What validates board optimism!!! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What validates board optimism!!!

Muck said:
I think 10-6 was just about right for us last year. We had an outstanding defense that stood up far more often than not. But aside from a few skill players, the offensive talent was poor. Most importantly, the OL was severely inadequate. And when that is the case, it takes superstars at every other position to make up the difference. And even then you're hoping for a miracle.

We probably got better in a lot of places offensively. If so and by how much, we'll have to wait and see. But the changes on the OL alone are enough to make me excited. I really like our potential there. RG is where I'm concerned. I'm hoping Whitley can put it together and win the job. He's got the size, strength, and nastiness. Overall, I like the size and youth on that OL. At 27, Jeno James is the oldest offensive lineman on the roster.

I agree. A case could have been made for 11-5 or 12-4 last year since we did lose to the Texans and lost won we shouldn't have to the Pats, but 10-6 does seem about right.

I have the same hope for Whitley. Another reason I hope Whitley (and Eddie Moore) works out, is that it will give me more reasons to tell the Wanny bashers to STFU.

My concerns for this team are the OL getting comfortable together, making a decision at QB, backup DL, and backup LB.

There are many possibilities for the OL including McKinney move to RG and St. Clair playing center. I like the versatility of our players, especially when McIntosh comes back.

i like the doc's post. especially number 6. the schedule looks much kinder and gentler this year.

i prefer to remain optimistic because i look at sports as a means of escape from other forms of negativity. i could get burned every year and still cheer for the 'phins. if that makes some see me as inferior, then hooray for them! we all do what we need to do in life, don't we? there's no "who's the best fan?" contest, is there? is there some kind of prize for being the most realistic fan?

i like jimmy james' comment and echo it here: we're due!!!

The problem with relying on the schedule as a positive is that you never quite know who will be good and bad until a few weeks into the season. While it looks good now, it might be a nightmare schedule...

Jimmy James said:
The problem with relying on the schedule as a positive is that you never quite know who will be good and bad until a few weeks into the season. While it looks good now, it might be a nightmare schedule...

true to a point, but there's not the usual season-ender AT new england this year!

It would only be slightly less painful to see say Baltimore knock us out than it has been to see what went down the past couple of years...

Jimmy James said:

My optimism has little to do with who we're playing and more with when we're playing them. To wit, our key second divisional games are by and large at home.

I must say that's an excellent point, just as long as the team can win the first course of games that are uncharacteristically away games.

Jimmy James said:
I must say that's an excellent point, just as long as the team can win the first course of games that are uncharacteristically away games.

Well, historically, we're stronger then anyway.

Isn't that at least partially because we play division opponents at home first a lot of the time, though?

True. But all things being equal, I'd rather have our home divisional games later than earlier.

It will be good to see how it works out, at least. The worst case scenario would seem to be that we ditch the December swoon rep for a rep about being slow out of the gate. Just the psychological difference between the two might be enough to psych up the guys and get the team over the hump...

God I know I am a sarcastic SOB, Some things tick me off. How things are phrased for instance. DR you may be write in his intentions, but when I read that I have to validate my optimism, I ask why and why they dont have to validate pessimism. We all who have been fans have experienced the disappointment, we know they have choked. But have we really choked or were our problems related to subpar offensive personell. To choke means you should have the ability to accomplish the goal, or else how can you choke? You may not agree with who we signed but can you predict w/ certainty he will suk? If so buy the team cause you shouyld be a millionaire, billionaire that is.

I understand being frustrated, and I also understand having a "wait and see" attitude. Pessimism is not a wait and see attitude it is a belief in failure. I do not feel the need to justify my belief that we have a chance. Nor does anyone have to justify a thing to me. Just respect each others opinion and quit passing off your opinions as fact. Doing that belittles my right to my opinion. I never tried to get anybody to change their mind and agree with me, just to stop saying their belief is absolute and we wont know who is right until it is long over with.

Denny said:
I have noticed recently that there are policeman on this board that will attack with fury anyone who has a negative outlook about the Dolphins, Wanny, Fiedler and so on. You could almost predict the handles that will be burning up there keyboards to defend Wanny or the most recent Dolphin move. For those people, I ask you this one question. What has Wanny and the Dolphins done since taking over for JJ to validate optimism and protection?

Here's my two cents worth...

You have two choices..

A) You can piss and moan about everything the Dolphin Front Office does and keep the blinders on and wonder what MIGHT have been..

or

B) You can just accept what the front office does, even if you don't particularly like a move, and wonder what COULD be..

I've been a Dolphin fan for 20 years now, and trust me there are PLENTY of things that the front office heads have done in that time that have not only disgusted me, but outright pissed me off..

