Tua Will Set A Market High For QB's | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Will Set A Market High For QB's

It costs us cap room for our win now window which is the single most important aspect of this situation to consider.
I disagree with that... strenuously.

Tying ourselves to a 40 or 50m dead cap hit if Tua fails or is injured again would be problematic for me... especially considering that we wouldn't save mega dollars on this year's cap.

Sure... we could probably get his 2024 cap cost down to about 7 million or so (and save 16 or so)... but then you are left with some really high numbers in 2025 and 2026.
That will be an even bigger problem if Tua IS the man. Then you are going to be looking at 55m per year cap costs and no way to build a team around him because he's getting such a big % of the cap.

I'd MUCH rather pay a bit more now... but I think they'll go your way... sadly.

I disagree with that... strenuously.

Tying ourselves to a 40 or 50m dead cap hit if Tua fails or is injured again would be problematic for me... especially considering that we wouldn't save mega dollars on this year's cap.

Sure... we could probably get his 2024 cap cost down to about 7 million or so (and save 16 or so)... but then you are left with some really high numbers in 2025 and 2026.
That will be an even bigger problem if Tua IS the man. Then you are going to be looking at 55m per year cap costs and no way to build a team around him because he's getting such a big % of the cap.

I'd MUCH rather pay a bit more now... but I think they'll go your way... sadly.
Disagree with whatever adjective your little heart desires.

Tua playing out his 5th year and then getting franchised would be detrimental to the cap the next two seasons and would lead to a mass exodus of talent effectively closing the door on the SB window...

So your scenario of being "ok" with not extending him right away and letting him play out on big cap numbers is literally not an option....

Every QB that wasn’t part of a SB winner during their rookie contract falls into the same category as Tua — meaning they got paid and/or reset the market despite not “winning anything ever”.

Burrow got paid. Herbert got paid. Hurts got paid. Our own Dan Marino got paid despite the Dolphins franchise never winning a championship during his tenure. So have countless other QB’s and players over the history of the game.

Where’s the criticism or mocking of them? Why is it only Tua that should accept less until he helps lead the team to a title?

Some of you behave as if you have suffered brain damage. This won’t be the first or last time this has happened.

Not only that, wrt to Mahomes — notice that he’s only NOW working on a contract to take less. Which means he initially took more when his initial contract was up and he renewed. He wouldn’t have to restructure if he had already accepted less, as you seem to expect Tua to do now.

So, with that in mind, what’s wrong with Tua getting his pay day now, while he’s still young and healthy, then revisiting a few years later as Mahomes is allegedly now doing?

If your problem is that Mahomes is the anomaly and has already been part of a winner — what about everybody else that hasn’t met that benchmark? And don’t fire back with “well, Burrow and Hurts reached a SB” crap. So what? That doesn’t change the fact that they’ve won squat.

Furthermore, there are far more examples of players getting paid w/o having advanced to a SB or even a Conference title game. Peyton Manning and Drew Brees immediately come to mind, and there are a myriad of others. And that’s only including QB’s. What about non-QB’s? Where’s you ire and disdain over every other non-QB getting paid and resetting the market for their respective positions? Hypocrite.
I just stated facts. Never said Tua shouldn't sign a big deal or Mahomes is better than Tua somehow for now taking less.

I'm just pointing out the facts and how depressing the whole thing is on the surface when you realize we wernt close to beating KC this year and they are going to get even better, while we're now carrying the NFLs largest contract. It's a tough pill.

Highly doubt it. Tua has never won a game when the temp is 40 degrees or colder. Last time I changed, it gets cold in Pittsburgh. Tua needs to be in a dome.
or another warm place, domes don't travel well

I just stated facts. Never said Tua shouldn't sign a big deal or Mahomes is better than Tua somehow for now taking less.

I'm just pointing out the facts and how depressing the whole thing is on the surface when you realize we wernt close to beating KC this year and they are going to get even better, while we're now carrying the NFLs largest contract. It's a tough pill.
Whatever contract Tua signs will be outdone with the season or next. Salaries always go pop along with the cap

I tend to think it's kind of either/or.

One type of person will look at the production and think, 'there's no way I'm not going to gamble on this guy to see what the next 2-3 years bring. The NFL is designed to support pocket passers who get better year after year as they grow. Pay the guy, let him gather more experience running the offense and let's see where we're at in 2-3 more years.'

Meanwhile, another type of person will look at the lack of singular/clutch performances and think, 'I don't really care to see any more from this guy. He's too physically constrained to play like the most exciting QBs. Let's move on ASAP.'

To me, there's almost no middle ground. Personally, I know it's all entertainment so if someone would prefer a more exciting QB, I totally get it. It's basically just hero worship. Lots of fans obsess about how exciting other QBs are and its clear they'd prefer those guys regardless of W/L record.

The other side is also making a very reasonable case IMHO when they argue that the Dolphins would be incredibly silly to not gamble on Tua and see what he brings over the next few years. He's a pocket passer so theoretically his "window" is like 15 years long like we saw from Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Ben Roethliberger, Carson Palmer, M. Ryan, Kurt Warner, Joe Flacco, Jared Goff and many others. This is literally the first time in 25 years that the Dolphins have had a QB with any sort of outstanding production from the pocket. To throw that away obviously demonstrates a huge lack of patience from a fanbase that lusts after draft picks and roster turnover.

I honestly don't think a few million are going to move things one way or the other. Either Tua turns out to be well worth his price or he's not the guy. Most likely, we'll just have to pony up an uncomfortable amount of money and see how it goes.

To that last point, here's a good video about Eli Manning's infamous 2011 season which happened to come after one of his most unspectacular where he threw 25 INTs:

Last edited:
Why in the world has this thread got so much attention. The OP literally just spewed a non factual based sentence and 13 pages? Good Lord

I don't keep track of these things.

But I am seriously curious out of all the fans/posters who don't want to pay Tua this amount for "cap" reasons, are ok paying a DT over 10% of the cap?

I don't keep track of these things.

But I am seriously curious out of all the fans/posters who don't want to pay Tua this amount for "cap" reasons, are ok paying a DT over 10% of the cap?

C'mon, bro....letting Wilkins walk would be like turning your back on that epic Tank/Rebuild we did!

C'mon, bro....letting Wilkins walk would be like turning your back on that epic Tank/Rebuild we did!

The same could be said for Tua.

Hey, I'm just saying.

If you're OK paying Wilkins 25 million plus, you can't complain about Tuas suspected contract for cap purposes.

I'm frankly worried about both players at these new contract amounts. We'll extend Tua, no real choice despite me being curious what compensation we could get for him this offseason. CW I think we need to let walk as hard as that is. I can't compute Seiler at $8MM and CW in that $20+ range, will just be too detrimental to the rest of the roster and I just don't know that he moves the W/L needle all that much. Plus we would likely pick up a 3rd round comp pick and this team needs to start building assets to get younger and with cheaper contracts.

Back
Top Bottom