Trading up for Sewell | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading up for Sewell

Now that we don't have to trade up for Sewell...how about we just go ALL-IN and complete our OLINE INDEFINITELY....

Pick #3 - Sewell

Our pick - Creed Humphrey

Be set on the O-Line for the next decade barring injury.

Imagine...

Jackson, Kindley, Humphrey, Hunt, Sewell

The youngest O-Line in the league.
One of the best OT prospects in the last decade...defending the blind side of one of the most accurate QB prospects ever.
We draft a RB/WR in the 2nd round. And if we aren't happy with what is available then we go BPA in the 2nd round because we got plenty of time to find those "missing pieces." We can push that to next year. Teams usually go for the skill positions once they're ready to actually contend for the big game...

Why not? Why not just finish the job? Why be in such a hurry and settle for mediocrity in the name of trying to address all the positions on our team in one offseason? Imagine having our QB, O-Line, and D-Line completely set for years to come...it would make finding those missing pieces so much easier going forward.

Last edited:
I know Sewell is supposed to be a "generational talent," (vomit) and I would be okay with Grier taking him there, but I've run the mock simulator a few times today, and I like my drafts a whole lot better when I take Parsons at 3 instead of Sewell. If we don't trade down, I'm starting to hope Houston ends with the same record as Atlanta, but with a stronger SoS, so we end up picking 4th and then 35th.

I know Sewell is supposed to be a "generational talent," (vomit) and I would be okay with Grier taking him there, but I've run the mock simulator a few times today, and I like my drafts a whole lot better when I take Parsons at 3 instead of Sewell. If we don't trade down, I'm starting to hope Houston ends with the same record as Atlanta, but with a stronger SoS, so we end up picking 4th and then 35th.
Yeah, I am torn myself. The thought of getting Sewell was a pipedream. I had Parsons, Chase and Smith as the guys I wanted where I thought we would pick. Now that we can get Sewell possibly I should be elated. Like you I would be fine with it but would rather trade down a couple spots (no more than to say 6-8) and still get one of these guys.

A couple of things stick out, I don't want to trade too far down and miss on all 4 of these targets and what happens if we are just stuck there? What if Sewell goes #2? Do we take Parsons at 3? Chase? I mean going by rankings Sewell - 2, Parsons - 4, Smith - 5 and Chase - 6 are right in that neighborhood. The rankings are from ESPN.

I think the best case scenario is we trade down to 5-6 for someone who wants Sewell and then still get to grab Parsons or Chase, and have a couple extra 2nd's and a 3rd maybe...or something like that...would be absolutely nuts.

But picking Sewell...look...if we expect to be a good team finally...it may be a decade or longer before we pick in the top 5 again. We'll never have a shot at a YOUNG "generational" talent at one of the most important positions in the NFL again...you can't be upset about it.

If I took Penei Sewell at #3 overall I wouldn't be moving him. You take a guy that high, you think he's a franchise cornerstone, you don't want to screw him up by moving him around to other positions you don't know if he can play and be 100% of himself. That #3 pick isn't that cheap from a salary cap standpoint, either. You want 100% of value off that pick and your best shot at getting 100% of value off any pick is almost always playing the player at the same spot where he became a superstar.

Austin Jackson, Robert Hunt, Solomon Kindley, those are the dudes that would have to figure it out amongst themselves. And personally I'd give thought to moving Austin Jackson inside to left guard, with Robert Hunt sticking at right tackle, and Solomon Kindley sticking at right guard.

If you couldn't run the football with that offensive line, even with a Myles Gaskin as your RB1, it's because your coaches suck. And with Penei Sewell anchoring one of the tackle positions, I would feel pretty good about pass protection longer term as well. The run game would REALLY help Tua, IMO. He gets rid of the football so quickly, that would tend to mitigate if this isn't your 100% best pass protecting lineup (which it very well might be).

If it doesn't work you can always shift Austin Jackson over to right tackle, and Robert Hunt inside to right guard, with Solomon Kindley playing the left guard position he played in college. That works for me as well. But I'd give Hunt a shot at growing into the full right tackle job first, because he's shown some things.

