The worst Dolphins draft picks — EVER! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The worst Dolphins draft picks — EVER!

Taking Ted Ginn Jr. in the first round of the the draft when Patrick Willis was still available, and Aaron Rodgers, we needed a quarterback that year, I almost broke my TV after that pick. Worse pick ever.

Not even close for me. Aubrey beavers and Jay Brophy back to back in 84. Rick Graf not far behind

Biggest 3 head-scratchers for me are already listed in this thread. Avery, Fletcher, and Ginn. Not only did i think the we had a greater need in all three drafts, but i was absolutely sure each one would be a huge bust. Not hindsight either, i was bitching for weeks after each draft.
4th worst for me is Long, i understood why we needed him. I really tried to understand the pick. However after years of not taking a Qb with our number 1 pick i cannot defend taking anything other then a QB that year, even if it wasn't Matt Ryan. Drove me crazy.The fact that we won when we had Pennington the next year cemented the fact that we should have drafted a young replacement for when he inevitably went down.

I really think Dion Jordan is going to have a solid year in 2014. He had the shoulder thing last year. I think the Dude is going to make some plays for us this year.

I agree, Jordan will display his talents on the field in 2014; we will all be pleasantly surprised.This is my hope (gut feeling) anyhow - for what it's worth.

All my fingers and toes crossed...

:D

Ironic that they listed Bobby Humphrey as someone they should have drafted instead of Sammie Smith. Miami and Denver swapped those two players and neither did anything for their new team. Both were out of football a year later.

Taking Ted Ginn Jr. in the first round of the the draft when Patrick Willis was still available, and Aaron Rodgers, we needed a quarterback that year, I almost broke my TV after that pick. Worse pick ever.

You got your years wrong on Aaron Rodgers. Brady Quinn was the guy in 2007. Oddly enough Ginn was a better pick that Quinn.

Miami has a long history of drafting below the mean. Even the early 70's teams had a number of acquisitions from other teams and/or undrafted guys/waiver wire guys, etc (Langer, Little, Kuech, Buonoconti, Warfield etc), on top of a couple of elite draft picks in Griese and Csonka. Other than a few flurries, the franchise drafted poorly. The late 70's and into the early 80's led to a number of excellent picks where the team went to the Alabama well for the likes of Bob Baumhower. Don McNeal, Tony Nathan and the incomparable Dwight Stephenson, and had a number of other nice picks. Whoever helped with the draft in that period did well.

But really, later, the Shula regime really let Marino down by not putting enough solid talent around him. Yes, there were some good picks. There was the Webb/Sims double whammy. But, there was a flurry of Bosa, Kumerow, Graf, Brophy, Shipp, Sammie, Hampton, Scott Schwedes, Eddie Blake, TJ Turner, Oglesby, trading two high picks for Hugh Green, etc. I mean those are all high picks. What a comedy of errors. I think I accounted for 13 1st to 3rd round picks in Marino's early prime years. You have to try to be that bad.

Jimmy drafted fine for defense and blew it on offense although he wasn't here very long. He may have corrected the offense if he stayed. Since he left, the track record has been awful.

At some point, maybe the franchise will draft above the mean to break even.

austin tatious dont forget about the enitire 95 draft and we traded a 2nd round pick in 1984 for a fat, out of shape pete johnson. man we even wasted a 2nd rd pick on aubrey beavers in 94!!!

Back
Top Bottom