The official official BOXING THREAD! | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The official official BOXING THREAD!

I will be at the fight tomorrow night at MSG so I am looking forward to it. Jones and Trinidad are past their primes, but it still should be an exciting fight. I like Roy to win by late round stoppage.

how much did you pay for your ticket? the prices were ridiculous. they went down a few days ago but still crazy. be interesting to see how many people show up.

I paid $110 per seat. I am a big Roy fan and my brother is a Trinidad fan so we are going. The tickets were expensive, but hopefully it will be worth it.

I paid $110 per seat. I am a big Roy fan and my brother is a Trinidad fan so we are going. The tickets were expensive, but hopefully it will be worth it.

you'll probably be able to move down and get great seats. ringside tickets were 15k! now they're 5K.

roy won a decision. knocked him down twice. fight was good. better than i expected.

Just got back from the fight. The main event was very good, the crowd was heavily in favor of Tito. Although the arena was not filled, the atmosphere was great. The undercard fight between Andrew Golota and Mike Mollo was also very entertaining. The two heavyweights slugged it out for 12 rounds with Golota winning a unanimous decision. These two fights along with some good fights in the crowd made it well worth the price of admission.

Just got back from the fight. The main event was very good, the crowd was heavily in favor of Tito. Although the arena was not filled, the atmosphere was great. The undercard fight between Andrew Golota and Mike Mollo was also very entertaining. The two heavyweights slugged it out for 12 rounds with Golota winning a unanimous decision. These two fights along with some good fights in the crowd made it well worth the price of admission.

I actually sat press row at the fight. The crowd was definitely more for Tito than Roy but I was surprised by how many supporters Roy had in the house. I expected the Tito fans to be a lot more vocal and supportive but aside from the introductions, they were quiet with only a few "Tito" chants along the way that didn't last long. The crowd was average and there was a ton of seats from the 200 section up, so the crowd wasn't near as electric as it was for the past 2 Cotto fights at the Garden. Roy was a lot bigger than Tito. The size difference was very apparent and Tito really didn't stand a chance one Roy established he could take his best shot with ease and still come forward.

Onto the fight, to be honest, I was more impressed with Tito than Roy. For fighting at the heaviest weight of his career, having took over 2 years off, and having to deal with a guy who was a heavyweight champ, Tito fought well and held his own. The only bad thing I can say about him was that the second knock down was a joke and showed that if Tito wants to stay in the game, he's got to move back down to middleweight. He got hit with nothing more than a jab and a right that grazed his head and he went down. Other than that he was the agressor the first half of the fight, worked the body well, and showed that if he wants to, he can still make good fights at middleweight. His days of being elite are behind him but he's still capable of fighting on and has some gas left in the tank. Max Kellerman said it best to me after the fight, "Tito was good tonight, Roy was better."

As for Roy, Roy is finished as an elite fighter as well. People can say he looked as good as he wants but he still only throws about 10 punches a round and still tries to sit on the rope and counter all night long. Tito wouldn't engage with Roy on the ropes because he couldn't take Roy's power from his counter punches and didn't want to get caught, but any normal size Super Middleweight or Light Heavyweight will have no problem taking his shots and applying pressure on him while he's sitting on the ropes (see Glen Johnson and Antonio Tarver). Fighting off the ropes used to work for Roy Jones when he had that incredible speed but now that has worn off, Antonio Tarver showed that it's easy to just pound Roy while he exhausts energy trying to allude punches on the ropes. Tito landed on Roy's body cleanly all night and landed some nice shots on Roy, the problem was he doesn't have any power so Roy shook off those shots and they didn't wear him down like they would if Tito was a normal light heavyweight. Roy tried to cover up his flaws by show boating and dancing in the ring but it's boxing, not dancing with the stars, and he just doesn't throw enough punches to have a chance to get back to where he was. Roy's speed has diminished, his power has faded, and his defense is still suspect. This fight wasn't as one sided at it's been presented to people and without the knockdowns, Roy wins 7 rounds to 5, 8 rounds to 4 (like one Judge had it) (which is as close as it can get to declare a winner). All these people hyping Roy like he's back are short sighted and are basing their opinions strictly on this fight. He's finished and all it's going to take to prove that is for him to fight someone who is decent (not Hanshaw, Prince Ajamu, or a retired Tito). Chad Dawson, Calzaghe, and Hopkins wipe the floor with Roy!

The Mike Mollo - Golota fight stole the night and was a real slug fest. In the 4th round Mollo was breathing heavy out of his mouth and I said to myself "no way this kid makes it the distance" but he gutted it out and showed a lot of heart. Golota ate a lot of leather as well and for the first time in his career, he showed heart. His eye was bad but he fought through it and showed a lot!

Good to see Karmazin get KO'd. He kept begging Bunema to engage with him and he got what he asked for. He was complete control of the fight, on his way to an easy decision, but he kept asking Bunema to bring it and he did. I can't stand Karmazin's awkward style and was glad he lost. He should have cruised to a decision and went home but he was so frustrated Bunuma wouldn't engage with him he lost his cool and Bunema capatilized on the opening. Good for him, upset of the night (all reports ringside was that this was a cream puff for Karmazin and a victory was going to set up his rematch with Cory Spinks...so much for that).

