What could you spend Landry's $14M a year on instead of Landry? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What could you spend Landry's $14M a year on instead of Landry?

It's a good question. I hope Miami signs Jarvis Landry and feel those who are looking at his yards per catch are missing the point. He does change games for the Dolphins and he does spark an offense that serious lacks in that department. His been durable and productive.

If the team lets Landry go, I'd use the money for a legit tight end if one is on the market, a starting caliber guard and maybe someone to challenge for that slot position.

That would free up the draft to improve the defense, or even go after a qb like Baker Mayfield who I'd love o see on Miami.

It's a good question. I hope Miami signs Jarvis Landry and feel those who are looking at his yards per catch are missing the point. He does change games for the Dolphins and he does spark an offense that serious lacks in that department. His been durable and productive.

If the team lets Landry go, I'd use the money for a legit tight end if one is on the market, a starting caliber guard and maybe someone to challenge for that slot position.

That would free up the draft to improve the defense, or even go after a qb like Baker Mayfield who I'd love o see on Miami.
Mayfield 'in play' for Browns with top pick
13072.jpg

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson reports there's "a fit developing" between the Browns and Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield.

"A lot of what he is as a player fits with John Dorsey," a league source told Robinson. "Just his makeup, John believes in building around those kinds of guys. I think he’s a strong candidate for the top pick after this week." Mayfield has been the best quarterback in Senior Bowl practices, outshining Wyoming's Josh Allen. Mayfield draft stock is trenindg up coming off a Heisman winning season. Despite size concerns, it won't be surprising if Mayfield ultimately lands in Cleveland

Ozzy rules!!

"Fill Holes" with a couple of Andre Branch or Kiko Alonso type JAGs.

This. I was leaning towards the "don't overpay" camp before realizing, we are the Dolphins, man! Maybe that strategy would work for better teams, but what's the point of saving money if we have no idea how to use it properly? Better to overpay for good players than overpay for the trash we usually overpay for: Branch, Alonso, Timmons, Julius Thomas, Maxwell, etc.

Same argument would apply to Suh and Vernon. Maybe our way to success is overpaying good homegrown players and trying to fill the gaps with low-cost draft picks. Sure, that'll leave us very weak at some spots, but I don't see a better plan right now.

What's going to suck if Landry gets that 14+ a year, is if Miami drafts a seam threatening TE.

This year, Adams scored 5 TDs with Rodgers at QB, and 5 with the backup... Sooooo...

You are correct 5 tds in 6 games with Rodgers and 5 in 10 games with backup that is in fact a drop in td production which proves Adams is reliant on Rodgers to make him look better than he is in the TD department.

Yes I know Rodgers is credited with 7 games started but the Minnesota game in week 6 he was in for 8 snaps so while he started I think its safe to say Hundley was in for the majority of the game as he had 58 snaps.

Last edited:
Mayfield 'in play' for Browns with top pick
13072.jpg

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson reports there's "a fit developing" between the Browns and Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield.

"A lot of what he is as a player fits with John Dorsey," a league source told Robinson. "Just his makeup, John believes in building around those kinds of guys. I think he’s a strong candidate for the top pick after this week." Mayfield has been the best quarterback in Senior Bowl practices, outshining Wyoming's Josh Allen. Mayfield draft stock is trenindg up coming off a Heisman winning season. Despite size concerns, it won't be surprising if Mayfield ultimately lands in Cleveland

Ozzy rules!!

I could see that. I think Mayfield has that "it" factor. I'm obviously not a scout, but I do think he'll be a quality quarterback. I think if he was 6-4, he'd already be penciled in as the top pick.

You can't compare the stats between Landry and Adams to justify paying Landry. They play different positions. Landry is matched up with Linebackers and slot defenders while Adams is being matched up with a teams #1 or #2 corner. Most slot DB's are short in stature and dont have the makeup speed of the outside guys, they have short area quicks. If they did have the makeup speed, they would be playing as a boundary corner and making more money than slot guys. BTW, The comp to Landry is Golden Tate.

Tate

Year Team G Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD

2014 DET 16 99 1331 83.2 13.4 5 4

2015 DET 16 90 813 50.8 9 0 6

2016 DET 16 91 1077 67.3 11.8 3 4

2017 DET 16 92 1003 62.7 10.9 3 5

Landry

2014 MIA 16 84 758 47.4 9 0 5

2015 MIA 16 111 1159 72.4 10.4 3 4

2016 MIA 16 94 1136 71 12.1 4 4

2017 MIA 16 112 987 61.7 8.8 0 9

Tate gets paid around 6 Mil a season, nowhere near what Landry wants or thinks he' s worth.

You can't compare the stats between Landry and Adams to justify paying Landry. They play different positions. Landry is matched up with Linebackers and slot defenders while Adams is being matched up with a teams #1 or #2 corner. Most slot DB's are short in stature and dont have the makeup speed of the outside guys, they have short area quicks. If they did have the makeup speed, they would be playing as a boundary corner and making more money than slot guys. BTW, The comp to Landry is Golden Tate.

Tate

2014 DET 16 99 1331 83.2 13.4 5 4

2015 DET 16 90 813 50.8 9 0 6

2016 DET 16 91 1077 67.3 11.8 3 4

2017 DET 16 92 1003 62.7 10.9 3 5

Landry

2014 MIA 16 84 758 47.4 9 0 5

2015 MIA 16 111 1159 72.4 10.4 3 4

2016 MIA 16 94 1136 71 12.1 4 4

2017 MIA 16 112 987 61.7 8.8 0 9

Tate gets paid around 6 Mil a season, nowhere near what Landry wants or thinks he' s worth.

Tate was a free agent and got paid what he was worth. Same thing will happen with Landry, and Landry is going to make a lot more than $6 million.

Apparently the stats are very similar, but for some reason Landry is worth much more?

You realize Tate signed his contract 4 years ago, so inflation is a thing. Also Tate signed his contract before he ever had a 1k season. His contract he got with detroit was based on his numbers in Seattle which weren't that great. If he did in Seattle what he did in Detroit he would have made a lot more money.

Yes, 4 years ago.. inflation does not go up 300% in 4 years.. Some people on here think Landry will get 16 mil. I think the reason Tate was paid more than all other slot guys 4 years ago is that he has speed and is more explosive. He runs a 4.4, where Landry is what 4.7. Also, Tate was not feed the ball like Landry during his rookie contract, Seattle had Marshawn Lynch carrying the rock 300 times a season. To think that Landry is worth anything north of 10 mil is insanity. So if Tate hit the open market he would be worth 10 million? OK, Edelman is another comp to Landry and Tate. He signed his contract in 2017 for 3yrs/15 million. My point is slot receivers are not being paid that of stud #1's.

Yes, 4 years ago.. inflation does not go up 300% in 4 years.. Some people on here think Landry will get 16 mil. I think the reason Tate was paid more than all other slot guys 4 years ago is that he has speed and is more explosive. He runs a 4.4, where Landry is what 4.7. Also, Tate was not feed the ball like Landry during his rookie contract, Seattle had Marshawn Lynch carrying the rock 300 times a season. To think that Landry is worth anything north of 10 mil is insanity. So if Tate hit the open market he would be worth 10 million? OK, Edelman is another comp to Landry and Tate. He signed his contract in 2017 for 3yrs/15 million. My point is slot receivers are not being paid that of stud #1's.

I don't think anyone including Landry really thinks he's going to get 16 million. If Tate had his Detroit numbers the last 4 years and was a 26 year old free agent, yes he would most definitely be worth more than 10 million on the open market, minimum 11-12. Edelman is an injury prone 30 year old WR, thats already 2 negatives in contract negotiations. No 30 year old injury prone WR is going to get big numbers invested on them. Also Tate may have 4.4 speed but the last 4 years in Detroit he has averaged 11.35 yards per catch compared to Landry's 10.10 yards per catch. Any player on the open market can get an absurd amount of money including a record breaking 25 year old WR. How else would you explain Vernon being the highest paid DE in the league at the time of his signing.

One thing no one has mentioned. Landry has been used here in the slot and produced top numbers. But another team in free agency may already have a slot and want To try Landry as outside receiver justifying the money in their mind. I wouldn’t bet against him suceeeding out there.

I would spay and neuter the Oline...Then pay Christensen to work at Santa's Village.

Is there anything worth a damn in free agency?

Back
Top Bottom