Who Do You Pound the Table For? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Do You Pound the Table For?

You can never have enough pass rushers...

I know most boards as of now have him listed as a round 2 guy, and because of the depth at edge he may very well be. However, I'm beating the table for Jermaine Johnson II. I think after the combine and pro days he makes it into round one. He absolutely took over games at times this year. Pair him up with Phillips and Miami's pass rush will be scary. At FSU he played with his hand in the dirt and standing, at UGA he played some LB as well and looked fine dropping into coverage. He also switched sides for both with no issues or let down.

Burks, Lloyd , Linderbaum, are the only players in the first round that I’m comfortable with at this point. Burks is the only one I’m pounding the table for. I can’t say any of the tackles projected to drop do much for me.

Excellent post as always SF. It’s never to early to talk about the draft.

As always it obviously depends on where our pick falls but it’s exciting as always.

If you recall last year... I posted over and over again about wanting Jaelan Phillips and Jevon Holland as I had them rated #1 at their respective positions. So far... so good. I was definitely “pounding the table” for those 2 guys and said so on numerous occasions. I also recall you and I specifically talking about Jevon Holland as you loved him as much as I did.

I love draft time bc I’m a tape guy. The combine and measurements and all that count for sure but I’ll be a tape guy until the day I die. A workout in shorts and tank tops account for very little of my draft projections bc like I said I’m a “show me the tape” kind of guy. With all that being said... here’s a few guys that I love love love their tape. Although it’s early and things will shift and change... here’s where I’m at as of today.

Kayvon Thibodeaux (EDGE) Oregon- To me the best player in the class. Speed power bend setting the edge. The guy is the total package. Though more than likely we won’t have a chance to get him... he’s special.

George Karlaftis (EDGE) Purdue- I actually prefer Karlaftis over Aidan Hutchinson. Hutchinson has a probable 1st round EDGE playing across from him in David OJabo. As well as fringe 1st rounder Daxton Hill at Safety. My point... Hutchinson has a ton of talent playing around him that I believe helps him. Karlaftis on the other hand has been a 1 man show for the Purdue defense. Offenses scheme against him bc he’s really been Purdue’s only threat on defense and the dude has continued to produce. Dude is strong as an ox and I saw numerous times on his tape where he just drives OTs backwards into QBs. I see a lot of JJ Watt in his prime in Karlaftis.

David Bell (WR) Purdue- I think the best WR in this class is a tossup between Bell and Treylon Burks out of Arkansas. Against Iowa and Michigan St... Bell was completely unstoppable. He has more impressive tape than just those 2 games but obviously they stick out bc of his production. He won’t test out of this world in workouts but he’s got football speed a plenty. A bigger kid around 6’2 he just knows how to go up and get the ball. Very strong for a WR and sort of bully’s DBs with his strength. The guy is just a playmaker.

Treylon Burks (WR) Arkansas- Basically the same as I Wrote about David Bell except Burks is more agile and faster. Also a big kid for a WR with a thick body type. I see some DK Metcalf here but like Bell the kid is just a playmaker.

Tyler Linderbaum (C) Iowa- The reports of him maybe being the best Center to come out in over a decade may be a little much but the kid is exactly what you’d expect out of a Big-10 OL. Naturally country boy strong. Elite agility for a guy his size and can pull with the best of them. Considering OL is a need for us... I’d expect Linderbaum to be in heavy consideration if he were to somehow make it to our pick.

Ahmad Gardner (CB) Cincinnati- This is one of the more unbelievable stats I’ve ever seen. This kid has basically been a 3 year starter and yet he’s never surrendered a TD pass. That is flat out unbelievable especially in today’s college football with the HUNH offenses. A really big kid for a CB at 6’3 allows him to matchup with bigger WRs and stay on their hip. This kid also is a pure football player as he absolutely loves the game. He doesn’t have elite quickness but his body size and recovery ability allow him room for error. I think he’s better than Derek Stingley who will probably be the first CB off the board but IMO I think Gardner and Andrew Booth (Clemson) are both better players.

Daniel Faalele (OT) Minnesota- An absolute mountain of a man at about 6’8 360. The size alone is enticing but after seeing his tape I like him even more. A devastating road grader in run blocking. He just punishes DEs and DTs. Now he’ll need some coaching as he’s still raw. With how big he is he struggled some with pure speed rushers but some refined coaching and technique will help that. He also needs to find a little bit more of a mean streak but the talent and upside is undeniable.

Marcus Jones (CB) Houston- Lightning in a bottle is the best way to describe Jones. A smaller guy at about 5’9 but has speed to burn. Flips his hips effortlessly and can recover at will. He’s probably a day 2 pick bc of his smaller stature but has that ****y attitude you like to see with CBs. I think he’s more than likely a nickel CB in the pros. Also with Jones you get college footballs most lethal kick and punt returner. He dazzles in the return game.

