What's Your Take On Rutgers? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's Your Take On Rutgers?

Nick is God said:
I don't need a stinkin' schedule to tell if a team is legit or not, watching them play usually works for me.

When it's based on rankings and there isn't a playoff system you need to base it on quality of opponents. I never said RU, UL or WVU weren't good teams but it's clear they aren't great teams and great teams should play for the Nat'l title not good ones who benefit from playing nobodies.

that's the problem. the people who CONSTANTLY break down the schedule to a ridiculous degree don't actually watch the teams play.

So you ahve watched all of RU, UL and WVU's games? I have probably watched as much, if not more of those teams games.

UF Fin Kat said:
nope, that's why college football is so great. every game matters. :wink:

Yeah it's great when there arre maybe 4 or 5 big games a year and when teams play 1-2 big games. It's much better than having a playoff where you can determine a true Champion:shakeno: I always look forwad to when ohio State plays indiana or Minnesota:lol:

nyjunc said:
When it's based on rankings and there isn't a playoff system you need to base it on quality of opponents. I never said RU, UL or WVU weren't good teams but it's clear they aren't great teams and great teams should play for the Nat'l title not good ones who benefit from playing nobodies.

How on earth is it clear they are all not great teams??

And your the one who is basically basing your whole arguement on teams schedule, not us, were just stating the obvious.

Nick is God said:
I don't need a stinkin' schedule to tell if a team is legit or not, watching them play usually works for me.

Well that kind of comes back to who the team is playing to really guage how good a team is dosen't it?

Look, I don't think the college football fans that doubt the Big East are doing it to try and be dicks about this.

Teams are ultimately guaged on who they've played and beaten. Bottom line is that we haven't seen any Big East teams play any top teams. Louisville did play Miami but unfortunately this is a year where that just can't be considered a win against a top program. If even one team had played a top team and won then you'd see college football fans without allegiances to Big East football possibly coming around.

Until that happens you'll see a lot of college football fans doubting whether Louisville, WV and Rutgers could hang with a Florida, USC, OSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, etc.

Trekbiz said:
Well that kind of comes back to who the team is playing to really guage how good a team is dosen't it?

Look, I don't think the college football fans that doubt the Big East are doing it to try and be dicks about this.

Teams are ultimately guaged on who they've played and beaten. Bottom line is that we haven't seen any Big East teams play any top teams. Louisville did play Miami but unfortunately this is a year where that just can't be considered a win against a top program. If even one team had played a top team and won then you'd see college football fans without allegiances to Big East football possibly coming around.

Until that happens you'll see a lot of college football fans doubting whether Louisville, WV and Rutgers could hang with a Florida, USC, OSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, etc.

Pretty true and hopefully opportunities like that present themselves in BCS bowls. It would be amazing to see RU in the NC but I wouldn't be opposed to something like the Sugar Bowl against ND. That would be a great opportunity to prove themselves. WVU represented last year in the BCS and now it's time for RU.

Rutgers was impressive in their comeback victory against Louisville, they still have a tough game against West Virgina left. That being said, if they do win their remaining games...they deserve a shot at the championship....but they will not beat Ohio State or Michigan for the National Championship. In my opinion....the national championship is being played this Saturday in Columbus.

Trekbiz said:

Rutgers came back from three touchdowns down and beat the #3 team in the country, or they were #3 in everybody's minds until a team like Rutgers beat them. Now it seems Louisville is garbage on these boards, how exactly is that?

Trekbiz said:

I haven't said anyone has been a dick, but believe me, there is alot of prejudice being played around here with the Big East, not everybody mind you, but it's here and more than you think.

Trekbiz said:

You see, this makes no sense man, what does the fact other Big East teams have not beaten or played top teams got to do with if Rutgers is a title contender or not?

Honestly, THIS type of thinking is what is killing the championships title game for college football, it's becoming a joke because of it.

Trekbiz said:

And you don't find this very wrong and sad? I know I do.

Nick is God said:
How on earth is it clear they are all not great teams??

And your the one who is basically basing your whole arguement on teams schedule, not us, were just stating the obvious.

By watching them. Rutgers played close games against an awful UNC team and needed a blown call to beat them and they barely beat a mediocre USF team. Louisville struggled mightily at a bad SU team and struggled against a mediocre Cincy team, WVU struggled against SU but pulled away then lost fairly easily against the only quality team they played all year.

