this would have been tannehill's breakout season | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

this would have been tannehill's breakout season

Interesting how these threads all but vanished when the Dolphins were coming back from a 1- 4 start and making the playoffs. Very very few of the doubters had the guts to stand their ground. Instead, they wait until he is injured to reappear. Next season, they will disappear again.

Yep, just as interesting as having thousands of these threads after the 1-4 start with all of his defenders either having jumped ship or hiding under rocks at that point. And I'll never forget this one, one of his staunchest defenders actually said something like (paraphrasing): I know it seemed like I thought Tannehill was great with the way I defended him, but in reality I never really thought he was that good.

Yep, just as interesting as having thousands of these threads after the 1-4 start with all of his defenders either having jumped ship or hiding under rocks at that point. And I'll never forget this one, one of his staunchest defenders actually said something like (paraphrasing): I know it seemed like I thought Tannehill was great with the way I defended him, but in reality I never really thought he was that good.

Sorry, but most of the Tannehill supporters stood their ground during the 1-4 start, even predicting that the start would be slow and why. Most of the detractors vanished a few games after the turn around started and stayed hidden until he re-injured his knee. Just yesterday there was an article published that confirmed the reasons for the slow start (young team that didn't fully understand the offense, despite a QB that did). They also cut two players that the previous regime showed a pathologic stubbornness about.

Oddly, only one of the Philbin supporters stuck around until the bitter end......

If he doesn't want to argue this, I will.

I'm not sure there can be a quality argument made for any team's having a dynasty. It's such a rare event that any argument in favor of it is highly unlikely to prove correct.

Said differently, it's easy to simply argue in favor of it, but it would be very foolish to put any money on it. You could bet that 100 teams would have a dynasty, and you'd probably win either zero or just one of those bets, losing either all or 99 of them.

And in this situation, you'd be arguing in favor of a dynasty amid average or slightly above-average quarterback play, thus necessitating an unlikely degree of talent throughout the rest of the starting lineup, which would also need to be sustained throughout the period of the dynasty. Those are highly unlikely odds in the age of salary cap.

I'm in complete agreement that a team can win a Super Bowl with Tannehill-caliber quarterback play, assuming it can amass the necessary talent elsewhere, but a dynasty under those conditions is impossible in my opinion.

One of the major reasons New England has had a dynasty is because Tom Brady takes regular voluntary pay cuts, which frees up salary cap money to surround him with talent that other highly-paid QBs don't enjoy. Belichick of course is a key part of the recipe, but Brady's pay cuts are very important as well. New England essentially enjoys a caliber of talent surrounding its very good QB, that only teams with much lower-paid and poorer-quality QBs can have. There is only so much room under the cap, and when you pay your QB a great deal, you lessen your ability to surround him with talent.

Pay attention to what happens with the Seahawks, now that Russell Wilson is highly-paid. Also pay attention to what the Cowboys can do, having a very good QB on a fourth-round initial contract for the next three years.

Last edited:
I'm not sure there can be a quality argument made for any team's having a dynasty. It's such a rare event that any argument in favor of it is highly unlikely to prove correct.

Said differently, it's easy to simply argue in favor of it, but it would be very foolish to put any money on it. You could bet that 100 teams would have a dynasty, and you'd probably win either zero or just one of those bets, losing either all or 99 of them.

And in this situation, you'd be arguing in favor of a dynasty amid average or slightly above-average quarterback play, thus necessitating an unlikely degree of talent throughout the rest of the starting lineup, which would also need to be sustained throughout the period of the dynasty. Those are highly unlikely odds in the age of salary cap.

I'm in complete agreement that a team can win a Super Bowl with Tannehill-caliber quarterback play, assuming it can amass the necessary talent elsewhere, but a dynasty under those conditions is impossible in my opinion.

One of the major reasons New England has had a dynasty is because Tom Brady takes regular voluntary pay cuts, which frees up salary cap money to surround him with talent that other highly-paid QBs don't enjoy. Belichick of course is a key part of the recipe, but Brady's pay cuts are very important as well. New England essentially enjoys a caliber of talent surrounding its very good QB, that only teams with much lower-paid and poorer-quality QBs can have. There is only so much room under the cap, and when you pay your QB a great deal, you lessen your ability to surround him with talent.

Pay attention to what happens with the Seahawks, now that Russell Wilson is highly-paid. Also pay attention to what the Cowboys can do, having a very good QB on a fourth-round initial contract for the next three years.

I'm not certain what I'm debating at this point. Now you're saying an argument CAN be made for it, but that one shouldn't bet on the said hypothetical that doesn't actually exist?

I'm not certain what I'm debating at this point. Now you're saying an argument CAN be made for it, but that one shouldn't bet on the said hypothetical that doesn't actually exist?

What I'm saying is that anyone can sit back on a computer keyboard and make an argument for anything -- in this case that the Dolphins can somehow have a dynasty with Ryan Tannehill at QB. The real determinant of whether they believe their argument, however, is whether they'd bet an amount of money that's significant to them on it.

The point I made above is that people would be foolish to bet that sort of money on the occurrence of an event that by definition is very rare.

"New" guy. Suspiciously already knows how to hide his profile on Xenforo, but not "searched" data LOL.

With approx 85-88% of last 100 posts being specifically negative Tannehill-centric, it's obvious that he arrived with an agenda. Of course, it's his prerogative to have an opinion, but when evaluating it, and the data-manipulative way it's been conveniently formulated, Perspective & Context matter!

SHOURIGHT BACK AV.jpg

What I'm saying is that anyone can sit back on a computer keyboard and make an argument for anything -- in this case that the Dolphins can somehow have a dynasty with Ryan Tannehill at QB. The real determinant of whether they believe their argument, however, is whether they'd bet an amount of money that's significant to them on it.

The point I made above is that people would be foolish to bet that sort of money on the occurrence of an event that by definition is very rare.

I get to choose Tannehill's supporting cast and coaching staff to create a team, and can bet money on whether or not it becomes a dynasty?

Bring your mortgage papers.

I get to choose Tannehill's supporting cast and coaching staff to create a team, and can bet money on whether or not it becomes a dynasty?

Sure thing. The likelihood of a dynasty for any team at any time is so low that I'll take that bet anyday.

Awesome. Now it's your opinion vs my opinion. This should go well.

Considering that the only dynasties in modern NFL history have been quarterbacked by hall-of-famers (Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, Troy Aikman, Tom Brady), your odds aren't good.

Or are you arguing that you're going to assemble an all-pro team around Tannehill, and ignore the constraints of the salary cap?

First choice: Aaron Rodgers

Back
Top Bottom