Universal Draft Mock Draft by CK (1st of 3) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Universal Draft Mock Draft by CK (1st of 3)

So much criticism of arm length...for a guy that is going to be a stand up linebacker. I don't get that. I know it's important but people have to realize it's much more important for a D-End than it is an OLB in a 3-4.

And when it comes to "measurables" I think the thing that is being ignored is what he'll test out at the Combine when they put a stopwatch on him.

Remember, he is easily as much a "freak" as Everson Griffen. Easily. I think he was a higher recruit. He ran a 4.43 at 240 lbs back in high school...we're talking about a 17 year old running Patrick Willis numbers at Patrick Willis size.

Apparently, he just plays football based on Senior Bowl. If he fits our scheme and plans, I have no prob with the pick. I think Bill Belichik might though.:tongue2:

I like the pick CK and the analysis about OLB being a problem. I thought it might be NT but then again....good points as usual.

everson griffen came in at 6 ft 3 plus and 273 lbs...actually 7 lbs more than derrick morgan...

Griffen Hopes to Be OLB Guy

USC DE Everson Griffen stepped to the podium this afternoon and talked a lot about becoming a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Griffen primarily played DE at USC and at 6-foot-3, 273 pounds, he has the size to play DE in a 4-3 scheme. He predicted that he would run a 4.5 in the 40 this weekend.

4.5??? you gotta be kidding me

Griffen Hopes to Be OLB Guy

USC DE Everson Griffen stepped to the podium this afternoon and talked a lot about becoming a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Griffen primarily played DE at USC and at 6-foot-3, 273 pounds, he has the size to play DE in a 4-3 scheme. He predicted that he would run a 4.5 in the 40 this weekend.

4.5??? you gotta be kidding me

If he runs a 4.5, say goodbye to this guy. He will be top 10, probably to the Jags.

a 4.5?!?!?

BTW, the more players that are simply amazing (workout warriors) like Campbell, the farther down the guys like Berry, mcclain, and Dez will fall.

This is a pretty good mock draft. There's a long way to go and everyone has their own opinion about different organizations and prospects, but certainly CK, you were very careful and thorough to try and look forward enough and predict trends so that it's at least a reasonable, possible outcome.

Which is pretty hard to do at this still-early stage. So good job.

My main issue: I just don't think there's any way the Jaguars pass on either Griffen or Morgan if they're there. Quentin Groves has been a complete bust in Jacksonville and as a result teams have been able to put double teams on an underachieving Derrick Harvey (who plays hard but is still very raw and undisciplined) and totally stymie him. The resulting lack of pressure got them massacred all year. I just don't see any way they take Bryant before either of those guys (or even JPP, though for some reason I don't see that).

A WR would be a luxury pick for a team with serious holes on their roster. They need help not just at end, but at tackle (Odrick?), safety (Berry's last stop if he slides), and weakside linebacker (making Weatherspoon another possibility). Simms-Walker has already showed true #1 potential and they seem very happy with him.

But most of all, they need a premium end. Griffen or Morgan. Right now I think it comes down to those two.

Assuming I'm right, in this this scenario we'd be left with the choice of Bryant or Graham. Given Bryant's huge talent I think we'd be in good position to trade down there. But if we didn't... man, what a hard choice. And let's say for a moment that Graham is gone and Griffen is there (not that Jacksonville would take Graham at put him at DE IMO, but just suppose), and it's between Bryant and Griffen.

Decisions, decisions. OLB is a bigger need, but WR is definitely a need and Bryant is bound to be higher on the board. Yeesh.

Sometimes I'm glad I don't have to pull the trigger on these things.

Great mock CK. I would love Graham as he has a nice motor. What he did in the Senior Bowl was very impressive and what we need more then anything is a LB who can tackle, whether it's on the inside or outside. I also like that Graham can get to the QB.

I chat with a lot of Eagles fans as I am a big Phillies' fan....nobody in Philly thinks they will take a LB, but if Spoon is there I think that would make sense. They seem to think Taylor Mays will be their pick, but I think Mays has dropped out of the first round. If somehow there is a change of heart in St. Louis, and they skip on Suh, then it creates a domino affect downwards and someone else might slide down to us, but I think B. Graham is our pick.

The DE/OLB guys are running today. Some interesting times. Everson Griffen ran a 4.64 and 4.73. Brandon Graham ran a 4.69 and 4.69 but pulled a hamstring on the final run. Carlos Dunlap a 4.71 and 4.66. Jerry Hughes a 4.63 and 4.59.

What that tells me is that Griffen, Graham and Dunlap are all about the same speed.