The better question is what do you think makes them great teams? when have they proven greatness?

nyjunc said:
By watching them. Rutgers played close games against an awful UNC team and needed a blown call to beat them and they barely beat a mediocre USF team. Louisville struggled mightily at a bad SU team and struggled against a mediocre Cincy team, WVU struggled against SU but pulled away then lost fairly easily against the only quality team they played all year.

The better question is what do you think makes them great teams? when have they proven greatness?

Ohio St. barely beat an awful Illinois team 17-10, a team Rutgers crushed 33-0, Michigan barely beat Ball State 34-26, Florida barely beat Vanderbilt 25-19, do you want me to go on and continue to show how your little schedule game you like to play is totally off base? And these are only the teams in front of Rutgers in the polls.

As far as which Big East team is great we still have to see how this all plays out, if Rutgers loses any of the next two games we can eliminate them, but if they run the table or even WV does then you really have to say they are great teams, difference here is you already stated with this comment:

but it's clear they aren't great teams

That in your opinion there is basically no chance from any of the two teams to be considered a great team which is with all due respect is totally ridiculous because if Rutgers does go 12-0 and wins a BCS game, how on earth are you going to be able stand by this comment?

Nick is God said:
Ohio St. barely beat an awful Illinois team 17-10, a team Rutgers crushed 33-0, Michigan barely beat Ball State 34-26, Florida barely beat Vanderbilt 25-19, do you want me to go on and continue to show how your little schedule game you like to play is totally off base? And these are only the teams in front of Rutgers in the polls.

That's fine, every team plays some close games but those teams beat some damn good tams which we can't say about he top 3 of the BE. OSU blew out everyone until Illinois, outside of UT they have played a very soft sched just like Mich outside of ND b/c the Big 10 stinks as well. I don't think Mich is a great team, I do think OSU is a great teamb/c of the ease they have beaten teams.

nyjunc said:
That's fine, every team plays some close games but those teams beat some damn good tams which we can't say about he top 3 of the BE. OSU blew out everyone until Illinois, outside of UT they have played a very soft sched just like Mich outside of ND b/c the Big 10 stinks as well. I don't think Mich is a great team, I do think OSU is a great teamb/c of the ease they have beaten teams.

You really gotta get past this schedule thing man, it's not the only way we should judge teams and because the moronic BCS system relies heavily on the schedule doesn't mean you have to.

But I'm still curious if Rutgers goes 12-0 and beats say ND in the Sugar Bowl how they can't be considered a great team in your opinion?

Nick is God said:
You really gotta get past this schedule thing man, it's not the only way we should judge teams and because the moronic BCS system relies heavily on the schedule doesn't mean you have to.

But I'm still curious if Rutgers goes 12-0 and beats say ND in the Sugar Bowl how they can't be considered a great team in your opinion?

I don't think ND is a great team, I think this is a very down year for CFB but at last some scholls have played dificult scheds and beaten good teams.

In your opinion Boise State must be a great team then? they are unbeaten, who cares that they have beaten creampuffs. Is that how you feel?

nyjunc said:
In your opinion Boise State must be a great team then? they are unbeaten, who cares that they have beaten creampuffs. Is that how you feel?

If they run the table and win a major bowl game? Yes.

Are you ever going to answer the Rutgers question?

Nick is God said:
If they run the table and win a major bowl game? Yes.

Are you ever going to answer the Rutgers question?

I have answere every question but you are not answering my questions.

I'll give in, Ii'll consider RU a great team if they run the table and win a BCS game. I think if they run the table meaning they'll beat WVU at WVU then they should play for the title. I don't think UL and WVU are great but those are 2 quality wins, something alot of tams cannot say they have w/o a loss.

nyjunc said:
I have answere every question but you are not answering my questions.

Whoa, what questions have I not answered?

nyjunc said:
I'll give in, Ii'll consider RU a great team if they run the table and win a BCS game. I think if they run the table meaning they'll beat WVU at WVU then they should play for the title. I don't think UL and WVU are great but those are 2 quality wins, something alot of tams cannot say they have w/o a loss.

Fair enough.

And to be honest I have NO problem with anyone suggesting that Rutgers shouldn't be in the title game, I just have a problem when people say if Rutgers runs the table they still shouldn't be considered a title contender.

My main problem with the BCS is not that the wrong teams are getting a shot but that maybe the right teams are being denied one and a easy fix - or better fix - is something I suggested before in having four teams play for the title like the way they do it for the Final Four in basketball.

Why they won't do this is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom