This is what Ireland did the last time he had the 12th pick | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is what Ireland did the last time he had the 12th pick

The 2012 draft was mainly a foresight draft. Many key free agents in 2012 had replacements drafted. Now, it's a different story if those picks worked out, but the intent is plainly visible.

Jake Long... drafted Jonathan Martin
Anthony Fasano... drafted Michael Egnew
Reggie Bush... drafted Lamar Miller
Brian Harline... drafted Rishard Matthews and BJ Cunningham
Randy Starks... drafted Kheeston Randall.

So he is, yet again, just replugging the same holes he is creating. And using your logic, he decided that right tackle shouldnt be addressed at all. I suppose he's still hoping Colombo comes out of retirement for one final paycheck.

Brilliant stuff. Thank god the NFL awards the team that has the most losing seasons.....wait a second.

So he is, yet again, just replugging the same holes he is creating. And using your logic, he decided that right tackle shouldnt be addressed at all. I suppose he's still hoping Colombo comes out of retirement for one final paycheck.

Brilliant stuff. Thank god the NFL awards the team that has the most losing seasons.....wait a second.

So, he shows foresight by addressing potential holes before they appear, and now the criticism changes to having hole to fill to begin with? None of the players I listed are mutually exclusive, this year proved it. The free agents can be retained and then Miami has starters plus depth.

two guys who contribute alot now. took a while...but, trade down get tyler eifert is in the cards. then extra pick for T. Cant lose. you can pass on a good player, but makes no diff if the player is not something we really need.
I see you subscribe to the "quantity over quality" philosophy that Ireland employs. We passed on Earl Thomas who I wanted and has 10 INTs and 3 fumble recoveries in 48 games...13 turnovers. Jared Odrick and Koa Misi combined have 3 turnovers in the same time period.

It's time for quality...time for playmakers.

Hindsight is such an interesting/convenient tool used by fools.
What a ridiculously false statement. Without hindsight how do you judge what was once foresight? Hindsight is probably the greatest teacher. Results don't just spring out of random chaos. They are the reaction to the choices that were made. Without learning from the past how else would you improve moving forward? There are people on these forums who constantly reject the idea of learning from past mistakes. They mock people for bringing up moves from the past because they don't understand the connection with the present. I've seen this here for years now, people like you look at this team with confusion through a very short sighted lens because you don't think to look back at that road that led to this point.

So, he shows foresight by addressing potential holes before they appear, and now the criticism changes to having hole to fill to begin with? None of the players I listed are mutually exclusive, this year proved it. The free agents can be retained and then Miami has starters plus depth.

You cant have it both ways. Ireland cant have drafted Martin to play 2 positions on the field at the same exact time. As well, Ireland publically stated his desire to resign Long last offseason. By every single statement that has been made on the subject: it wasnt "foresight" in case Long leaves, it was hindsight with Ireland drafting Martin to cover up his past mistakes at right tackle. And if Long walks, that isnt a shrewd move by Ireland because he has Martin, that is complete incompetence.

The Miami Dolphins’ general manager began by addressing star left tackle Jake Long regarding an article in Saturday’s Sun Sentinel titled, “How much longer will Jake Long be a Miami Dolphin?

“I’d like to clear the air on an article,” Ireland said. “I don’t normally go overboard on media speculation. But last night I saw an article about Jake Long. I have plans to keep Jake Long here for a long time. So, let’s don’t get ahead of ourselves. …We drafted Jonathan Martin to be a tackle on this football team, a right tackle on this football team. Let’s don’t speculate any further than that.”

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...hins-ot-jake-long-wont-talk-cameron-wake.html

Yes, lets not speculate any further.

Anyways, even if your 100% correct(your not), then Ireland has no interest in fixing this team. He drafts players and immediately plots to replace the same players he just drafted. Again, i wouldnt call that "Foresight" id call that paranoia. And failure, lots of failure. I wont even get into how hilarious it is that people still believe 6th and 7th round draft picks(some of whom have been cut) are viable replacements in impact positions.

I disagree about ODrick, he is just playing out of position. He is a 3-4 DT, not a DE. Misi is not a force at the LOS, but he is effective in coverage as a LB. That was his strength when he was drafted. He is a good player, but he is not the right part for this 4-3 defense. He was drafted to play OLB in the 3-4. He is still servicable, and maybe have some trade value if the team decides to go that way. Probably not this year though. .02

you kidding me? Misi was a beast in the run game in this 4-3. He got his nose dirty alot! totally disagree there. Odrick is a DT period in either scheme.

What a ridiculously false statement. Without hindsight how do you judge what was once foresight? Hindsight is probably the greatest teacher. Results don't just spring out of random chaos. They are the reaction to the choices that were made. Without learning from the past how else would you improve moving forward? There are people on these forums who constantly reject the idea of learning from past mistakes. They mock people for bringing up moves from the past because they don't understand the connection with the present. I've seen this here for years now, people like you look at this team with confusion through a very short sighted lens because you don't think to look back at that road that led to this point.

and yet you and alot of others wouldnt even consider that he did look at the past moves to change up. Alot of people who hate Ireland only have one liner blanket statements of hate with little to no backup.

