Trading up for Sewell | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading up for Sewell

Don't college left tackles move to RT (and other positions) in the NFL every year? I'm not concerned about a generational talent that checks all the boxes moving to the right side

There's no way you move Sewell if you take him. Jackson moves to LG like CK suggested, or moves to RT with Kindley to LG and Hunt RG.

Sewell is the LT if he's drafted. Has to be.
Who's is the better pass blocker...Jackson or Sewell?

The answer to that question should be lined up on Tua's blindside.

There's no way you move Sewell if you take him. Jackson moves to LG like CK suggested, or moves to RT with Kindley to LG and Hunt RG.

Sewell is the LT if he's drafted. Has to be.
Agree 100%. Move Jackson to LT, Hunt to RG, Kindley to LG...keep Jesse as swing and Dieter as backup when needed.

Who's is the better pass blocker...Jackson or Sewell?

The answer to that question should be lined up on Tua's blindside.
Not necessarily. Blindside protection is primarily necessary when you line up under C And turn your back to the LOS for a 5 or 7 step drop.

When you operate out of the gun, the QB sees the entire defense and sets protection accordingly.

This "blind side" protection is 1980s thinking in a 2020 world.

I wrote what I wrote. I stand by it. I think it's foolish and risky to take a #3 overall guy who became a star playing left tackle and move him to right tackle, which he hasn't played. Could work out beautifully. Could be a massive waste of resources.

The blind side thing, having spoken to several coaches about this, just not necessarily convinced it's the thing everyone makes of it. It's not cut and dry. I think the reality is he needs two good tackles. You didn't see the Bengals moving Anthony Munoz to right tackle. Didn't see the Jaguars moving Tony Boselli to right tackle.

I think Tua has seemed more bothered by left side pressure than right side pressure anyway.
Bingo

I wrote what I wrote. I stand by it. I think it's foolish and risky to take a #3 overall guy who became a star playing left tackle and move him to right tackle, which he hasn't played. Could work out beautifully. Could be a massive waste of resources.

The blind side thing, having spoken to several coaches about this, just not necessarily convinced it's the thing everyone makes of it. It's not cut and dry. I think the reality is he needs two good tackles. You didn't see the Bengals moving Anthony Munoz to right tackle. Didn't see the Jaguars moving Tony Boselli to right tackle.

I think Tua has seemed more bothered by left side pressure than right side pressure anyway.

Respect your opinion CK, always have.

Absolutely and 100% disagree with everything in the middle and at the end of this post though. Blindside protection is absolutely critical to keeping your QB healthy. We're also talking about protecting a "generational franchise QB talent" that we just drafted last year who had a major injury come off a blindside take down.

Has there ever been a QB who wasn't more bothered by pressure coming into his face rather than unknown pressure bearing down the blindside? Sure he may be more bothered and thrown off by it, but the blindside hits that you don't see coming are the ones that will make careers much shorter.

This isn't 1980's thinking as someone alluded too, it's just common sense. Suggesting shotgun formations eliminated the blindside is asinine. It's still the side the QB is most likely to take a brutal unseen hit from.

Last edited:
Also I'm not pulling for Sewell to be drafted and moved to RT, I just think it's a scenario that would work out in our favor if the FO decided on it.

I'm all on board for a trade down, or just draft Parsons straight up. We need a leader and a playmaker in that ILB role to bring and keep this defense at the next level

Not necessarily. Blindside protection is primarily necessary when you line up under C And turn your back to the LOS for a 5 or 7 step drop.

When you operate out of the gun, the QB sees the entire defense and sets protection accordingly.

This "blind side" protection is 1980s thinking in a 2020 world.
What???

Even in the gun, Tua's natural throwing motion will have his back (blind side) facing the right side. I would want my stronger pass blocker on that side.

"Three-step drops negate the need for blindside protectors," until defenses flood the short and medium zones and those quick reads aren't there...or aren't effective when they are. The best pass rusher is typically lined up against the weakest pass protector. I;d rather have Tua have an extra second to see it coming in his face than a strip-sack from behind.

By all accounts Sewell can play either position proficiently per the scouts. I am sure the OL coach can figure it out.

There may not be a bigger Sewell fan here than me and i would love to have him.

But OT is just not a big enough need to using such a high pick.

Not with huge needs at WR and LB.

IF you take Sewell or Parson with the Houston pick then you either have to settle for a WR outside the top 3 or trade up to get one of them.

It will be interesting to see if Miami dabbles(or splashes)in the FA WR pool.That could change their 1st round strategy to where they could ignore WR and then take one in R2 or R3.
For sake of discussion, let's say Grier and Flores decide Sewell is their guy.

There's plenty of talent at wide receiver to get a good one with Miami's own #1. Marshall, Bateman, Toney, Moore, and St. Brown. A few of those guys will be in play.

It's a fair point. Moving Sewell to RT would require a lot of switching on the line. Hunt to RG, Kindley to LT most likely.

Have to admit, it's fun to dream on a right side with Hunt and Sewell, though. Can you imagine the gapping holes in the run game?

Back
Top Bottom