time to look at our drafts under parcells | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

time to look at our drafts under parcells

In my opinion it starts and ends with the #1 overall pick they blew. That decision set up our next 4 to 5 years.

No matter how dominant Jake Long is or will ever be, he ain't worth a top tier Qb.

Blowing high second rounders like Merling and White also must be factored. Especially considering how easy it was to make an impact on a team that went 1 - 15, there was no talent!

Our 3 for 1 in Dobbins, Odrick, and Misi is typical of this team. Three average players does not equal a playmaker.

Like others have said, our drafts produced no Playmakers, guys other teams have to spend the week gameplanning for. Give me 5 of those guys and the rest we can fill with bums.

It wasn't just Dave Wannstedt... although I agree he was the worst of the bunch. The Dolphins haven't drafted as well as these last three drafts since the early 70's IMHO.

That includes Speilman, Johnson (who drafted some defensive gems, but batted .000 on offensive players), and Shula.

I don't agree that our drafting the last three years has been below average at best... nor do I agree that coach Sparano is a terribly inept. I can see players being developed... which to me, is the #1 job of any coaching staff. You want a terribly inept head coach - try out Cam Cameron. I haven't seen any sign that Sparano is losing this team the way Cameron did.

Perhaps it's because I've been a fan longer than most of you have been alive... but I see most posts at this site as terribly reactionary, over-wrought, and some are downright nonsensical. The pining for Ross to toss Tony and sign up Cowher..because Sparano is too conservative, married to the run game, etc.... Did none of you watch Cowher's teams?!?!??! lol I like coach Cowher... and yet he was in the league for 13 or 14 years before he won a title - and had multiple losing seasons in the meantime!

I just don't see it guys....

but don't let me stop you. Sorry to interrupt the profanity laced tirades with a different perspective. :)

there has been some player development under sparano i will agree with u there and that is VERY important.....i think from a head coaching perspective ur right he isnt the worst coach out there....he isnt the worst coach that weve had....i disagree with u to a point about the players tho.....i do believe they are losing some faith in him....hes losing credability.....with parcells no longer in the facility he loses a little bit of that free pass that he had.

the big thing with sparano tho is he is such a poor gameday coach....if HE cant manage a game how can he ever expect his quarterback to? its awful.....his use of challenges, timeouts, critical decisions are severely lacking. the one thing i really find unacceptable tho is his conservative nature....his willingness to play for field goals. a team, unless its the last 30 seconds of a half or it puts u up by say 4 points or 7 or more with little time remaining in the game, simply should never kick a field goal inside the opposing teams 5 yard line.....u sacrifice points AND field position.....this is just a point that could be debated......but lets take belichecks decision against the colts last year leading by 4 and 4th and one at his own 40 with a minute left......belicheck made the right choice to go for it.....sparano would never be able to make that decision.

its easier to believe in a coach thats bold....its easier to believe in a coach that believes in you and is bold especially one that doesnt come up with high school catch phrases that destroy his credibility when the team starts losing - like feed the wolf......one that cant stop blundering in a press conference you know you know you know......or he really is you know.....he really did you know?????? the guy just isnt a great head coach and hes not going to be unless he has an overwhelming talent advantage....he certainly isnt going to lead a team thats going to be much fun to watch.

i dont know if cowhers the answer....and your concern is also my own.....can we clone belicheck??? i love the guys balls....i love the fact thats with a big lead against a team he might have to see again in the playoffs and a division foe that always is running their mouth......what does he do from the shadow of his own end zone????? they pass.....they KEEP passing......they absolutely DESTROY the Jets as if to say.....u can talk all u want.....when we are on the field u dont have a chance to beat us.....thats how superior we are.....not today not ever......they take the other teams will......if the jets meet the patriots in the playoffs they DONT HAVE A CHANCE.....miami has a better chance the last week of the season than the jets do....now could sparano EVER do that???? no chance.....they get a lead and everybody and their brother knows we will be content to TRY to hold on.....you saw it last year against the saints.....we lost that game because conservative scared football doesnt win games......it doesnt inspire teams....sparano is not the answer

there has been some player development under sparano i will agree with u there and that is VERY important.....i think from a head coaching perspective ur right he isnt the worst coach out there....he isnt the worst coach that weve had....i disagree with u to a point about the players tho.....i do believe they are losing some faith in him....hes losing credability.....with parcells no longer in the facility he loses a little bit of that free pass that he had.

the big thing with sparano tho is he is such a poor gameday coach....if HE cant manage a game how can he ever expect his quarterback to? its awful.....his use of challenges, timeouts, critical decisions are severely lacking. the one thing i really find unacceptable tho is his conservative nature....his willingness to play for field goals. a team, unless its the last 30 seconds of a half or it puts u up by say 4 points or 7 or more with little time remaining in the game, simply should never kick a field goal inside the opposing teams 5 yard line.....u sacrifice points AND field position.....this is just a point that could be debated......but lets take belichecks decision against the colts last year leading by 4 and 4th and one at his own 40 with a minute left......belicheck made the right choice to go for it.....sparano would never be able to make that decision.

its easier to believe in a coach thats bold....its easier to believe in a coach that believes in you and is bold especially one that doesnt come up with high school catch phrases that destroy his credibility when the team starts losing - like feed the wolf......one that cant stop blundering in a press conference you know you know you know......or he really is you know.....he really did you know?????? the guy just isnt a great head coach and hes not going to be unless he has an overwhelming talent advantage....he certainly isnt going to lead a team thats going to be much fun to watch.

i dont know if cowhers the answer....and your concern is also my own.....can we clone belicheck??? i love the guys balls....i love the fact thats with a big lead against a team he might have to see again in the playoffs and a division foe that always is running their mouth......what does he do from the shadow of his own end zone????? they pass.....they KEEP passing......they absolutely DESTROY the Jets as if to say.....u can talk all u want.....when we are on the field u dont have a chance to beat us.....thats how superior we are.....not today not ever......they take the other teams will......if the jets meet the patriots in the playoffs they DONT HAVE A CHANCE.....miami has a better chance the last week of the season than the jets do....now could sparano EVER do that???? no chance.....they get a lead and every buddy and their brother knows we will be content to TRY to hold on.....you saw it last year against the saints.....we lost that game because conservative scared football doesnt win games......it doesnt inspire teams....sparano is not the answer

solid post.... good break down of Morano

lol. it is easier to draft a player that will start on a terrible team than it is to draft a player that will start on an elite team.

Really, so it's okay that NE missed on two 2nd round picks and their 3rd round pick in the same year? These guys aren't even with the team but I guess it's hard to make that elite lineup, lol!

Back
Top Bottom