this would have been tannehill's breakout season | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

this would have been tannehill's breakout season

The problem with that finding, however -- and I've alluded to it throughout the thread in different ways -- is that we're looking at Tannehill in isolation with regard to the health of his offensive line, rather than comparing him to the other QBs in the league in terms of the health or quality of their offensive lines.

Seems to me like comparing Tannehill's performance is a short period of time with and without starters on the OL is the most direct way to judge the impact. A meaningful number of games over a relatively short time with a small number of changing variables. I really think you are over thinking this. There is a 15 point increase in his QB rating simply by having a mediocre OL instead of the league's worst. It has happened in three consecutive seasons. Provide adequate protection and he is a 100+ QB rating QB. If that is not good enough for you, we have nothing to discuss. Frankly, I don't care that Aaron Rodgers or Brady or Brees or Manning would have a QB rating of 105 or 110 or 1,000,000 under the same circumstances. They are not the Dolphins QB. We are not likely to find an elite QB hiding under a rock or even in the draft.

The sensible thing to do is to fix the biggest weaknesses on the team and go win games. In recent years, the biggest weaknesses were coaching and OL. It looks like we have fixed the coaching and have a chance at being better on the OL. Next is defense. Or would you prefer to be like the 8-8 Saints for a few seasons?

The difficulty is in trying to amass those sorts of highly beneficial surroundings year after year, in the age of lots of injuries and the salary cap.

Here's a little tip for you..... This is why the elite QBs don't win the SB every season...... #QBwinz is BS and lazy......

Seems to me like comparing Tannehill's performance is a short period of time with and without starters on the OL is the most direct way to judge the impact. A meaningful number of games over a relatively short time with a small number of changing variables. I really think you are over thinking this. There is a 15 point increase in his QB rating simply by having a mediocre OL instead of the league's worst. It has happened in three consecutive seasons. Provide adequate protection and he is a 100+ QB rating QB. If that is not good enough for you, we have nothing to discuss. Frankly, I don't care that Aaron Rodgers or Brady or Brees or Manning would have a QB rating of 105 or 110 or 1,000,000 under the same circumstances. They are not the Dolphins QB. We are not likely to find an elite QB hiding under a rock or even in the draft.

The sensible thing to do is to fix the biggest weaknesses on the team and go win games. In recent years, the biggest weaknesses were coaching and OL. It looks like we have fixed the coaching and have a chance at being better on the OL. Next is defense. Or would you prefer to be like the 8-8 Saints for a few seasons?

That (the boldfaced portion above) is from 87 to 101.

What if for the better QBs in the league, with the same Dolphins' offensive lines, it would be 98 to 112?

With regard to the rest, I'm all for amassing as much quality around Tannehill as possible, because that's what the team needs to be successful, and I don't think the team is likely to find a better QB than Tannehill.

I just don't think all of that will result in making Tannehill one of the league's best QBs on an individual level.

:roflmao@ this thread.
We are two days away from our opener and we talk about some 'shoudda, woudda, maybe, coudda or maybe not".

Before anything in 2018 we have to start our 2017 campaign first.

I will be enjoying when our Dolphins beat the tape worms out of the Chargers colons and no former player or currently injured player will be on my mind.
exactly, tannehill shoulda coulda woulda talk will be much more pertinent next season when we will put his knee under a microscope. Until 2018 I don't see much reason to talk about him.

Here's a little tip for you..... This is why the elite QBs don't win the SB every season...... #QBwinz is BS and lazy......

No they don't, but when they don't, they're part of a team that can shut down the opposing QB, and so "QBwinz" still applies.

You either have to win with your own QB, or make the opposing QB lose.

No they don't, but when they don't, they're part of a team that can shut down the opposing QB, and so "QBwinz" still applies.

I think I'm beginning to understand where you're coming from.

tumblr_ml91rukyaI1ra90n2o1_500.jpg

LOL. So in a game that has altered its rules over the years to favor scoring and the passing game, you've come to the conclusion that passing and stopping the pass is important to winning.......

How does a team shut down the opposing QB?

LOL. So in a game that has altered its rules over the years to favor scoring and the passing game, you've come to the conclusion that passing and stopping the pass is important to winning.......

How does a team shut down the opposing QB?

That's the point, that the league's rules that favor the passing game make the QB extremely important. Call that "QBwinz" or whatever other term there is for it.

I suspect that teams shut down the opposing QB in three primary ways: 1) by scoring lots of points themselves, which makes opposing QBs have to pass and tips off the defense as to how to better defend against them, 2) with a strong pass rush, and 3) with a good secondary.

This was essentially the "Peyton Manning/Dwight Freeney/Robert Mathis" formula. Get out to big leads early, one-dimensionalize the opposing offense, and let Freeney and Mathis tee off on the opposing QB, who's forced to drop back and pass much more than usual.

This was essentially the "Peyton Manning/Dwight Freeney/Robert Mathis" formula. Get out to big leads early, one-dimensionalize the opposing offense, and let Freeney and Mathis tee off on the opposing QB, who's forced to drop back and pass much more than usual.

This example . . . :facepalm

This formula has worked once for a championship and lo and behold it entailed the best QB in NFL history. Riveting.

This example . . . :facepalm

This formula has worked once for a championship and lo and behold it entailed the best QB in NFL history. Riveting.

It hasn't worked just once, and it hasn't required only the best QB in history. That was simply the exemplar.

It hasn't worked just once, and it hasn't required only the best QB in history. That was simply the exemplar.

Let me guess, now I'm going to have to hear about the '09 Saints? And that in turn will lead to another conversation about takeaways and luck. I'm at the edge of my seat I tell ya.

And in all those years, and with all those things in place, Lewis has never won a playoff game.
He did until his defense took two post play personal fouls for 30 yards to put Pitt in range for the winning FG - LOL. It's as if he tried NOT to win big games.

Back
Top Bottom