Tua Will Set A Market High For QB's | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Will Set A Market High For QB's

Fair again. My thing is when he did have more time did he really do anything great with it?? The play breaking down is not his strong point. Quick timed throws is what he’s winning with. So yes agree the oline needs to improve but so does Tua when he does get opportunities. How bout becoming more mobile so you’re not a statue in the mud back there?? Idk to me these contract numbers sound crazy after what we saw
Again don't disagree that we would all like him to take off occasionally when the opportunity presents itself. He will get there. A full season uninjured probably has him more confident of taking a hit or two.

Contract numbers are that. Numbers. Don't really care if he gets 40, 50 or 60...I know some will say The Cap James the Cap!

Just pay him fairly and let's rebuild the Oline with a couple good picks and pray they stay healthy.

This offense is lethal when they can run the ball and have time to throw. OLINE.

I hope the money gives him the security for his family. I also hope the big money buys him some swagger. The swagger that he'll bring to big games in the future freeing him to rise to the occasion and win. If the money makes him an assassin it's worth every penny.

Well I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

His oline was a bad as the Jets all year in terms of time to get the ball out.

If and it's a big if at this point, we get some sort of stability there and he stinks up the joint then yeah maybe it's time.

Wanna see what he, Reek and Co can do with 3 or heaven forbid 4 seconds to get the ball off.
Giving the benefit of doubt is different than giving 200m......

Just saying.........

That’s a different point then suggesting that a Tua fan isn’t a Dolphins fan.
Tua def has some fans who have followed him his whole career and started rooting for the Phins because of him. Then some dolphin fans have their wagon to him so tight they can’t admit that there are still questions about him.

I don’t wanna see another late season collapse that’s what I care about

Giving the benefit of doubt is different than giving 200m......

Just saying.........
As you said somewhere else. You either believe he is the guy and pay up or don't.

I have seen enough to say all in at this point. I have some (ok a little) faith our line will be better,than last year in terms of consistency. But all bets are off if Eich is playing center.lol

Tua def has some fans who have followed him his whole career and started rooting for the Phins because of him. Then some dolphin fans have their wagon to him so tight they can’t admit that there are still questions about him.

I don’t wanna see another late season collapse that’s what I care about
I understand that. I’m not making excuses for him in that he definitely needs to step up in those situations. However, Chiefs showed you how you beat the ravens in their stadium. You run the ball down their throats. And yes, Mahomes makes plays when no one else does, I get that.

I think they need to let Tua be Tua, and if he gets hurt so be it. He needs to extend plays, or try to and not just fall down because they are worried he’ll get hurt. It doesn’t do any good for him to stay healthy, but then not do what needs to be done in the playoffs or in December/January.

But, they also need to assist him in the sense that they need to add a package that he can use in crunch time that plays to his strengths. I’m talking about a quick strike, no huddle package that lets him keep the defense off balance.

I could see Tua excelling in such a package which could be used in critical situations against good defenses. Drew Brees had a package like that, and so did Tom Brady.

I believe he is capable. However, I don’t look at too many QBs and say that I would bet on them against Mahomes in the 4th quarter. Burrow has durability issues. Lamar Jackson hasn’t gotten over that hump, and neither has Josh Allen, nor did Brock Purdy, although, he didn’t miss The extra point, or fumble the punt return in 49ers territory, or not defer in overtime after winning the coin toss.

All I’m saying is that yes, Tua needs to prove he can win in those situations at this level, but also, the coaching staff has to improve as well in how they call the games and how they adapt their offense when things aren’t going well and when they are on the road.

I understand that. I’m not making excuses for him in that he definitely needs to step up in those situations. However, Chiefs showed you how you beat the ravens in their stadium. You run the ball down their throats. And yes, Mahomes makes plays when no one else does, I get that.

I think they need to let Tua be Tua, and if he gets hurt so be it. He needs to extend plays, or try to and not just fall down because they are worried he’ll get hurt. It doesn’t do any good for him to stay healthy, but then not do what needs to be done in the playoffs or in December/January.

But, they also need to assist him in the sense that they need to add a package that he can use in crunch time that plays to his strengths. I’m talking about a quick strike, no huddle package that lets him keep the defense off balance.

I could see Tua excelling in such a package which could be used in critical situations against good defenses. Drew Brees had a package like that, and so did Tom Brady.