None of us know how decisions came about on the inside. We can only speculate on what we are told by the media, whome I take with a large grain of salt and try to read between the lines. I look at Ireland as a guy who is shrewed and who can make mistakes like any other GM in this league. After all, he is human. We all talk on here, myself included, like we know exactly what something is, until the truth comes out later. Alot of overreaction happens around here and they pounce like tigers to meat only to find out it was tofu.

They had already squandered a second for Brandon Marshall in that draft. Then they drafted Odrick who was redundant to a solid player in Kendall Langford. Misi is an average player. In the 3rd they drafted John Jerry over Jimmy Graham.

They should not have traded for Marshall.

They should have stayed at 12 and taken Earl Thomas or Dez Bryant.

Instead of redundancy in Odrick, they could have resigned Langford.

Geez, this isn't brain surgery, Ginger. None of the foregoing requires any hindsight. Marshall was a known malcontent but Miami made the mistake to trade for a guy with emotional problems. They squandered two 2's. Then Odrick was a luxury when they already had Langford. You get no where when you draft redundancies. They had holes they needed to fill. Ireland was obviously looking heavily into Dez. If Dez isn't your cup of tea, Earl Thomas would have filled a tremendous need. Redundancy plus an average linebacker with off the field problems (Misi) for the 12th pick.

At the time Odrick wasn't redundant to Langford. If you remember going into the draft we had announced Randy Starks would be moving to NT opening up a hole at RDE. At this point Paul Soliai was still considered a bust. The plan was to start Odrick, Starks and Langford on the D-line. Misi was a slight reach at the time but he was drafted to fill the hole across from Cam Wake. Hind sight is easy but at the time we drafted to fill the holes we had in our front 7.

I see you subscribe to the "quantity over quality" philosophy that Ireland employs. We passed on Earl Thomas who I wanted and has 10 INTs and 3 fumble recoveries in 48 games...13 turnovers. Jared Odrick and Koa Misi combined have 3 turnovers in the same time period.

It's time for quality...time for playmakers.

It was different circumstances then.

I know I hang my hat on Eifert, thats just me. I am confident that if Ireland/Philbin see a stud DE, CB, S, or OLB/MLB at 12 they will take them. But IMO, it seems to me, that when it comes to CB's at least, that there are not elite CB's in this draft based on what I am hearing, so why draft one in round 1 if you know you can get a guy who fits and will be just as good in round 2 and you take the guy you know will fire up your offense in round 1?

Why take a WR who is not elite and will probably just be as good as some 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounder? Particularly if you just obtained Jennings or Wallace in FA?
due diligence on value, thats what it really is.

Trading down would be idiotic in this draft. We need a big time playmaker/star on this team, which we can get with the 12th pick.

At the time Odrick wasn't redundant to Langford. If you remember going into the draft we had announced Randy Starks would be moving to NT opening up a hole at RDE. At this point Paul Soliai was still considered a bust. The plan was to start Odrick, Starks and Langford on the D-line. Misi was a slight reach at the time but he was drafted to fill the hole across from Cam Wake. Hind sight is easy but at the time we drafted to fill the holes we had in our front 7.

Wasnt Langford also considered more a 3-4 DE? Odrick is a pure DT IMO who was asked to cover at DE until the youngin got going. I expect some action at DE. We absolutely must find the right pieces.

### The Dolphins learned Sunday night they will pick 12th in April's draft. San Diego, Miami, Tampa, Carolina and New Orleans all finished 7-9. The draft order among those five teams was determined on strength of schedule. The Chargers pick 11th, followed by Miami, Tampa, Carolina and the Saints.
The last time Miami picked 12th (in 2010), the Dolphins traded the pick to San Diego for the 28th pick (Jared Odrick) and the 40th choice (Koa Misi). Miami passed on Dez Bryant and Jason Pierre Paul, among others, at 12, that year. The last two players selected 12th were defensive lineman Fletcher Cox by the Eagles (2011) and quarterback Christian Ponder by the Vikings (2010).

Instead of staying put and taking Pierre Paul he traded down and took Odrick. Instead of taking Gronk he took Misi. He passed on Bryant. He has no clue to evaluate impact talent. Good luck this offseason. Were all gonna sit back and hope he takes a big time WR, pass rusher, or CB witht the 12th pick but I can see it now. Ireland will either stay put and take and OL or trade back to accumilate more picks and draft more scrubs.

you're one hell of a good hindsight GM. Why don't you have some foresight and tell us all who Miami should pick this year? Majority of the mocks on here are way off base when it comes to value but at least they're putting their name to a prediction. You are just whining.... I mean playing GM with hindsight. Hard to screw that up

Back
Top Bottom