I hated how Jimmy Johnson alienated Marino at every given opportunity by not only trying to make the Dolphins a running team (with guys who wouldn't make most team's practice squads) to discussing the possibility of cutting him at the end of his career..

I really wasn't crazy about Shula going spend crazy on a TE (Eric Green) who was documented as being lazy and selfish..

I wasn't too fond of the Ricky Williams trade, and felt Fred Taylor would be a better option.. (Even I miss the boat once in a while)

And recently, I felt that the team rushed judgement on Collier AND Forrester, made a bad personnell call with McIntosh and overpaid for an unproven QB that may turn out to be the next Delholme, but just as soon could turn out to be the next Scott Mitchell..

However, as much as I may not agree with the moves made, the fact is that it serves NO purpose to piss and moan about the moves after the fact, and it's a hell of a lot easier to just roll with the punches, take the good with the bad and try to look at the bright side of every situation.

Popular and prevailing opinion on here is anytime the F.O makes a move that some may not agree with, its the end of the world and the Dolphins are headed down the toilet in a hurry. When anyone TRIES to defend the team and look positively about the moves, they're labled "homers" or accused of having their head up the Front Office's ***.

My point of this rant is that no one is going to agree with EVERY move the front office does.. To say we would is a bold joke.. However, the reason I look positively at the risks and questionable moves is because you never know what might become of it.

Since everyone likes to bring up New England as the building block, let me bring up a few valid points.

1.) Their coach, now considered a mastermind by some, had a miserable run as Browns head coach, and often looked out of place and lost on the sidelines during his time there.

2.) Their starting QB, a guy with TWO Super Bowl rings in a three year period, was once dangerously close to losing his job to a guy who now plays in the CFL (Michael Bishop). He was a sixth round draft choice, a guy who in college never exactly set the world on fire himself, and had people clamoring for his backup to come in. When he got his first start, it was only because Drew Bledsoe was injured to the point of no return, and the team had little to no other choice.

3.) In this post-season, they've lost one of their offensive line anchors (Woody) and had an on-going feud with their defensive star (Law). This comes AFTER they unceremoniously cut another of their defensive standouts (Melloy) and watched him sign on with the divisional rival Bills.

So, as you see, even the Super Bowl champs have issues to deal with.. Just give it time and for Christ Sake, have some patience.. Just because Feely has a lousy mini camp in May (four months away from games that matter) doesn't mean he's going to be the next big flop..

Just because Boston is reportedly having issues with the coaching staff in May doesn't mean he's going to be a disruptive force all damn season..

And just because our O-Line may not have standouts Woody and John Tait on board doesn't mean it's going to be any worse than last year's debacle and Ricky's career is going to prematurely end before long.

To sum it all up, if I would react about the small things as some do, I'd be locked in a padded room long ago.. And this is from a guy whose blood runs aqua and orange.

Later and GO PHINS!

Jason

MDFINFAN said:
Good Post Muck..that's about how I had it. I actually think Yates is better prepared to play RG than any other player, except maybe Carey. Yates was outstanding last year as a undrafted rookie and if Whitney's improve, I can only think Yates got even better.

Thanks.

And while the next sentence may or may not be true, I still have thought about it for awhile. Might it be possible that Billy Yates isn't necessarily "better" than Taylor Whitley, but was simply more NFL-ready as a rookie?? Obviously, he was better equipt to play right away. But what does Yates' upside look like?? How good can he be??

The reason I consider this is because while he was obviously better last year and received crucial playing time, he still isn't being considered at RG (that I know of). And maybe that's due to what I theorized above.

I just wonder about this guy and what's the deal with him. He's an interesting player. And he's gained another 5 pounds from last year (now 308).

PhinstiGator said:
Courage = optimism
Fear of failure = pessimism

It's rather simplistic for me. My attitude should reflect the attitude that I want the Dolphin players to have. I don't want them to get on the field not believing that they can beat ANY team they face. I want them to be confident with the expectancy of having success. If you expect to fail...you will. It would be hypocrisy for me to expect the players on the team to have a winning attitude if I have a losing mentality.

This team in it's current form has never played a down of football. The team is as good as it's record says it is. Last years record is done. Pessimism ALWAYS looks backward and dwells on failure. The failure rolodex is daily reading for the pessimist.

Optimism is the hopeful expectation that success is at hand for the taking. The main focus at hand must be to return that trophy back to Miami. If we focus on the waves of the storm...we will sink. Keep your eye on the prize. If we come up short...it must not be because of lack of heart.

Should I expect to fail because of what happened last year, the year before, or 10 years ago? NEVER! Is success a guarantee? NEVER! One game at a time...we play to win...and anything can happen.

The easiest thing to be is negative. That's why so many ppl are so negative.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom