time to look at our drafts under parcells | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

time to look at our drafts under parcells

Just for a point of reference, this is the last 3 years for the Jets. I'm not going to include players traded for using picks, etc etc. It's a simple (who did they draft) comparison:

2008 - Vernon Gholston (1st round) - BEST PLAYER EVER! (bust) (stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=11240)
2008 - Dustin Keller (trade-up) (1st round) - Jets gave up 2nd and 4th round for this pick. Has played pretty well. (stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=11264)
2008 - Dwight Lowery (4th round) - Still on the team, but about what you would expect from a 4th rounder. 5 career picks. Backup to Cromartie (stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=11347)
2008 - Erik Ainge (5th round) - Not even worth looking up.
2008 - Marcus Henry (5th round) - I don't even think he has recorded an NFL catch.
2008 - Nate Garner (7th round) - I think we know about him...

2009 - Mark Sanchez (trade-up) (1st round) - We know about Sanchez. Traded for 1st and 2nd and three players. I'd argue Sanchez hasn't lived up to his draft ranking so far. (stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=12482)
2009 - Shonn Greene (3rd round) - He plays, but hasn't lit it up at all.
2009 - Matt Slauson (6th round) - Starting guard.

2010 - Kyle Wilson (1st round) - Special Teams for the most part. 3rd string CB.
2010 - Vladimir Ducasse (2nd round) - Backup to Slauson
2010 - Joe McKnight (4th round) - 3rd string
2010 - John Conner (5th round) - Backup FB.

Now that we have some perspective, outside of the horrible Pat White choice (and maybe 2 others) ... have the Dolphins really done THAT bad?

I got ripped when I said before that their picks are "average at best." Now that the bloom is off the rose for this FO...it is obvious that they are nothing special and may have pretty much blown the most important pick for the Dolphins ever...

You can tell what side ur on just by reading ur post. Can someone post a open minded look at out drafts along with the hit and misses by teams who drafted around us. Also chris clemons is a legit fs something we have not had in awhile.

5 star players - Jake Long
4 star players - Vontae Davis, Dan Carpenter, Davone Bess and Kendall Langford
3 star players - Sean Smith, Chris Clemons, Koa Misi and Brian Hartline

Busts - Patrick Turner, Pat White, and Shawn Murphy

That is pretty solid in my book, I mean whatever about Bess and Carpenter not being drafted...at least they brought them here as UDFA. I wish we had hit on better in the second round, but we have drafted solid.

why not include Bess and Carpenter? they were both signed hours after the draft based on the same scouting reports as the draft itself. there are many talented players that don't get drafted and credit should go the front office for finding them. where would we be without Bess and Carpenter?

why not include Bess and Carpenter? they were both signed hours after the draft based on the same scouting reports as the draft itself. there are many talented players that don't get drafted and credit should go the front office for finding them. where would we be without Bess and Carpenter?

Where would we be without Carpenter? The same ****ing place we are now, He is a ****ing kicker.

Wow... did all you guys start watching football in 2008?

How any fan of the Miami Dolphins (with their previous draft history) can sit and complain about the last three drafts is totally beyond me. I'm trying to make allowances for hurt feelings, and "heat of the moment" critics.... but just wow.

Wow... did all you guys start watching football in 2008?

How any fan of the Miami Dolphins (with their previous draft history) can sit and complain about the last three drafts is totally beyond me. I'm trying to make allowances for hurt feelings, and "heat of the moment" critics.... but just wow.

You can not say that their drafting is good just because the previous people did even worse. These guys are average...the previous people sucked...

parcell's legacy will be that he passed on matt ryan

...to take an offensive tackle that is consider one of the 3 best in the game in his 3rd season. it is not like he passed on barry sanders for tony mandrich. you act like we took vernon gholston with the pick

I ran a poll on a Herald forum asking who we should draft with our overall #1, and a HUGE majority (many of you folks, I'm sure..LOL) voted Long.
Not me.
Does anyone seriously think the "Hogs" of Redskins fame would be as celebrated if they weren't blocking for the likes of Riggins, Theisman, and such. I'll readily admit it's a 2 way street, and neither Riggins nor Joe would have been as good without that huge O-Line.
The Dolphins have been cursed for a decade, due to the lack of a 1st class GM.
Till we get that problem ameliorated, I'm afraid it will be more of the same.