I believe he is capable. However, I don’t look at too many QBs and say that I would bet on them against Mahomes in the 4th quarter. Burrow has durability issues. Lamar Jackson hasn’t gotten over that hump, and neither has Josh Allen, nor did Brock Purdy, although, he didn’t miss The extra point, or fumble the punt return in 49ers territory, or not defer in overtime after winning the coin toss.

All I’m saying is that yes, Tua needs to prove he can win in those situations at this level, but also, the coaching staff has to improve as well in how they call the games and how they adapt their offense when things aren’t going well and when they are on the road.
I respect all that and you make some great points. I don’t like dumping on Tua I bought his Danbury mint statue and a bunch of his cards. I really hope he’s the guy maybe I’m just a scarred Phin fan always expecting the worst it’s just in some moments he was so small and was already defeated when he went back on the field.

I don’t know if that intangible can be taught or what

As you said somewhere else. You either believe he is the guy and pay up or don't.

I have seen enough to say all in at this point. I have some (ok a little) faith our line will be better,than last year in terms of consistency. But all bets are off if Eich is playing center.lol
Yeah, about the Oline..........

I do think that should be the primary focus this offseason. Obviously it can't be the sole focus.

I'm not very confident, though.

Assuming we resign Hunt, and most likely not Williams, vet min jags or slightly better are about the best we can hope for in FA. I would draft Oline with our first pick for sure, maybe even the second, but very few rookies come in and perform like veterans.

Maybe we get lucky, but our track record in this area is not good.

The Chiefs' defense was the main reason they beat the Ravens. Mahomes is the best, but he doesn't win that Super Bowl without that D. We didn't really know it when they beat the Dolphins but they were truly elite down the home stretch.

I think Tua was told not to run this year due to the concussion issue but I think they will start doing more of it next year, almost all of the elite QB's have some sort of ability to extend plays within reason.

I'm not anti-Tua but he does seem to be deeply unlikable among most people who follow the team.

There's certainly an anti-Tua crowd and there's a crowd who's 'okay' with him for the next few years. But is there really any group we'd label as pro-Tua at this point?

When reporters suggest he's actually in fact one of the more popular players in the NFL based on jersey sales or whatever I have to wonder, because my sense is that's it's exactly the opposite. I feel like most people find him boring at best and at worst possibly a bit of a slow-minded dullard destined for mediocrity and possible embarrassment on the biggest stages.

I feel like the majority of people (maybe literally everyone here) is actually much more comfortable with him as a bridge QB towards a future where hopefully we end up with something even better and more dynamic unless somehow we're shocked and he really is Drew Brees 2.0 which we won't really know until we've tracked his 2-year passer rating spike out over a few more seasons.
I was an avid Tua fan before this past few months. Defended the guy steady. I'm not a hater by any stretch, but I've devolved into "show me more" mode. I don't personally believe he's earned "set the market" money, but its not my money and not my cap to manage. This organization's problems are MUCH bigger than Tua's contract.

if chris grier and mcdaniel get high, you might be right. and i would not put it past them. this is not a commentary about what the dolphins should do, it is what they will do, which are two different issues. however long that big contract is will be how long the dolphins will be mediocre again. nothing is worse than being a .500 team
Some might object to that. Being a .500 team the season is still entertaining at times and those teams are in the playoff race until the last week or two of the season, even if they fall short. Some would take that for the entertainment value over say 2-15.

If the Miami Dolphins are in the business of winning playoff games and ultimately winning a SB or two, well then yes .500 is a bad place to be, typically don't draft high enough to add top level talent.

Unfortunately it looks like the 2019 rebuild has produced a slightly above .500 club that very well may be stuck in this position for years if we really are going to have $55 + million of the cap each year going to Tua.

Some might object to that. Being a .500 team the season is still entertaining at times and those teams are in the playoff race until the last week or two of the season, even if they fall short. Some would take that for the entertainment value over say 2-15.

If the Miami Dolphins are in the business of winning playoff games and ultimately winning a SB or two, well then yes .500 is a bad place to be, typically don't draft high enough to add top level talent.

Unfortunately it looks like the 2019 rebuild has produced a slightly above .500 club that very well may be stuck in this position for years if we really are going to have $55 + million of the cap each year going to Tua.
.500 football in my view is like kissing your sister. i am in it to win it

Back
Top Bottom