Devon Alexander has skills and his fight with Corley was entertaining. He clearly won the fight and I was impressed with his right hook (was impressed with his left hook to but it doesn't pack the power his right does since he's a southpaw). He's got a bright future and looked good in his first step up fight!

Some notes from the press conference:

It seems as though Winky Wright and Roy Jones is going to be made later in the year. We keep hearing Roy is going to fight the winner of Calzaghe-Hopkins but that is most likely not going to happen this year. The winner of that fight will most likely not fight again until December the earliest and with Roy wanting to stay active and take big fights, it looks like he'll get it on with Winky at 170. All of the other big names that would be worth Roy fighting financially are all booked (Dawson, Johnson, Tarver, Lacy, Bernard, and Calzaghe), and Roy fighting Winky in central Florida would do big numbers at the box office. I'm not saying it's concrete but it's a good possibility, one that both fighters are open to!

Iran Barkley is back, fatter than more out of shape that than ever, broke, and looking to fight again at heavyweight. I highly, highly doubt any respectable commission sanctions him. If he does fight, you'll see him in the middle of Mississippi or Idaho fighting nobody's but he fully expects to get back in the ring. He said the same thing at the James Toney-John Ruiz fight so take it with a grain of salt but it's easy to feel bad for the guy and I wish he would have done better with his money!

I know everyone heard this on espn and everywhere else but Oscar De La Hoya will be returning on HBO against a lesser named opponent. The names being mentioned are pathetic (Salita, Malignaggi, and Forbes) but I hope Forbes gets the nod because at least he's fought a couple of times at welterweight, and he's an experienced vet whose opportunity is long over due. Plus, Golden Boy owes him after they gave Demetrius Hopkins that bum decision over him a few months back!

Finally, Tito didn't say whether he woudl fight again or not but I hope he does. He's still got some left in the tank and if he fights at his normal weight and sheds the excess pounds, he will do alright at Middleweight. At the very least I'd like to see him go out with a signature KO, a nice fight in his home country of Puerto Rico where he can get a win and ride out into the sunset!

Anyways, sorry I babbled. I hope we get this thread alive now that finheaven is back open and don't let it fall back into the back pages of this other sports forum. Chambers vs. Povetkin this Saturday. Gonna be tough for Chambers to go overseas and win but it's going to be an interesting fight and I hope Chambers can gut it out (although he's working with Buddy so the cards are stacked against him :lol:)!

April 19th, Hopkins vs. Calzaghe...ON HBO. Good to see it's on going to be on PPV and that Calzaghe finally sucked it up and is going to take a trip over here to take a big fight. I like Bernard in this fight because I think he's more experienced in fights of this magnitude, I think he is better at adapting styles to fit his opponent (probably better that anyone in boxing), and I think Calzaghe coming over to the U.S. to fight for the first time is going to hurt him in the long run. I know people think I'm nuts thinking that Calzaghe is going to have a problem fighting over here but he will. He should have fought in the U.S. the past couple of ffights to get his feet wet but coming over here and fighting Bernard Hopkins in his first fight in this country I think will prove to much for him. Bernard Hopkins win a UD IMO. Not a good fight and I'm glad it's on HBO because as the past 5 Bernard fights prove, he's just not worth shelling out 50 bucks for. Not enough punches and action to justify paying that much money, so I'm interested because it's a good match-up on paper, but I wouldn't expect to much fireworks in this one!

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3209744

Roy Jones: "I Want De La Hoya at 156 in May"

PENSACOLA, Fla.—An ebullient Roy Jones Jr., energized by his dominating, unanimous-decision win over Felix “Tito†Trinidad at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night, says he is ready to take on all comers in the light heavyweight or super middleweight divisions and beyond.

“I told you Roy Jones Jr. is back,†Jones said after his triumph over Trinidad where he twice sent the Puerto Rican legend to the canvas. “I’ll take the winner of either the re-match between Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor or Joe Calzaghe vs. Bernard Hopkins. I’m even willing to go down to 156 pounds to face Oscar De La Hoy in May. Line them up and I’ll knock them down.â€

Jones (52-4, 38 KOs) surprised some longtime boxing scribes who didn’t believe he could still muster the skills that made him one of the best and most feared boxers in the history of the sport. Jones showed flashes against Trinidad on Saturday of his rare combination of speed and power that put him atop the lists of pound-for-pound best fighter in the world for a decade.

“I always said that with the right motivation and focus I can still be Superman. I saw it in the gym leading up to the fight and Tito Trinidad and everybody else saw it on Saturday night at the Garden. Like I said, line ‘em up and I’ll knock them down.â€

:sidelol: noway roy can make 156.

Roy has not fought below 156 since 1991. I would think it would be extremely unlikely he could make it down that far.

^^for real. come on Roy you FINALLY won again now go out with some class

Back
Top Bottom