US Disqualyfied Because Of Oguchi Onyewu | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

US Disqualyfied Because Of Oguchi Onyewu

Alex44 said:
And you dont think Randy Moss would have great skills with the ball if he grew up playing it?

America just doesnt love the sport like the rest of the world, and our competition within the country isnt as good, we might win a world cup, but it will be done with Heart, not by being flat out better than everyone

:shakeno:

Seriously dude, drop the argument, you know nothing about football

Prime Time said:
He's been playing in Europe....
Sorry i meant Eng/Italy/Spain but probably wasn't the best shorthand since hes at Liege :hide:

finsmx said:
:shakeno:

Seriously dude, drop the argument, you know nothing about football

Your missing the point

Athelticism, people in america dont care enough about the sport to be a powerhouse contry

Alex44 said:
Your missing the point

Athelticism, people in america dont care enough about the sport to be a powerhouse contry
No your missing the point the fact football and basketball are dominated by "athletism" is because they are extremely simple games, even at the highest level a receiver still has to run block and catch not exactly challenging for your average human, 18 million Americans play soccer don't tell me there aren't any "athletes" among them :shakeno:

@@@ said:
No your missing the point the fact football and basketball are dominated by "athletism" is because they are extremely simple games, even at the highest level a receiver still has to run block and catch not exactly challenging for your average human, 18 million Americans play soccer don't tell me there aren't any "athletes" among them :shakeno:
Unfortunately, that is a major misconception over here. Same goes for swimmers. I've always thought the conditioning required for soccer players and swimmers far exceeds other sports.

IMO EVERY country in thier world cup has their TOP TIER ATHLETE in the world cup because that what they play in thier country. DONT TELL ME LANDON DONOVAN and the rest of the US squad are TOP TIER AMERICAN ATHLETES. If anything they are 2nd TIER or 3rd TIER in athletic ability. Im not saying that we would dominate but top high school atheles mostly likely dont go to a Univ on soccer scholarship. This is why its so tough for the US when they go up against the TOP Atheletes in the world. The US athlete just needs better competition they need to go to Europe instead of the MLS. They play too soft.

Here a good example: Say I told you to pick the 100 best American Athletes to play sport but I didnt tell you what sport we were going to play. I guarantee that none of the players on the US Squad would be in the top 100. But if England would do the same with thier English athlete I bet the entire english soccer squad would be in the top 100 probably in the top 50.

Amars said:
IMO EVERY country in thier world cup has their TOP TIER ATHLETE in the world cup because that what they play in thier country. DONT TELL ME LANDON DONOVAN and the rest of the US squad are TOP TIER AMERICAN ATHLETES. If anything they are 2nd TIER or 3rd TIER in athletic ability. Im not saying that we would dominate but top high school atheles mostly likely dont go to a Univ on soccer scholarship. This is why its so tough for the US when they go up against the TOP Atheletes in the world.

Here a good example: Say I told you to pick the 100 best American Athletes to play sport but I didnt tell you what sport we were going to play. I guarantee that none of the players on the US Squad would be in the top 100.
Athleticsim is secondary to ability in "soccer" note how in football even up to a proffesional level teams will take a chance on projects who are athletic but have no idea about the game, hell the eagles gave Gatlin a call!!! In soccer this doesnt happen because it takes years even decades to get to the required level of technical ability and undestand the nuances of the game at the highest level. Contrary to your statement the rest of the world do not have their premiere athletes playing they have their premiere "soccer" players playing the same as the U.S does

Prime Time said:
Randy Moss??? 6'5 (whatever he is) and fast...there are plenty of guys who are like that who play Soccer. They just don't make it. It isn't all about athletic ability. It is about the ability with a Soccer ball. One of the best players right now is an 18 Year Old Argentinian...and he is not the fastest nor the strongest but he can play with the ball.

Yeah, JOGA BONITO!

Dribling is soccer, the ability to make fantasy plays and handle the ball, not athletic skills!

Just look at Ronaldinho, how he handles the ball..., I bet Randy Moss, playing soccer all of his life wouldn't have the control in his feet to control the ball as many soccer players...
Ronaldinho_219053c-1.jpg

Theres a player in England, one of the best in England, I bet many of you know him..., his name is Wayne Rooney, he hasn't the best athletic body, I see him like a little fat for soccer, but he is one of the best of the world...
clear.gif

Theres another case..., Ronaldo, again not the prototype for the most athletic body, but the prototype of a world-class soccer player...
clear.gif
RONALDO HAVE THE CURRENT RECORD FOR THE "MOST GOALS IN A WORLD CUP CARRER" WITH 14 GOALS!, FOR MANY, THE BEST SOCCER PLAYER OF THE WORLD, HE HAS ALSO WON 3 TIMES THE BEST SOCCER PLAYER AROUND THE WORLD BY FIFA...

