The Official Game Thread: United States vs Mexico | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Game Thread: United States vs Mexico

Hugo will get fired once they lose their first WC qualifier. I just got back from the Pub and that was a great game. First have lacked excitement, but man that second half was great. I was so glad that Tim Howard finished with the clean sheet, he started scaring me around the 70th minute.

Landon is still an overrated punk that needs to step up, but at least he made a play tonight. We really need better strikers than Landon. We really need someone that isn't afraid to blast a shot at the keeper from 25-30 yards out. As I think PrimeTime mentioned, we greatly need someone to control the midfield better. We definitely miss Claudio and I might even say Caligiuri (yes, it's been years, but we need someone like him to step up).

Donovan did step up yesterday. He was playing out of position. They had him as a Forward with Rolfe which isn't his natural position. Landon is more of an attacking midfielder. Playing behind the Forwards is what he is best at. He was pretty much a ghost in the 1st half, and did nothing. But the 2nd half, his game came together. Maybe you didn't (maybe you did) notice...but Landon came back to Defend by the 18 and stopped 2 or 3 shots by Mexican players. His game picked up from there. Even Eric Wynalda noticed it...he said exactly what I just said in the post game show. I was glad someone else saw Donovans hard work.

Tim Howard and Jimmy Conrad had A+ games. Howard kept his composure and didn't get rattled by the numerous attempts on goal.

Mastroeni had a couple of mess ups, one that I thought was going to cost us a goal but thankfully it didn't. Besides that he did his usual Udonis Haslem - Blue Collar work. Defending in the midfield...slowing down attacks, and passing tha ball quickly.

Convey and Dempsey. Convey continues to impress me. I don't know what we are going to do come 2010. But we have to find a way to have Beasley and Convey on the field at the same time without putting one on the right side like Arena attempted last year against Czech Republic in the WC. Convey should've put that one away however where he was 1 on 1 with Sanchez. As for Dempsey. He has the moves and the skill but yesterday he would only appear once in a while. He has good technique as we could see yesterday...I think just starting to play in Europe affected him but who knows. He'll be fine though.

And yes we do miss Reyna. We weren't controlling the midfield which is why Mexico kept attacking so much. I'd be shocked if Bradley doesn't call John O'Brien to attempt to play in Reyna's position in our next match.

Bocanegra was solid. Johnson needs to start impressing again, because right now he isn't making chances for himself.

Marcelo Balboa was doing some commentary last night with the Mexican media, and let me tell you the guy is really good, he speaks fluent spanish and really knows what he's talking about.

LMAO

Since when the ref is part of the field? so the players can step on him or what?

Funny how you didn't mention anything about how you guys have ben owned by us on our turf...even though half of the time, it is your turf.

And no you can't step on him but just like in Football. He is part of the field. It isn't like he's passing the ball to the US...it just hit him.

I think once they get Beasley back and they unleash Twellman and Eddie Johnson...we might have something...

Landons future on this team cannot be as a striker.

BTW..is it me...or does Clint Dempsey just play in 10 second bursts?

"The mexican fans live in a permanent state of denial."- Coby Jones :lol:

9 games in a row in the USA without a goal. NINE. Forget Azteca stadium...that is like what Wynalda said...nobody can win there..it is unfair advantage since you basically end up playing only 10 minutes while they get all the calls for 90, due to the altitude.

The US OWNS Mexico.

Never been much a fan of Twellman, and still waiting for EJ to be consistent in his form (though he's far and away our most talented striker, which is depressing when you think about that).

Dempsey isn't in form right now. Don't worry about him.

And remember, 3 of our 4 top guys on the back line are in Europe, so we were missing our major defenders too.

Never been much a fan of Twellman, and still waiting for EJ to be consistent in his form (though he's far and away our most talented striker, which is depressing when you think about that).

Dempsey isn't in form right now. Don't worry about him.

And remember, 3 of our 4 top guys on the back line are in Europe, so we were missing our major defenders too.

Yeah me neither. I didn't get a chance to get to Sections post. I agree with you about Taylor and EJ. I think EJ can be a good forward for us If he can start putting it together. If he can impress this summer, maybe he'll head to Europe...something he's been wanting to do.

3 of our top 4 guys??? I count 2. Onyewu and Cherundolo. Who's the 4th???

Yeah me neither. I didn't get a chance to get to Sections post. I agree with you about Taylor and EJ. I think EJ can be a good forward for us If he can start putting it together. If he can impress this summer, maybe he'll head to Europe...something he's been wanting to do.

3 of our top 4 guys??? I count 2. Onyewu and Cherundolo. Who's the 4th???

Jonathan Spector, who is potentially the best of the 4, not now of course, but in 2-3 years. Also, it's worth noting that we will finally have depth at RB soon, since Marvel Wynne is the perfect complement to Cherundolo.

What concerns me about the US isn't our future backline or goalie, it's the other positions. While we may like guys like Donovan or so, they really just don't cut it at the top level. The first prospect (and don't forget about this guy) that may actually have the talent we need is Adu. We're just so thin at forward and while deep in midfield, it's deep in guys that are not great, just moderately good.

Well, we'll see what happens. At least MLS isn't dying, which is a start.

Jonathan Spector, who is potentially the best of the 4, not now of course, but in 2-3 years. Also, it's worth noting that we will finally have depth at RB soon, since Marvel Wynne is the perfect complement to Cherundolo.

What concerns me about the US isn't our future backline or goalie, it's the other positions. While we may like guys like Donovan or so, they really just don't cut it at the top level. The first prospect (and don't forget about this guy) that may actually have the talent we need is Adu. We're just so thin at forward and while deep in midfield, it's deep in guys that are not great, just moderately good.

Well, we'll see what happens. At least MLS isn't dying, which is a start.

Spector...eh. He is potential. I am not saying he is bad, but as of now I do not consider him one of our Top 4 or even 5 backs. I'd rate Onyewu, Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Conrad and Gibbs better then him.

Spector...eh. He is potential. I am not saying he is bad, but as of now I do not consider him one of our Top 4 or even 5 backs. I'd rate Onyewu, Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Conrad and Gibbs better then him.

Yeah, he is potential, but if you had to bet whether he'll be a starter on our backline in 2010, I think the odds are greater he will be starting than not.

Why the optimism? First of all, he won the award for best youth player in Man U's youth academy and most who win that turn out to be good. Also, he's already been capped by the USMNT, and he's currently starting at West Ham, which will serve as a first stepping stone. Anyway, right now, he's coming off a freak injury so he's out of the picture, but I'm willing to bet some Phin bucks he'll be a starter on our back line come 2010.

Yeah, he is potential, but if you had to bet whether he'll be a starter on our backline in 2010, I think the odds are greater he will be starting than not.

Why the optimism? First of all, he won the award for best youth player in Man U's youth academy and most who win that turn out to be good. Also, he's already been capped by the USMNT, and he's currently starting at West Ham, which will serve as a first stepping stone. Anyway, right now, he's coming off a freak injury so he's out of the picture, but I'm willing to bet some Phin bucks he'll be a starter on our back line come 2010.

By then we will all be millionaires and won't need to bet anything as we will have bought the whole story. :lol: I'll be down to bet a couple hundred on If he plays this Summer.

By then we will all be millionaires and won't need to bet anything as we will have bought the whole story. :lol: I'll be down to bet a couple hundred on If he plays this Summer.

This summer is tough. Remember, he's coming off an injury. But, we can bet 100 on whether he plays in at least 2 games this year (considering how easy it is to earn Phin dollars, this is nearly a no-risk bet).

In any case, once this guy becomes a regular, you'll see what I mean. See, Onyewu is very good, but he doesn't really help the attack much. Spector has the ability to jump-start the attack in addition to good defense (even if half of that is still potential).

LMAO

Since when the ref is part of the field? so the players can step on him or what?

Yes, they could, but if you want the ref on your side, I'd recommend not doing that. I ref'd for about 12 years and the official is considered part of the field and balls off the ref are live and there are plenty of players that use the ref as a screen too.

Yes, they could, but if you want the ref on your side, I'd recommend not doing that. I ref'd for about 12 years and the official is considered part of the field and balls off the ref are live and there are plenty of players that use the ref as a screen too.

:0wned:
:lol: You just owned him like Donovan owned Sanchez!

Just Playing Totore ;)

This summer is tough. Remember, he's coming off an injury. But, we can bet 100 on whether he plays in at least 2 games this year (considering how easy it is to earn Phin dollars, this is nearly a no-risk bet).

In any case, once this guy becomes a regular, you'll see what I mean. See, Onyewu is very good, but he doesn't really help the attack much. Spector has the ability to jump-start the attack in addition to good defense (even if half of that is still potential).

I haven't seen him play more than a couple times so I wouldn't know if he can create attacks....we shall see though.

While I am not happy with how the mexican team played, I certainly can't say that you should be happy with how the US team played either...

Both teams look light years away from their best level. US was not even a shell of that 2002 team, and Mexico... I mean they did not play a great game but it is like they just underestimate US every single time, it is the biggest rivalry in the region and those idiots play it like it is any other game... I thought that was supposed to end with damn Hugo as the coach.

(and to the ones that say that Hugo will be fired soon, there is no way he will even though I would love for him to be fired, he would have to have a meltdown of Enrique Meza level before anyone could start to even mention firing him)

Back
Top Bottom