What validates board optimism!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What validates board optimism!!!

Jimmy James said:
Let's get personal in a way the board doesn't mind:

How do you feel about the chances of your Bills. Is the glass you drink out of as empty as it seems the glasses of many Dolphins fans are?

I submit that the definition of being a fan (which is short for fanatic, after all) requires that you never see the light. You have to pull for the team no matter what.

I'm as big a Bills fan as any, and I want them to win it all more than anything...that being said, as of right now I foresee an 8-8 or 9-7 season for Buffalo, no playoffs.

Last year was the first time in a couple years that I got excited about Buffalo, and I got burned. I won't make that mistake again, although I am EXTREMELY happy Gilbride is gone. I see the glass as half-empty, Jimmy ;)

finregime said:
When I do that I just get the link to appear.What's IMG all about?
Im freakin' stupid!!

LOL! I believe you can do it. First, you right click onto the picture you have selected. Then copy the complete URL. For example...this picture from Chris Chambers web site of Vernon Carey...

http://www.chrischambers84.com/themes/CChambers/uploads/images/carey.gif

Then you click the INSERT IMAGE icon in your reply to message or post message screen.
insertimage.gif

Paste the URL on the command line.

It will place the IMG tags around the URL. You could also do it manually if you wanted to ...

Then...hit Preview Post and your image should appear...

clear.gif

If it's there... hit Submit Reply.

Fair enough. That certainly helps establish your interest as sincere and not as hoping to cause angst for the sake of causing angst.

I'd end that with a :), but it just doesn't seem right.

CirclingWagons said:
I'm as big a Bills fan as any, and I want them to win it all more than anything...that being said, as of right now I foresee an 8-8 or 9-7 season for Buffalo, no playoffs.

Last year was the first time in a couple years that I got excited about Buffalo, and I got burned. I won't make that mistake again, although I am EXTREMELY happy Gilbride is gone. I see the glass as half-empty, Jimmy ;)

That is kind of sad. I think half of the fun of being a fan is getting all excited. Even when it ends in disappointment. Since 32 of 31 teams have disappointed fans at the end of the season.

good point

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
That is kind of sad. I think half of the fun of being a fan is getting all excited. Even when it ends in disappointment. Since 32 of 31 teams have disappointed fans at the end of the season.
I agree, excitement comes from knowing there is a new season this year. Everyone is 0-0.

CirclingWagons said:
An excellent post. Look fellas, just because he has a more realistic outlook doesn't mean he wants the Dolphins to fail. He's as much a fan as any of you, but he's sick of seeing his team underachieve.

Out of these three sentences, I agree with 0 of them....

Not an excellent post. What basis do you have for classifying his post as more realistic? More realistic that what? I don't believe the team has underachieved. I believe some fans overexpect.

CirclingWagons said:

;)
I see 11-5 and playoffs or 10-6 /wildcard 2nd in the AFCE behind the Pats. ;)

Denny said:
For those people, I ask you this one question. What has Wanny and the Dolphins done since taking over for JJ to validate optimism and protection?

They have won 42 games. Near the tops in the league over that stretch. Any thing else I can clear up for you? I'd be happy to help.

Justasportsfan said:
I see 11-5 and playoffs or 10-6 /wildcard 2nd in the AFCE behind the Pats. ;)

Beware the 10-6. Trust us on that one.

I really do hope you guys go 4-2 in the division, but I'm not sure about 6-4 or 7-3 for you folks against other opponents. More power to you guys if you can do that...just as long as you finish behind us water mammals. :D

What validates board optimism!!!

Simply to offset the ongoing negativity. I respect everyone's opinion. No matter how narrow-minded it may seem, they obviously have a reason to believe what they think is true, and certainly have the right to voice it.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
They have won 42 games. Near the tops in the league over that stretch. Any thing else I can clear up for you? I'd be happy to help.

Actually, the Fins rank 5th in regular season winning percentage over the last four years.

I think what Denny is asking is: What is different this year that provides reason for optimism? A fair question, though the swipe at optimists is a little much. Here's what I think:

1) Wanny will be a better coach without having personnel concerns on his plate.

2) I think our offensive line will be better.

3) I think our offensive gameplan will be flexible and will be prepared with specific opponent strengths and weaknesses in mind (unlike the Norv Turner) regime.

4) I think that although Foerster has the OC mantle, the offensive gameplan will, in practice, be a "gameplan by committee." This isa good thing, given the depth of our coaching staff (namely, Sullivan and Trestman).

5) I think either a healthy Fiedler or A.J. Feeley represents an upgrade over our QB situation for the last season and a half.

6) I think our schedule is much more conducive to late season success than it has been for years.

7) I think the team will flourish with a chip on its shoulder rather than being a consensus playoff pick.

I am concerned about:

1) Getting the Ogunleye situation resolved.

2) Getting David Boston back in a winning mindset.

But overall, I find more reasons for optimism than pessimism.

DrAstroZoom said:
Actually, the Fins rank 5th in regular season winning percentage over the last four years.

I think what Denny is asking is: What is different this year that provides reason for optimism? A fair question, though the swipe at optimists is a little much.

To be honest, we could be exactly the same as last year and make the playoffs. 10-6 will make the playoffs this year.

The more appropriate question is "Why the pessimism?".

Many people on this board want to equate missing the playoffs with records of 9-7 and 10-6 with going 0-16.

There is also an extremely unrealistic view of life in the NFL. All of the teams (well most of them anyway) are trying to make the playoffs.

There is no reason to be satisfied with missing the playoffs, but some attitudes displayed on this site are naive to the point of being comical.

CirclingWagons said:
ok, how many times will you get burned before you see the light?

That's the same excuse you hear from women who've had their hearts broken a time or two.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
I don't believe the team has underachieved. I believe some fans overexpect.

I think 10-6 was just about right for us last year. We had an outstanding defense that stood up far more often than not. But aside from a few skill players, the offensive talent was poor. Most importantly, the OL was severely inadequate. And when that is the case, it takes superstars at every other position to make up the difference. And even then you're hoping for a miracle.

We probably got better in a lot of places offensively. If so and by how much, we'll have to wait and see. But the changes on the OL alone are enough to make me excited. I really like our potential there. RG is where I'm concerned. I'm hoping Whitley can put it together and win the job. He's got the size, strength, and nastiness. Overall, I like the size and youth on that OL. At 27, Jeno James is the oldest offensive lineman on the roster.

Muck said:
I think 10-6 was just about right for us last year. We had an outstanding defense that stood up far more often than not. But aside from a few skill players, the offensive talent was poor. Most importantly, the OL was severely inadequate. And when that is the case, it takes superstars at every other position to make up the difference. And even then you're hoping for a miracle.

We probably got better in a lot of places offensively. If so and by how much, we'll have to wait and see. But the changes on the OL alone are enough to make me excited. I really like our potential there. RG is where I'm concerned. I'm hoping Whitley can put it together and win the job. He's got the size, strength, and nastiness. Overall, I like the size and youth on that OL. At 27, Jeno James is the oldest offensive lineman on the roster.

Good Post Muck..that's about how I had it. I actually think Yates is better prepared to play RG than any other player, except maybe Carey. Yates was outstanding last year as a undrafted rookie and if Whitney's improve, I can only think Yates got even better.

Back
Top Bottom