By the way, Lionel Messi (Argentina) is not one of the best players in the world, but will be!!! :wink:
clear.gif
TOMORROW WILL BE HIS 19TH BIRTHDAY, AND TOMORROW ARGENTINA PLAYS AGAINST MEXICO!!!

@@@ said:
Athleticsim is secondary to ability in "soccer" note how in football even up to a proffesional level teams will take a chance on projects who are athletic but have no idea about the game, hell the eagles gave Gatlin a call!!! In soccer this doesnt happen because it takes years even decades to get to the required level of technical ability and undestand the nuances of the game at the highest level. Contrary to your statement the rest of the world do not have their premiere athletes playing they have their premiere "soccer" players playing the same as the U.S does

I do agree with you that it takes years to develop a great competative soccer player just like any sports. Im not saying you can pluck the Terrel Owens out of football into soccer. Mainly I feel the US can produce a better group players then they have on the field.

@@@ said:

I think you guys are mixing up the words "athlete" and "athleticism" (these don't always go together). To say athleticism isn't as important in soccer as in football may be accurate, but that IS NOT a counter-argument to: If the best athletes in the US chose to play soccer professionally instead of other sports, the US would produce top class soccer players.

The US produces a wealth of youth soccer talent, but one thing (more than anything else) keeps us from producing top senior level talent: MONEY. Young athletes in the US know they can get rich playing baseball or football, but few kids who play soccer in the US know this (trust me, even if we here do, those kids in the inner cities generally don't - they don't see these stars on television, in the press, etc...)

So, our best athletes (this DOESN'T mean the most athletic) choose the sports where they see the most money being made. Some things seem to have changed after MLS, but nowhere near where it could be. How else do you explain the composition of the US team? In 1998, most of our players were from white middle-class families!! Today, about half are. After MLS, we see more blacks (Beasely, Onyewu, Pope, etc..) and occasional transplants from other sports (Bocanegra), but where are the Hispanics (Reyna came from outside US soccer, so only Mastroeni - another Argentinian - is the only example)??? And where are the inner-city blacks???

So, it's very likely that if our best athletes (remember this does NOT mean most athletic) chose soccer, we would be a Brazil of this sport. If you think otherwise, you're arguing something in the genetic pool of Americans could never produce top-class soccer talent (and that argument is laughable).

ckb2001 said:
I think you guys are mixing up the words "athlete" and "athleticism" (these don't always go together). To say athleticism isn't as important in soccer as in football may be accurate, but that IS NOT a counter-argument to: If the best athletes in the US chose to play soccer professionally instead of other sports, the US would produce top class soccer players.

The US produces a wealth of youth soccer talent, but one thing (more than anything else) keeps us from producing top senior level talent: MONEY. Young athletes in the US know they can get rich playing baseball or football, but few kids who play soccer in the US know this (trust me, even if we here do, those kids in the inner cities generally don't - they don't see these stars on television, in the press, etc...)

So, our best athletes (this DOESN'T mean the most athletic) choose the sports where they see the most money being made. Some things seem to have changed after MLS, but nowhere near where it could be. How else do you explain the composition of the US team? In 1998, most of our players were from white middle-class families!! Today, about half are. After MLS, we see more blacks (Beasely, Onyewu, Pope, etc..) and occasional transplants from other sports (Bocanegra), but where are the Hispanics (Reyna came from outside US soccer, so only Mastroeni - another Argentinian - is the only example)??? And where are the inner-city blacks???

So, it's very likely that if our best athletes (remember this does NOT mean most athletic) chose soccer, we would be a Brazil of this sport. If you think otherwise, you're arguing something in the genetic pool of Americans could never produce top-class soccer talent (and that argument is laughable).

The African-American baseball player is something that is going away also.

postermaster said:
Yeah, JOGA BONITO!

]

Theres a player in England, one of the best in England, I bet many of you know him..., his name is Wayne Rooney, he hasn't the best athletic body, I see him like a little fat for soccer, but he is one of the best of the world...
http://www.4thegame.com/media/00/02/87/rooney_wayne_mufc_profile_2005.jpg

Are you kidding me? I'm a neophyte at this stuff and *I* know Rooney. He has the attitude and scruffy appeal to appear on field as if he's been the last one standing in an old fashioned Irish Pub fight, and still can bring it for 90 minutes on the field.
Sheesh. I'm not into objectifying anyone, but this kid is fit, not fat. I guess it is the old saying, as with Renaldo, if someone says it enough, it must be true.....:shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom