The Offensive Tackle Mythology Index | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Offensive Tackle Mythology Index

this is just pure bull **** by the way...the neanderthals around this board are the ones that don't even realize you didn't make the postseason in 2013 cause your oline sucked donkey nuts...

duh

that said i'd love to be able to draft skill position best player talent every year...but you can blame ireland and the scouting dept and personnel evaluators who brought in trash and drafted trash for as long as i can remember pretty much for that...

I'd be offended by that remark.......If I wasn't a neo....neaao.....However it's spelled.

I'd be offended by that remark.......If I wasn't a neo....neaao.....However it's spelled.

i'm not trying to offend anyone but that cave man crap when it comes to an oline or ot's value is rediculous...they rate these guys and draft them accordingly cause of how they grade out head to head vs every other prospect for the most part...unless you reach and well we have done plenty of that in the past...

if someone doesnt agree with it fine but don't try and tell me that a top 20 bpa olineman is worth less than another position player who carries the same grade as a prospect...they draft these guys as high as they do for a reason...and it's not cause they are 3rd round guys bumped up into the top 10 as prospects...

i'm not trying to offend anyone but that cave man crap when it comes to an oline or ot's value is rediculous...they rate these guys and draft them accordingly cause of how they grade out head to head vs every other prospect for the most part...unless you reach and well we have done plenty of that in the past...

if someone doesnt agree with it fine but don't try and tell me that a top 20 bpa olineman is worth less than another position player who carries the same grade as a prospect...they draft these guys as high as they do for a reason...and it's not cause they are 3rd round guys bumped up into the top 10 as prospects...
Tryin to keep it fun, brother.

Clearly we want to draft people that will make the Fins a success. Looking round the league at the most successful teams nearly all if not all spend 1st round picks on their oline, so what is the problem? Have the Seahawks, Broncos, Patriots, Eagles, 49ers etc. etc. got it wrong, of course they haven't. If a RT is going to make a significant difference in keeping Tannehill on his feet and as a result lead to more wins then I'm all for it. At 19 Zach Martin would be good value and fill an important need for us, I don't care if we go for playmakers early or playmakers late, the only important thing is hitting on your picks.

no you didn't...and sure it needs volume hell it needs a complete do over pretty much...why not since you didnt do it in free agency get you some of the highest rated draft prospects to try and right the ship with long term difference makers...or hell even solid will do compared to the crap i watched butcher the positions up front this last season...

instead of hoping some 5th round guy who usually barely even makes a roster let alone plays is the smart approach...the bottom line is a bpa is a bpa and if you happen to have a massive need and a bpa to try and fill it with well then run the card up...provided the grades are equal...

of course it's gonna take someone making the decisions knowing what the f they are doing...and well it's hard to find people that can even tell you what they are looking at right around here let alone pick talent

No need to double down on making mistakes just because we've been making mistakes in free agency and the draft for years... including this year. If you do the right thing and the smart thing eventually you'll get ahead of the eight ball. It might cause problems this year with a hole here or there but I gotta be honest... I'm not expecting much out of this year.

"Bpa" doesn't really mean anything, imo. More to the point, everyone has their own definition for what it means, and that includes their subjective view of how important the position is. If you've got the same grade on a nickle corner as you have on a pass rusher and you've got a need at nickle corner you'd be a fool to take the corner no matter how many pass rushers you have. The value of the positions just isn't remotely equal.

The offensive line as a group is absolutely vital to the success of the team but the way the game is played now you need a group, not one or two elite players and then a bunch of scrubs. You're better off aiming for good to average on the OL and saving the elite players for the elite positions. Of course if you hit on everything you can take any strategy you want. But saving the elite picks for the elite positions is playing the percentages the smart way.

this is just pure bull **** by the way...the neanderthals around this board are the ones that don't even realize you didn't make the postseason in 2013 cause your oline sucked donkey nuts...

duh

that said i'd love to be able to draft skill position best player talent every year...but you can blame ireland and the scouting dept and personnel evaluators who brought in trash and drafted trash for as long as i can remember pretty much for that...