Just my thoughts. BTW, I miss this place, and with the Herald forums now such a mess, I hope to contribute (and learn) a bit more around here.
Merry Christmas to all.

The great thing about those Redskins' offenses is they had a power running game combined with great speed at the receiver positions...

Not a bunch of 'possession' guys who shorten the field.

The Redskins were so potent on offense because they had so many fast receivers to stretch the field opening up their already potent running game., and vice-versa.

For all you clowns that state our drafts are soooooooo bad then let's compare to the great NE Patriots....

1. J.Mayo lb -really good
1. forfeit for cheating
2. T.Wheatly CB -not on roster
3. S.Crable OLB -not on roster
3. K.OConnell QB -not on roster
4. J.White CB -nobody
5. M.Slater WR - back up
6. B.Ruud LB - not on roster

2. P.Chung CB - real good
2. R.Brace NT - worse then Merling, can't get on game day roster
2. D.Butler CB - no better then a back up
2. S.Vollmer OT - good OT
3. B.Tate WR - Hartline wash
3. T.McKenzie OLB -not on roster
4. R.Ohumberger OG -ho hum
5. G.Bussy OG - not on roster
6. J.Ingram LS -not on roster
6. M.Pryor DT -no better then our late picks
7. J.Edelman WR - nice 4th receiver
7. D.Richard DT - ho hum

1. D.McCourty CB - good but no V.Davis
2. R.Gronkowski TE - nice pick up
2. B.Spikes ILB - average player suspended for steriods
3. T.Price WR - wallace/moore
4. A.Herandez TE -could be good
5. Z.Mesko P - punter really????
6. T.Larsen C - not on roster
7. T.Welch OT - not on roster
7. B.Deadrick DT - who????
7. K.Weston DT - ho hum

So 2008 brought in 1 starter and 1 back up out of 7 picks and 4 draft picks not on the roster including a 2nd and 2 3rds!!! Wow what a great draft, lol!!!!! All players selected are skilled positions and they missed badly.

2009 brought 2 starters and 4 back ups out of 12 picks, only 2 picks are really any good in Chung and Vollmer the rest are no better then what we have drafted or picked up as a udfa. 7 picks went to the trenches with only 1 starting and the other 6 are on the team but not on the game roster!

2010 brought 3 starters and 1 back up out of 10 picks, this is their best draft in a long time with McCourty, Gronkowski, Hernandez. Spikes starts but as far as I'm concerned is garbage, he's now suspened for 4 games for illegal substance use. 4 more trench players and only two still on the team but not on the game day roster.

They drafted in 3 years 11 "corn fed" lineman and managed 1 starter and nobody else even can make the game day roster and 4 of them are no longer on the team!!!!!

So in 3 drafts they completely whiffed on two 2nd rounders that are not even on the team any more, four 3rd rounders with 3 of them not even on the team.

Compare that to us missing on P.White and you can argue P.Merling but atleast he is a regular rotaional player on a excellent D.Line. J.Odrick was playing really well until his injury. P.Turner was another miss and J.Jerry is fighting back and fourth in the starting lineup. But only 1 player is not on the roster from our top three rounds compared to 5 for NE. Even our late round picks have had a greater impact and hold a tonne more promise in Clemons, Jones, Hartline, Edds and Carol.

NE has plenty more draft picks but have missed way more then hit, they drafted way more "corn fed" lineman and missed plenty more. They also have drafted 5 CB's getting 2 starters and 1 backup compared to our 5 picks with 3 starters and 2 back ups!!!!!! V.Davis is by far superior to Chung or McCourtey.

So cry all you want but we have actually drafted a lot better then NE with less picks in the most important rounds of 1-3, NE 14 to our 11.

lol. it is easier to draft a player that will start on a terrible team than it is to draft a player that will start on an elite team.

Back
Top Bottom