Big Terrence Cody ran a 5.64 and 5.75. Yikes.

This is a pretty good mock draft. There's a long way to go and everyone has their own opinion about different organizations and prospects, but certainly CK, you were very careful and thorough to try and look forward enough and predict trends so that it's at least a reasonable, possible outcome.

Which is pretty hard to do at this still-early stage. So good job.

My main issue: I just don't think there's any way the Jaguars pass on either Griffen or Morgan if they're there. Quentin Groves has been a complete bust in Jacksonville and as a result teams have been able to put double teams on an underachieving Derrick Harvey (who plays hard but is still very raw and undisciplined) and totally stymie him. The resulting lack of pressure got them massacred all year. I just don't see any way they take Bryant before either of those guys (or even JPP, though for some reason I don't see that).

A WR would be a luxury pick for a team with serious holes on their roster. They need help not just at end, but at tackle (Odrick?), safety (Berry's last stop if he slides), and weakside linebacker (making Weatherspoon another possibility). Simms-Walker has already showed true #1 potential and they seem very happy with him.

But most of all, they need a premium end. Griffen or Morgan. Right now I think it comes down to those two.

Assuming I'm right, in this this scenario we'd be left with the choice of Bryant or Graham. Given Bryant's huge talent I think we'd be in good position to trade down there. But if we didn't... man, what a hard choice. And let's say for a moment that Graham is gone and Griffen is there (not that Jacksonville would take Graham at put him at DE IMO, but just suppose), and it's between Bryant and Griffen.

Decisions, decisions. OLB is a bigger need, but WR is definitely a need and Bryant is bound to be higher on the board. Yeesh.

Sometimes I'm glad I don't have to pull the trigger on these things.

WR is a luxury pick? For the team that needs a #1 WR more than any other team in the NFL? The league that has become a passing league? You don't want to go into a gun fight with a pocket knife, and metaphorically we're not too far from that right now.

Lots of different stopwatches, lots of different times.

If you just go by fastest times on Tony Pauline's watch, from just among the guys Miami could be interested for OLB duties, you get...

Carlos Dunlap - 4.71
Dexter Davis – 4.56
Thaddeus Gibson – 4.72
Brandon Graham – 4.69
Everson Griffen – 4.63
Jerry Hughes – 4.63
Sergio Kindle – 4.68
Jammie Kirlew – 4.94
Austen Lane – 4.81
Brandon Lang – 5.03
Koa Misi – 4.71
Rahim Alem - 4.71
Greg Hardy – 4.90

Not all of the guys I would be interested in for OLB are available yet.

WR is a luxury pick? For the team that needs a #1 WR more than any other team in the NFL? The league that has become a passing league? You don't want to go into a gun fight with a pocket knife, and metaphorically we're not too far from that right now.

WR would be a luxury pick for the Jaguars, is what I said. They already have a #1 in Mike Simms-Walker. That makes it difficult for me to believe they'd take a Dez Bryant when their biggest need is someone who can rush the passer.

for my eyes thus far as conversion players griffen, gibson, hughes, misi, look like the best conversion players in drills

don't like what i'm seeing from austen lane or antonio coleman too upright in his pedal and lane looks stiff plus ran slow #s

jerry hughes is killing it in lb drills so smooth in his backpedal...i mean killing it

kindle looks decent but you can see the stiff hips...

dunlap looks stiff as hell...

griffen ran plenty well and i don't care his feet are way too good for me to worry about what he does today as an olb convert...

kirlew and dexter davis are intriguing but there's a discord between them and the top 4 guys

brandon lang is an outright fail as an olb

greg hardy almost standing straight up when asked to drop...don't see it

It's really too bad Graham pulled his hamstring and can't participate in the LB drills.

If Jerry Hughes is killing the linebacker drills then you could see him rise. He's still the best and most polished pass rusher in the draft. He ran a 4.59 at his 6'2" and 255 lbs. He did a lot of bench reps too, if I'm not mistaken.

It's really too bad Graham pulled his hamstring and can't participate in the LB drills.

If Jerry Hughes is killing the linebacker drills then you could see him rise. He's still the best and most polished pass rusher in the draft. He ran a 4.59 at his 6'2" and 255 lbs. He did a lot of bench reps too, if I'm not mistaken.

jerry hughes in the 2nd round is a joke...tapes way too good and his standup play today is beautiful...that pedal looks like a db almost...

i'm bummed about graham...

gibson looks pretty good also...

Derrick Morgan ran a 4.72 unofficial both times. Anxious to see him to LB drills.

Everson Griffen running that time and having 32 reps makes him my top choice after Bryant probably.

Back
Top Bottom