The Official Miami Heat March to the Lottery Thread. | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Miami Heat March to the Lottery Thread.

You're a heat homer if you think Wade/Marion/Brand will even exist much less be better than Kobe/Odom/Gasol. Heck, my co-worker in lab agreed just now and he's a Spurs fan/bandwagoner (Also a Pats bandwagoner but that's a different story). I'd prefer Marion instead of Odom only because Marion will play the SF role-player part in a better capacity. If it's only one on one, I'd go with Odom. Going beyond the stats, you can see how if Odom posts up Marion, there's no chance Marion can do anything. You saw it again and again in the playoffs. They specifically exploited this. The announcers even notice it. That's why head to head Odom will beat out Marion. That's why Odom's numbers soar. As for Marion's numbers, they're really inflated due to the fact that Marion's points usually come from gimmies such as alley-oops, good passes inside the lane, and wide-open 3's. He doesn't set up his own shot. Good homework means going beyond the numbers unless it's for fantasy. It's why numbers-cruncher DePodesta failed with the Dodgers.

We are talking hypotheticals.

Your co-worker is not here. If we are using imaginary people...I just asked a sold out Dolphin Stadium and they all agreed with me.

Numbers tell the story.

Marion is a MUCH better player than odom. It really isn;t close. And Brand is a MUC MUCH MUCH better player than Gasol. THAT is not even a debate. Wade is in the upper tier of stars with Kobe.

It isn;t a stretch and it is a rather easy deduction that the hypothetical Heat trio is better. Sorry. it is. No debate here.

As for the heat getting Brand...We all know Riley will make a run at him (if certain things happen, such as a Haslem trade for cap space), so that is why we used that hypothetical.

I am coming in late, but why is the Lakers triumvant Kobe/Lamar/Pau? If you are gonna go with the top 3 players on the Lakers, I would think that Bynum has to be put into the mix. Kobe/Bynum/Gasol. Lamar is at best, a fourth option. His focus is rebounding and passing the ball. He shoots the ball when he is with the second unit or if he is completely open.

To me, Kobe/Bynum/Gasol far outweighs Wade/Marion/Brand. And I don't think that is a home statement. If they played the same opponents, I would bet that the Lakers team would end up winning more.

Just my opinion. Feel free to brush it off as another Laker homer who knows nothing about the game. Apparently any and all b-ball knowledge is held by Miami fans. :rolleyes2:

Bynum is a developing player. If you want to include him...you are including a guy who's numbers are the same as Udonis Haslem's. I don't think you want to add that to your "trio".

He WILL be good...Now he is just a top 10 center...in a league with no centers. Nope, it is a very homerish Laker stand, because it is not even as good as Boston's.

This discussion ended to me with the fact that Odom vs. Marion is actually being debated.

I just refuse to participate in such a ridiculous conversation. :lol:

Since you want to "ask" people, then go with what I originally suggested........Go to the Lakers board on RealGM (mind you, the most homer board on that forum aside from the Raptors) and propose the question:

"Who is the better player, Shawn Marion or Lamar Odom?"

Not who fits better, but who is better, overall.. in general.

Marion is slightly better then Odom. Odom has the talent and the skill to be far better then Marion but for some reason he cant be consistent. Mentally Marion is better then Odom which makes him a better player right now. As of late Odom has been kicking a$$ since Gasol got here.

"slightly" ? Remember Amars...Odom played here...and we loved him. (Riley especially loves him, if you saw the game "tracks" from that game sunday)

Marion is head and shoulders a better player.

Anyway...guys..we move Haslem and Blount and we are a player for Brand in the offseason. Then we make this debate a real one.

haslem will have takers...the thing is that we would need to convince them to take that contract (blount) off our hands. of course..we would basically be giving away Haslem and Blount for an expiring contract.

Yes slightly because if Odom was consistent day in and day out he would be a allstar every year. Ya I saw Riley talking to him. You can tell he really likes odom.

Everyone likes Odom....hes a likable guy. The problem is after 8 years of being the ultimate tease people get tired of you. I realize Laker's fans have had a love/hate relationship with the guy and now you're all fully in the love mode. Give it a month and you'll be back to begging Phil to give Walton more time at the three.

We are talking hypotheticals.

Your co-worker is not here. If we are using imaginary people...I just asked a sold out Dolphin Stadium and they all agreed with me.

Numbers tell the story.

Marion is a MUCH better player than odom. It really isn;t close. And Brand is a MUC MUCH MUCH better player than Gasol. THAT is not even a debate. Wade is in the upper tier of stars with Kobe.

It isn;t a stretch and it is a rather easy deduction that the hypothetical Heat trio is better. Sorry. it is. No debate here.

As for the heat getting Brand...We all know Riley will make a run at him (if certain things happen, such as a Haslem trade for cap space), so that is why we used that hypothetical.

Numbers don't tell the whole story. If you subtract out the gimmie points given to Marion by Nash and look at replays of Odom posting up Marion in the recent playoffs, you can see that Odom just dominates Marion in the post. The ABC announcers will also tell you in case you're too much of a Heat homer. In a one on one situation, I'll take Odom over Marion any day. Marion thrives off of good passing. Without it, he can't work. Odom makes his own shots and when he's mentally there, he'll create mismatches. And whatever deficiencies in the Gasol-Brand matchup may have is easily made up for by the difference between the Kobe-Wade one.

In a one on one situation, I'll take Odom over Marion any day.

While you may be forgiven after watching the NBA the last generation, there are five players on a basketball team. Noone will every deny that Lamar Odom is one of the most singularly gifted players of his size that has ever existed. That doesn't make him a great basketball player.

While you may be forgiven after watching the NBA the last generation, there are five players on a basketball team. Noone will every deny that Lamar Odom is one of the most singularly gifted players of his size that has ever existed. That doesn't make him a great basketball player.

Yea, that's why I think a Fisher/Kobe/Odom/Gasol/Bynum lineup would just obliterate a Williams/Wade/Marion/Brand/whatever one so this whole comparison of trios is moot.

Numbers don't tell the whole story. If you subtract out the gimmie points given to Marion by Nash and look at replays of Odom posting up Marion in the recent playoffs, you can see that Odom just dominates Marion in the post. The ABC announcers will also tell you in case you're too much of a Heat homer. In a one on one situation, I'll take Odom over Marion any day. Marion thrives off of good passing. Without it, he can't work. Odom makes his own shots and when he's mentally there, he'll create mismatches. And whatever deficiencies in the Gasol-Brand matchup may have is easily made up for by the difference between the Kobe-Wade one.

"Subtract" points? LOL! You are reaching.

There is a much smaller difference between Kobe and Wade than there is between Gasol and Brand. Brand is twice the player Gasol is.

Brand can carry a team. Gasol can carry a team to repeated first round sweeps.

Marion sure thrived in his debut without Nash. he will continue to do so as well. Good players usually remain good players.

Back
Top Bottom