Watch this Space: Victor Cruz | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watch this Space: Victor Cruz

The question is NY Giants must place a RFA tender for him, with two numbers: a price tag and a draft picks price. Currently everything points Giants are placing a $2.88 million first-round tender on him. That means that Cruz could opt to play a year for such salary or wait until some team upbeats the tender. So Dolphins should use something close to $3.5 millions plus giving up a first round pick to Giants for his services on 2013.

Normally a first-round pick price looks too expensive, so no other team upbeats the tender and RFAs are locked with the option of accepting questionable money or being incapable of playing football.

A talented guy like Cruz deserves big money but Giants cap situation is among worst of the league, so they don't have the money to use a franchise tag nor placing a decent tender on him. The thing is players within bad teams normally don't achieve important incentive clauses of their contracts, but in a successful franchise several players complete their goals, so big money arrives, counting against the salary cap of such team.

With Eli & crew winning a pair of SB in the last years, almost every cent of each contract is causing problems to John Mara.

The NYG have already been working on a new deal with Cruz and I guarantee it has been at a larger number than 3.5 mil. Just because we offer a hair more than the restricted number does not mean he would sign it. I just think it's silly to think the NYG would dump a player of this calibre because of money, there's a way to make things work and cutting overpaid vets is a smarter way. Re-structuring is a smarter way.

I also do not believe in trading our 1st round pick for a wr that wants top dollar when we can potentially sign a top flight receiver in FA and still have our first round pick to help improve the team in other areas which is badly needed.

Personally I believe a deal will get done shortly after players start getting dumped.

The NYG have already been working on a new deal with Cruz and I guarantee it has been at a larger number than 3.5 mil. Just because we offer a hair more than the restricted number does not mean he would sign it. I just think it's silly to think the NYG would dump a player of this calibre because of money, there's a way to make things work and cutting overpaid vets is a smarter way. Re-structuring is a smarter way.

I also do not believe in trading our 1st round pick for a wr that wants top dollar when we can potentially sign a top flight receiver in FA and still have our first round pick to help improve the team in other areas which is badly needed.

Personally I believe a deal will get done shortly after players start getting dumped.
1) According to reports NY Giants are offering Cruz something close to $3M/year with a pathetic signing bonus.
2) Victor's agent is looking for big payment, close to $10M, so it looks pretty much like Jake Long's situation with Dolphins, the player would love to stay but the team is short on budget for his spot.
3) NY Giants have an excellent scouting crew and they are happy with the talent at WR in this draft. Also unlike several holes at defense, they aren't shy at the spot.
4) So they would love to bring Cruz back, but as a collateral damage of a weird salary cap situation, Victor Cruz could be playing elsewhere.
5) I'm realistic and knowing Jeff Ireland, he won't throw a first round pick for any "expensive" veteran.

1) According to reports NY Giants are offering Cruz something close to $3M/year with a pathetic signing bonus.
2) Victor's agent is looking for big payment, close to $10M, so it looks pretty much like Jake Long's situation with Dolphins, the player would love to stay but the team is short on budget for his spot.
3) NY Giants have an excellent scouting crew and they are happy with the talent at WR in this draft. Also unlike several holes at defense, they aren't shy at the spot.
4) So they would love to bring Cruz back, but as a collateral damage of a weird salary cap situation, Victor Cruz could be playing elsewhere.
5) I'm realistic and knowing Jeff Ireland, he won't throw a first round pick for any "expensive" veteran.

Not that I'm arguing with you but my entire posts that have been argued against have been about the NYG holding the cards in this situation. They will tender him, he can decide to play or get nothing.
I would be in utter shock if it went any other direction then that or a long term deal.

Not that I'm arguing with you but my entire posts that have been argued against have been about the NYG holding the cards in this situation. They will tender him, he can decide to play or get nothing.
I would be in utter shock if it went any other direction then that or a long term deal.
Giants have poor cap space to negotiate with Cruz' agent. They don't own the space to tag him nor to use an exclusive rights tender on him, thus the money Giants will put on him is not an obstacle, in fact they can't require more than a first round pick for him as they must place a consistent offer. Lets say they pretended to ask for 1st and 2nd round picks, that would lead to tender him for something close to $11M where the team will have a mission impossible on dealing with the salary cap.