Wan’Dale Robinson (WR) Kentucky- Was electric at Nebraska before deciding to return home to Kentucky this year. Didn’t have quite the same numbers as he did at Nebraska but is electric with the ball in his hands. I think Nebraska actually used him better than Kentucky did and he split time between Tailback and WR at Nebraska but was almost exclusively a WR at Kentucky. Another guy with speed to burn but has the agility and quickness to match. This is exactly the type of guy you throw those bubbles and flares and he can take it 60 yards to the house.

Brandon Joseph (Safety) Northwestern- An extremely intelligent and cerebral DB. Joseph has been a 3 year starter and continuously produced. Also probably a day 2 pick. Doesn’t really do any one thing spectacularly but does everything well. Incredibly smart player who knows how to read his keys and breaks on the ball with the best of them. Not a real high ceiling as he’s pretty close to a finished product but he’s ready to step onto a NFL field and play today. He’ll play right away for whoever selects him.

Darian Kinnard (OT) Kentucky- Played OT at Kentucky but as reports have stated he’s probably better suited to OG in the pros. A huge guy at 6’5 345. 3 year starter in the SEC for Kentucky. Road grading run blocking is his specialty. Exact opposite of Faalele as he’s got no problem with a mean streak and he shows it repeatedly on tape. Plays to the whistle constantly. Will need some coaching in pass pro but that shouldn’t be a problem in time. Surprisingly agile for a guy his size. Once he locks on to his man it’s game over for the defender. Really really love his style.

These 11 guys are who I like a lot this early in the process but as always I’m sure more will come on my radar as we go through the draft process. Once again SF great thread!
Enjoyed our draft conversations last year. Agree with you on tape over those workout warrior types.

Unfortunately, or fortunately from a financial standpoint, I haven't had much time this year to delve into prospects. But I'll take a look at these guys you've listed.

Faalele is one I have seen and do like. Imagine running behind him and Hunt in short-yardage. He is very quick at that weight and just engulfs people. If teams think he can stick at RT, I could see Faalele in round 1. I think teams will want him to drop weight.

Love Burks and wide receiver is definitely a need with all the constant injuries there. In Miami's current offense, I think Burks is a great fit.

You know Flores loves corners. Doubt Miami goes that way early, but wouldn't surprise me in the third round.

Karlaftis sounds like a beast. I still believe Miami could use another pass rusher, especially if they don't sign Ogbah.

As an aside, I have ran some simulations for the first two rounds on the PFF and PFN simulators. I wanted primarily to see where the offensive linemen, receivers and running backs fall. Neal, Cross and Linderbaum are almost always gone before pick 22. Neal usually top 5.

Miami would likely have to trade up if any of those three are targets.

Still kind of early, but wonder if there's anyone you'd pound the table for in this draft? Or who you think Flores would pound the table for?

Last year, as soon as I got a look at Holland I just knew he was a Flores type. It's nice to sometimes be right. It's pretty rare actually when it comes to Miami and the draft.

This year, I see two so far. The linebacker Dean from Georgia and Burks, the wide receiver, of Arkansas.

Other than being a little small, Dean is that missile at MLB that could nearly complete the D. I still long for more pass rushers.

Burks looks like the perfect fit for the style of offense the Dolphins are currently playing. A physical, tackle breaking player opposite of Waddle.
Definitely 2 of my favourite picks there SF but potentially if the Centre Linderbaum is there I may go for him.

R

Right. Ideally, Miami can upgrade two offensive line positions in free agency. One is probably more realistic.
I think we have to aim for 2 I don’t think we’ve got much choice. If not Linderbaum we shouldn’t be looking at any other linemen in draft IMO our pick will be around 16-18 I think.

I think we have to aim for 2 I don’t think we’ve got much choice. If not Linderbaum we shouldn’t be looking at any other linemen in draft IMO our pick will be around 16-18 I think.
If Miami can solve it in free agency, then I think receiver is the likely first round target. Miami has Waddle and that's really it.

Although, we always have to remember that Flores is a defense first coach and there could be better defensive than offensive options...Lloyd, Dean, Johnson at DE/LB.

If Miami can solve it in free agency, then I think receiver is the likely first round target. Miami has Waddle and that's really it.

Although, we always have to remember that Flores is a defense first coach and there could be better defensive than offensive options...Lloyd, Dean, Johnson at DE/LB.
The first 2 fo sho

I’d take both Lloyd or dean but do you know what FA is looking like for MLBs next season?

I just read a scouting report on Lloyd that praised him for his instincts and communication on defense. It talks about a play where Lloyd literally moves a DE inside prior to the snap and then flies to the ball to make the run stop. That sounds like someone Flores would have a hard time passing up. I've seen Lloyd mocked mostly late 1st, early 2nd.

Question...between Dean and Lloyd who do you all prefer? I know Lloyd's a little bigger.

Back
Top Bottom