sturdy pass protection, of course, but that makes pass protection, in essence, an insurance policy. And your insurance policy shouldn't cost nearly half as much as the thing it protects.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/16/left-tackle-value

Favorited and forgot this article during the season, figured it would be more useful to add this in to an existing thread than start a new one.

Since the original post, we've added:

-2014:

Ja'Waun James, 19th overall pick.
Billy Turner, 3rd round, 67th overall pick.
Daryn Colledge, 1 year, $2 million contract.
Jason Fox, 1 year, $635k contract. Later resigned to a 2 year, $2.5 million contract.

-2015:

Jamil Douglas, 4th round, 114th overall pick.

Even 2 years later, given how many people feel our offensive line deserves the most attention, it seems like this is still a relevant topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing that you would bump and quote something that appears to be discrediting nate solders value to new england a meer 3 days after tom brady without solder was fed to the denver wolves

Timing is everything i guess

Amazing that you would bump and quote something that appears to be discrediting nate solders value to new england a meer 3 days after tom brady without solder was fed to the denver wolves

Timing is everything i guess

You mean the line with right tackle Marcus Cannon, who gave up 7 hurries and 2 sacks?

Think they could have used some depth along the entire line? Think Solder's contract helped or hurt in that regard?

Back
Top Bottom