We made a run and learned a few things | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We made a run and learned a few things

We upgraded barely at LB and signed a pretty mediocre TE...yay

Barely? Baker stunk. Dude made 6 big plays in 6 years.

He was scared to death of tackling. All he could do is run. He wasn’t a LB.

Dude got his contract and avoided contact ever since. The Dolphins told him they’d offer him a chance to come back on a reduced salary and then decided they didn’t even want to make him an offer.

Occasionally the ball would hit him in the back or on his helmet on a pass play and he’d get credit for a PBU.

Been telling everyone for years that he was overrated, glad the FO finally saw it. He liked to JOG.

Quality defenses can’t have guys who won’t put forth the effort.

Even the play he got hurt on was a total boneheaded play.

And I say all that a die hard Ohio State fan.

Last edited:
I mean it’s easy to be an upgrade at TE for miami when your top target is Smythe. Hoping he actually gets used but i don’t have high expectations, maybe 700 yards and 5 tds. Slightly better Gesicki
Smith actually fits the scheme and can easily be George kittle esque here. Great RAC and capable blocker

Jonnu Smith is not "really, really good" and nowhere near being a Top 10 TE. The guy averages about 30 receptions and 400 yards a year. He's about as underwhelming as it comes. Walker and Brooks are just "meh" players too.
Go look at the QBs he has played with and the tight ends he’s played next to. In Tennessee he was a stud sharing snaps with Delanie Walker and catching passes from shitty ass Tannehill.

They couldn’t afford to keep him so he went to the Patriots for $50 million (go look at how many tight ends have gotten $50 million contracts). In NE, he played next to Hunter Henry with shitty ass Mac Jones at QB until they dumped his contract to Atlanta.

Then in Atlanta he played next to top 5 pick Kyle Pitts (who he outperformed) while catching passes from shitty ass Mariota and Ridder.

This is going to be his first time playing as the TE1 in a non-retarded offense with a non-retarded QB. He is going to put up Evan Engram numbers. I’m not even predicting, I’m telling. At this time next year we’re going to be desperately hoping we can keep him.

Jonnu Smith is not "really, really good" and nowhere near being a Top 10 TE. The guy averages about 30 receptions and 400 yards a year. He's about as underwhelming as it comes. Walker and Brooks are just "meh" players too.
Check the QBs he played with.

It sucks we lost all those good players. It sucks we paid a player who's currently injured and lost a first rounder we hit on. We made a run. We learned a few things. It's time to reload. I'm OK if the defense loses a step if that means McDaniel, the offense, Tua, Waddle and Achane continue to develop. We'll be players again next off season. Just take a chill pill.
given what looks to have happened to the OL, why are you optimistic the offense will be better?

Telling everyone you don’t watch football without actually telling them.

Oh, and you’re wrong about Brooks and Walker, too. Brooks was a first rounder and Seattle badly wanted to keep him. He has been incredibly productive and is still only 26. Their fans aren’t happy to lose him. Go look at how his tackle numbers compare to the rest of the league. He’s still on the ascent.

Walker is a very solid third ILB. Good all around player, very good in coverage. If not for injuries, he’d have been in greater demand. He’s not a star but like I said, better than Baker. Baker is trash.

given what looks to have happened to the OL, why are you optimistic the offense will be better?

OG is deep in this draft class. Just like DT.

I also contend that Robert Hunt was incredibly overrated, going back to 2022 when we couldn’t gain a single yard on short yardage all season, despite having Hunt.

Go look at the QBs he has played with and the tight ends he’s played next to. In Tennessee he was a stud sharing snaps with Delanie Walker and catching passes from shitty ass Tannehill.

They couldn’t afford to keep him so he went to the Patriots for $50 million (go look at how many tight ends have gotten $50 million contracts). In NE, he played next to Hunter Henry with shitty ass Mac Jones at QB until they dumped his contract to Atlanta.

Then in Atlanta he played next to top 5 pick Kyle Pitts (who he outperformed) while catching passes from shitty ass Mariota and Ridder.

This is going to be his first time playing as the TE1 in a non-retarded offense with a non-retarded QB. He is going to put up Evan Engram numbers. I’m not even predicting, I’m telling. At this time next year we’re going to be desperately hoping we can keep him.
I hope you're right, but past production indicates he's nothing to write home about.

OG is deep in this draft class. Just like DT.

I also contend that Robert Hunt was incredibly overrated, going back to 2022 when we couldn’t gain a single yard on short yardage all season, despite having Hunt.
ok. you are confident we get the right guy? and if we do, that player helps next year? it took hunt two years, AJ three years, and eichenberg still blows, let alone all the other guys grier got wrong. and we need a center and a guard in addition to having a backup for armstead. so possible, but i would say not probable.

It sucks we lost all those good players. It sucks we paid a player who's currently injured and lost a first rounder we hit on. We made a run. We learned a few things. It's time to reload. I'm OK if the defense loses a step if that means McDaniel, the offense, Tua, Waddle and Achane continue to develop. We'll be players again next off season. Just take a chill pill.

I assumed you would include in your post the lessons learned. So exactly what are the things that got learned?

And are you just talking about making a run to get into the playoffs?

ok. you are confident we get the right guy? and if we do, that player helps next year? it took hunt two years, AJ three years, and eichenberg still blows, let alone all the other guys grier got wrong. and we need a center and a guard in addition to having a backup for armstead. so possible, but i would say not probable.

I never thought that highly of Hunt or Ajax to be honest.

The Dolphins OL hasnt been able to move DL in two years and pass protection was near the bottom of the league anyway. If not for Tua’s ability to get the ball out quick he’d have been sacked a lot.

It can only get better with new blood.

I mean it’s easy to be an upgrade at TE for miami when your top target is Smythe. Hoping he actually gets used but i don’t have high expectations, maybe 700 yards and 5 tds. Slightly better Gesicki
I live in Atlanta and Smith was a very good blocker. He also has nice hands and can be a seam threat. The Falcons have Pitts and now that Arthur Smith is gone as coach, it’s likely the Falcons will not be using as many 2 TE Sets. You seem down on this TE but you say, “maybe 700 yards and 5 TDs”…….that’s actually very good production for a TE. I’m not even going to guess what his numbers will be, but he was a great signing in my opinion. And can be a very serviceable blocker and pass catcher (Gesicki couldn’t block my dead grandmother).

Exactly the mind set I am going to embrace.

Even if 24 isn't the best year, if we set ourselves up with cap flexibility and alot of picks for the future I'm on board.

I've been watching the Packers kinda close bc of my Mom and they have built a great athletic young roster the right way. I'm very envious of what their future looks like. I want us to be set up for success like they are.

The whole "F*** THEM PICKS" approach is fun in the moment when you land a Tyreek Hill, but if you don't win anything out of it, it's really depreciating to the franchise.

Back
Top Bottom