I'd love an offensive line that consists of Jackson - Kindley -Draft a center- Hunt - Sewell

Don't mind moving Sewell to RT to protect the blindside. That's the most important spot on the line for us. Plus, this is one of the highest graded prospects of all time, no doubt in my mind Sewell would be a monster RT as well.

Realistically though I think a trade down with a team looking to draft him or a QB happens if we secure the #3. Then we look to draft Parsons/Pitts/WR/EDGE.

There may not be a bigger Sewell fan here than me and i would love to have him.

But OT is just not a big enough need to using such a high pick.

Not with huge needs at WR and LB.

IF you take Sewell or Parson with the Houston pick then you either have to settle for a WR outside the top 3 or trade up to get one of them.

It will be interesting to see if Miami dabbles(or splashes)in the FA WR pool.That could change their 1st round strategy to where they could ignore WR and then take one in R2 or R3.

There may not be a bigger Sewell fan here than me and i would love to have him.

But OT is just not a big enough need to using such a high pick.

Not with huge needs at WR and LB.

IF you take Sewell or Parson with the Houston pick then you either have to settle for a WR outside the top 3 or trade up to get one of them.

It will be interesting to see if Miami dabbles(or splashes)in the FA WR pool.That could change their 1st round strategy to where they could ignore WR and then take one in R2 or R3.
Excellent point, free agency will give us a good idea of where we stand.

If I took Penei Sewell at #3 overall I wouldn't be moving him. You take a guy that high, you think he's a franchise cornerstone, you don't want to screw him up by moving him around to other positions you don't know if he can play and be 100% of himself. That #3 pick isn't that cheap from a salary cap standpoint, either. You want 100% of value off that pick and your best shot at getting 100% of value off any pick is almost always playing the player at the same spot where he became a superstar.

Austin Jackson, Robert Hunt, Solomon Kindley, those are the dudes that would have to figure it out amongst themselves. And personally I'd give thought to moving Austin Jackson inside to left guard, with Robert Hunt sticking at right tackle, and Solomon Kindley sticking at right guard.

If you couldn't run the football with that offensive line, even with a Myles Gaskin as your RB1, it's because your coaches suck. And with Penei Sewell anchoring one of the tackle positions, I would feel pretty good about pass protection longer term as well. The run game would REALLY help Tua, IMO. He gets rid of the football so quickly, that would tend to mitigate if this isn't your 100% best pass protecting lineup (which it very well might be).

If it doesn't work you can always shift Austin Jackson over to right tackle, and Robert Hunt inside to right guard, with Solomon Kindley playing the left guard position he played in college. That works for me as well. But I'd give Hunt a shot at growing into the full right tackle job first, because he's shown some things.
Reading the analysis of him it basically says he can line up anywhere.

I wrote what I wrote. I stand by it. I think it's foolish and risky to take a #3 overall guy who became a star playing left tackle and move him to right tackle, which he hasn't played. Could work out beautifully. Could be a massive waste of resources.

The blind side thing, having spoken to several coaches about this, just not necessarily convinced it's the thing everyone makes of it. It's not cut and dry. I think the reality is he needs two good tackles. You didn't see the Bengals moving Anthony Munoz to right tackle. Didn't see the Jaguars moving Tony Boselli to right tackle.

I think Tua has seemed more bothered by left side pressure than right side pressure anyway.

I think he has the talent and athleticism to adjust to the switch without too much trouble.

Guys do it in college every year.

I think he has the talent and athleticism to adjust to the switch without too much trouble.

Guys do it in college every year.
He played some RT in High School, so the concepts are there... and many MANY Right Tackles in the NFL played college LT. Normally, this is considered a downgrade and it is a sign that their feet are not the best. In this case, you would be dealing with a 20 year old kid, who can't even legally drink... I think he's more than young enough to make this move.

You absolutely take Sewell if he's there at 3. If the Jets draft him at 2 (which I don’t see, I see them taking Fields, Wilson or trading down) you draft Parsons or trade down within the top 10 for an absolute haul.

Sewell needs to be the pick if he's there. He gives us an elite o line if we can also add a good center and he was 17 years old as a freshman starting tossing around 20 and 21 year olds. The kid is incredibly special.

Back
Top Bottom