So the most feasible thing is Cruz will have a low tender that WR-starving teams will be capable of beating but the 1st round pick price tag will persuade.

With a bunch or talented WR coming from college, there's a chance of a lowered price of 2nd round plus some defensive player. If Cruz is patient, that's an scenario where Ireland could send a defensive player to Giants in exchange of the salsa-dancing receiver.

Victor Cruz is Puerto Rican, a virtual God in NY, and relatively cheap. Not happening.

Exactly, there is no place in the U.S where he would even come close to having fans that loyal to him, he is also going to cost Miami more then he is worth, as great a talent as he is....no thank you.

The real problem is that Victor Cruz does not operate on the same team as Davone Bess. If the Dolphins were to be interested in Cruz they would have to work out a sign-and-trade with the Giants and it would probably involve sending Bess over to them to play the slot in place of Cruz, and on top of that we'd have to give up probably a 2nd round pick and maybe a low pick on top of that.

Victor Cruz ran 377 of his 541 routes from the slot. He was targeted 93 times with 58 catches for 867 yards and 8 TDs from the slot.

Playing on the perimeter he was targeted 44 times with 28 catches for 225 yards and 2 TDs...on 164 routes.

That's 2.30 yards per route and 9.3 yards per attempt from the slot versus only 1.37 yards per route and 5.1 yards per attempt on the perimeter.

I'm not calling him a Davone Bess. I believe he's better than a Davone Bess. But he and Davone Bess do not play on the same team.

The real problem is that Victor Cruz does not operate on the same team as Davone Bess. If the Dolphins were to be interested in Cruz they would have to work out a sign-and-trade with the Giants and it would probably involve sending Bess over to them to play the slot in place of Cruz, and on top of that we'd have to give up probably a 2nd round pick and maybe a low pick on top of that.

Victor Cruz ran 377 of his 541 routes from the slot. He was targeted 93 times with 58 catches for 867 yards and 8 TDs from the slot.

Playing on the perimeter he was targeted 44 times with 28 catches for 225 yards and 2 TDs...on 164 routes.

That's 2.30 yards per route and 9.3 yards per attempt from the slot versus only 1.37 yards per route and 5.1 yards per attempt on the perimeter.

I'm not calling him a Davone Bess. I believe he's better than a Davone Bess. But he and Davone Bess do not play on the same team.

Thanks for this CK.

But in a league driven by scoring as many touchdowns as possible and the need for teams to possess the personel with the ability to score 30+ points against the elite teams to stand a chance of winning (especially in the playoffs) Would Victor Cruz be a better option than Bess at the slot role? Given that Bess has scored 12 TDs in his five year career at Miami whereas Cruz has just come off a 10 TDs season. Would Cruz be worth the investment?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, I think he's better. But you have to find a destination for Bess if you're going to do this.

As I said, I think he's better. But you have to find a destination for Bess if you're going to do this.

I'm going to have to defer to Sherman and Philbin. The key to this offseason is not only about the aquisition of more talent surrounding Tannehill but can Sherman devise a gameplan that generates more TDs across the offense.

You guys who are ignoring the issue of the other FA's the Giants need to try to bring back just aren't dealing with reality.

Will Beatty is an excellent young LT and will be exteremely difficult to replace with the 19th pick, and they can't afford to trade up, they are going to need every pick they have to fill out their roster after they make the necessary cuts and lose their other FA's. Joeckel and Fisher are probably gone in the 1st round and if San Diego doesn't sign a LT, Lane Johnson will be gone as well. Actually, the Dolphins are also a threat to draft LT as well.

I think it is glaringly obvious that the Giants have no intention of signing Cruz to a big deal. They will either risk the tender and likely holdout ortrade him. The best case scenario for the Giants is obviously that they tender him and some team makes him an offer and they get 1st round comp.

That way they may still be able to bring back Beatty and Bennett and they may be able to draft Teo and Jonathan Cooper.

They have over 20 FA's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you getting the picture yet??? Over 20 FA's, some of them very highly ranked and graded, but others that were importan to the team as well, like LB Chase Blackburn and especially TE Martellus Bennett who had a great year.

Giants have poor cap space to negotiate with Cruz' agent. They don't own the space to tag him nor to use an exclusive rights tender on him, thus the money Giants will put on him is not an obstacle, in fact they can't require more than a first round pick for him as they must place a consistent offer. Lets say they pretended to ask for 1st and 2nd round picks, that would lead to tender him for something close to $11M where the team will have a mission impossible on dealing with the salary cap.

So the most feasible thing is Cruz will have a low tender that WR-starving teams will be capable of beating but the 1st round pick price tag will persuade.

With a bunch or talented WR coming from college, there's a chance of a lowered price of 2nd round plus some defensive player. If Cruz is patient, that's an scenario where Ireland could send a defensive player to Giants in exchange of the salsa-dancing receiver.

As per my previous post M.Boley was just released = 4+mil saved. C.Canty is next = 6+ mil.

V.Cruz will be a Giant and sign a long term contract.

To me the G-Men will put the high RFA tender on him and then draft a WR in the first two rounds to play should he sit out. If a team offers him a high contract, they will look it over and decide to match or if it is outrageous amount, accept the 1st round pick. I'm not a fan of giving up our #12 pick for Cruz. I know, I know, he's experience yada yada yada. But I'd keep the 12th pick. Yes, even if we use it on an "unproven rookie" like Patterson. :D

As per my previous post M.Boley was just released = 4+mil saved. C.Canty is next = 6+ mil.

V.Cruz will be a Giant and sign a long term contract.

It is 3.1 mil in cap saved and they are still in the hole with 20 free agents. Boley's release was forgone conclusion because a 7th round pick could play as good as he did last year. Beatty,Bennnett,Bradshaw, Rolle, etc. are a whole different story, and Rolle is unlikely to restructure; it doesn't fit his attitude of extreme greed.

The Giants are still over the cap. They have no money to give out any contracts yet to any of their 20 some free agents.

Your not paying attention. Wake up!

To me the G-Men will put the high RFA tender on him and then draft a WR in the first two rounds to play should he sit out. If a team offers him a high contract, they will look it over and decide to match or if it is outrageous amount, accept the 1st round pick. I'm not a fan of giving up our #12 pick for Cruz. I know, I know, he's experience yada yada yada. But I'd keep the 12th pick. Yes, even if we use it on an "unproven rookie" like Patterson. :D

I thin it is far more likey that if the Dolphins are interested in Cruz they would not offer the #12 but rather a 2nd and a a player or two. Young cheap guys that can start but won't cost much. Maybe Koa Misi and John Jerry. Jerry is a good pass blocker and Misi was more than decent.

The Giants are going to need guys everywhere. David Diehl is going to get cut for bad play and Sean locklear won't be getting a new contract. Chase Blackburn won't be getting an offer either so they will be terribly thin at LB and have serious need on the OL; and with Osi gone ya gotta know they are going to want to draft an edge rusher.

They drafted a WR in the 2nd last year, right? Reuben Randle. I would guess they would wait til at least the 3rd and maybe the 4th to draft a WR.

It is 3.1 mil in cap saved and they are still in the hole with 20 free agents. Boley's release was forgone conclusion because a 7th round pick could play as good as he did last year. Beatty,Bennnett,Bradshaw, Rolle, etc. are a whole different story, and Rolle is unlikely to restructure; it doesn't fit his attitude of extreme greed.

The Giants are still over the cap. They have no money to give out any contracts yet to any of their 20 some free agents.

Your not paying attention. Wake up!

Or what I have been posting is coming into fruition! Funny your disagreeing with me and it's happening right in front of your eyes but I have to wake up, lol.

Back
Top Bottom