I know full well our oline was garbage. I never claimed otherwise. I just don't believe it takes reaching for whatever lineman we can get our hands on to fix it. Maybe I'm not stressing it enough, but I wouldn't be upset if we took Martin, I just feel other skill positions present greater value at the spot for the Dolphins. This is, of course, based on the reality that Robinson and Matthews won't be available.

The caveman talk was me trying to communicate on the level of my one man audience who wasn't capable of comprehending me. For example, I disagree with spike regarding taking XSF, but I don't think he's an idiot for his opinion and certainly see no reason to speak to him on that level. Those that would rather take potshots at me rather than discuss the topic? Well, that's another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to double down on making mistakes just because we've been making mistakes in free agency and the draft for years... including this year. If you do the right thing and the smart thing eventually you'll get ahead of the eight ball. It might cause problems this year with a hole here or there but I gotta be honest... I'm not expecting much out of this year.

"Bpa" doesn't really mean anything, imo. More to the point, everyone has their own definition for what it means, and that includes their subjective view of how important the position is. If you've got the same grade on a nickle corner as you have on a pass rusher and you've got a need at nickle corner you'd be a fool to take the corner no matter how many pass rushers you have. The value of the positions just isn't remotely equal.

The offensive line as a group is absolutely vital to the success of the team but the way the game is played now you need a group, not one or two elite players and then a bunch of scrubs. You're better off aiming for good to average on the OL and saving the elite players for the elite positions. Of course if you hit on everything you can take any strategy you want. But saving the elite picks for the elite positions is playing the percentages the smart way.

so a nickle corner who plays like 60 percent of the snaps in your defense anyways is less valuable than a like 4th pass rusher option when you have 3 in front of him already if they have the same grade??? nickle corner is damn valuable in todays game...one guys playing the others sitting and waiting his turn and you want me to take the pass rusher...oddest thing i've heard in a while

as for the approach i think we want the best 7 olineman we can get...we need 5 starters at least...i want the best unit in that starting 5 i can get...that doesnt mean every year i got to auto go in with the approach of oline obviously come hell or high water with my top pick but coming off 2013 and what i saw from our unit you bet your ass i'm gonna be all things being equal grade wise running some oline cards up there...i'm not saying either first 2 days all 3 picks oline or anything like that i'm saying if the grades are equal and i got a need like we do oline wise i'm turning in the card...til i at least feel like i got some confidence in the unit going into 2014 future wise...

whatever keeps my qb from eating meals thru a straw or i think will help with that i am damn sure gonna do...

these teams by the way can tell ya we are best player available all the way it's what we do every time and i will tell you that's a bunch of bs...they draft needs all the time with similar grades over other position players cause they must fill spots...all the time...i laugh when i hear that stuff...how do you guys think you can look at a teams needs and justify on a mock pretty much who they will choose from...all things being equal they have a massive need they gonna fill it...

so a nickle corner who plays like 60 percent of the snaps in your defense anyways is less valuable than a like 4th pass rusher option when you have 3 in front of him already if they have the same grade??? nickle corner is damn valuable in todays game...one guys playing the others sitting and waiting his turn and you want me to take the pass rusher...oddest thing i've heard in a while

as for the approach i think we want the best 7 olineman we can get...we need 5 starters at least...i want the best unit in that starting 5 i can get...that doesnt mean every year i got to auto go in with the approach of oline obviously come hell or high water with my top pick but coming off 2013 and what i saw from our unit you bet your ass i'm gonna be all things being equal grade wise running some oline cards up there...i'm not saying either first 2 days all 3 picks oline or anything like that i'm saying if the grades are equal and i got a need like we do oline wise i'm turning in the card...til i at least feel like i got some confidence in the unit going into 2014 future wise...

whatever keeps my qb from eating meals thru a straw or i think will help with that i am damn sure gonna do...

these teams by the way can tell ya we are best player available all the way it's what we do every time and i will tell you that's a bunch of bs...they draft needs all the time with similar grades over other position players cause they must fill spots...all the time...i laugh when i hear that stuff...how do you guys think you can look at a teams needs and justify on a mock pretty much who they will choose from...all things being equal they have a massive need they gonna fill it...

If you would take the nickle corner over the pass rusher then that pretty much says it all. I'm not saying that nickle corners aren't valuable, but the difference between having an elite or good nickle corner versus an average nickle corner is marginal compared to the difference between having an elite or good pass rusher versus an average one.

For the top positions you absolutely be looking ahead and stacking players where you can. The worst case scenario is you have two or three top flight pass rushers versus one or two, which isn't a worst case at all. A top pass rusher is going to make a way bigger impact playing a third of the time than a top nickle corner is going to make playing 60% of the time.

When going after playmakers, you still have to choose the right ones. Playmaker was absolutely the right call at #9. The error was reaching for Ginn instead of taking a playmaker worthy of that spot such as Willis, Revis, or Griffin; all of whom were mentioned quite frequently on here. As for Long, that pick set us back years. Prioritizing line over QB is ludicrous.

That Ryan guy had quesion marks then and still has question marks now - i think you confuse Long for A Rodgers in fact that's the pick that set us back ->Ronnie Brown over A Rodgers

Ryan = bad -> that cast he had the past 3 years was tremendous -> PHENOMENAL

If he picks Martin, I won't be upset, I'll just think it was a mediocre team making a mediocre pick. If he reaches for XSF or Moses, on the other hand, :bobdole: .

I actually would be against Martin at 19 more than even you seem to be. Not because I think he's a bad player, but because if we take a tackle in the first round of this year's draft, I have to assume that whoever that player is will be playing right tackle for at least the next two to three years, if not the entire five of Albert's contract. Not that I want Moses at 19 either (I, like Spesh, would be very excited about Beckham Jr), but I agree with the assessment CK did a few weeks ago regarding Martin vs Moses.

CKParrothead said:
The ten right tackles that Pro Football Focus graded in 2013 on a per snap basis were on average 6065 & 321 lbs.

The top five of them average 6075 & 321 lbs.

I think one of the big disconnects here is an under-recognition of the different ideals when you go from left tackle to right tackle.

If we're trying to find a left tackle I'd have big issues with Cornelius Lucas, and some issues with Morgan Moses as well.

But if we're going for a right tackle you can keep your 6041 & 308 lbs Zack Martin, and truly good luck trying to make that work well enough to justify a 1st round pick. I'm going to steer toward the guys with the 7 foot wingspans that are a little bit more proven in the role we're talking about.

Thanks to the Original Poster....Great write up! I may not agree with everything, but I do appreciate the effort! If possible, I would like to trade into the 20's with a team that wants to move up (San Fran??) and pick up extra picks. Because, like many have said, either with the OL, secondary, or LB's we need more than one stud player. Having more picks in this deep draft would be the way I would like to approach this draft.

Talk about misrepresenting other peoples views.....if you want to pretend like posters here are some kind of neanderthal speaking half wit, look no further than yourself. Who did you blow to be a mod anyway? Arent mods at least supposed to be somewhat respectable posters?

WOW Z, I have seen very few posts "cross the line" here but, this is one. NO need for that. JMO

You post nonsense. I'll post something when I have something meaningful to post.

Literally, your posts are nonsensical drivel.

That's not very nice. Ya know GB, you are my second most favorite poster on FH.

Everyone else here is tied for first. lol

I believe that Hickey has somewhat painted himself into a corner on the OL in this draft, due to what was done or, not done in FA. It will be interesting to see if he sticks to what he has said on BPA or, perhaps try to make excuses on reaching on the OL.

With respect, I don't believe that one bit. Considering what we started with before FA, I think he has done pretty well. I think we all, myself included, sometimes think that we are the only team who wants to sign someone and when we don't it's a colossal failure. I would think there are many reasons why someone may choose NOT to sign with the Dolphins and some of those reasons may not involve the team whatsoever. Only time will tell, of course, but from what I gather, Hickey -along with Philbin and Lazor - has actually started changing the culture of the team. Unlike with Ireland, there seems to be a plan in place the whole organization supports. It will take time for our new OL to gel, and for our guys to learn the new offense, but I think we will be much better this year. There is a positive energy around the team. As for the draft, he can't win. People are going to complain no matter what the guy does.

Back
Top Bottom