Who here is crossing your fingers every time you see fins news hoping ricky isnt tra. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who here is crossing your fingers every time you see fins news hoping ricky isnt tra.

BLITZKRIEG said:
And the Chiefs didn't draft L. Johnson to sit behind P. Holmes forever either. But it did take LJ a few years to adjust, and get to where he is today. Same difference with Ronnie / Ricky IMO. Ronnie's day will come, but it's too soon to force him into the lone back role...

People need to starting using their melon, and think. Ricky / Ronnie could lead us to the promise land. The hell with these trades!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!!

best point ive heard in a while!!!

you figure if we hold onto to ricky then that just adds onto the carreer life of ronnie. Ronnies used to sharing the backfield and look what happened to cady over in tampa, he went down for a good couple of weeks in his first year. Maybe because he took most of the load at auburn. Maybe not.

FakeSpike13 said:
heh... threads like these make me laugh. Saban brought Ricky back for the sole purpose most likely of inflating his value and trading for the best offer possible. And most of us agreed with this plan this time last year. Now that the plan seems to be going along perfectly, everyone is like "no ricky is worth more than a 2nd rder." Give me a break. Saban didn't draft Ronnie to be a part time back for the first 3-4 years of his career with someone who is one year removed from quitting on football, his team, and quite frankly civilized life. Get him out of here already please!

Agree.

I just hope we get the most out of him. Trading him now makes it hard to determine if we got the most for him.:eek: :eek:

Dude will be traded. We have a second overall pick that needs to play.

rickys overall value to this team cant be beat? you kidding me?

hes practically a backup... hes expendable... yes hes a great talent, yes he can run well, yes what if someone gets hurt and we need him, blah blah... but the fact is we dont need him, hes not our main running threat for next year or the future... when your talking of value, you can have either a 2nd round pick or a player giving us 100 carries next season that could be handled by our other RB stud, obviously the choice is the 2nd round pick...

i mean we traded surtain for a 2nd (yes i know there was money also behind that)... but the fact is we got rid of a shut down top echelon starting corner for a 2nd... getting rid of a backup regardless of who it is or what position it is for a 2nd round pick is definately value...

burger13 said:
Why is it the common opinion that everyone who is in favor of trading Ricky for a high pick is anti-Ricky.....still angry over the retirement fiasco???

Why can't it simply be that they might see the value of drafting a 22-24 year old player with potential to help the team for 10+ years vs. the value of a 29 yr old RB who has already stated that he didn't plan on staying around too long. Add to that that Ricky plays that same position as Ronnie Brown...our 2nd overall pick, while we could use the pick to select a player to fill a position of far greater need.

I think it is the people who think we need to keep Ricky who aren't thinking of the future.
:bravo:

BLITZKRIEG is easily the king of distortions of this thread... there is ABSOLUTELY no way you can equate expectations of a guy drafted #2 overall with some1 in the late 20s, especially with the then stud Priest in front of him... they weren't equal in terms of talent, signing bonus, or draft slot... LJ is not a comparable instance. And you simply refuse to acknowledge the fact that what ricky is a very-good sub, change-of-pace back, or whatever you want to label him as... it's wasting resources if we can deal him right now at max value for a pick that can potentially turn into a starfor the next 4-5 years.

BLITZKRIEG said:
I haven't heard Saban say that. Until I do, I don't believe it...

Personally, I think Saban wanted Ricky back because he knows how great he is, and how valuable / important he is to the Phinz success....

I think most of us agreed, but at the time were assuming that Ronnie would be ready to step in...alone. I don't think he is, and he needs another year of sharing carries w/ Ricky before we can honestly know for sure....

Ricky is worth more than that, and everyone knows it. Hell, didn't the Titans get RB T. Henry for a 2nd round pick last year?? Offering a 2nd for Ricky is an insult my friend....

And the Chiefs didn't draft L. Johnson to sit behind P. Holmes forever either. But it did take LJ a few years to adjust, and get to where he is today. Same difference with Ronnie / Ricky IMO. Ronnie's day will come, but it's too soon to force him into the lone back role...

People need to starting using their melon, and think. Ricky / Ronnie could lead us to the promise land. The hell with these trades!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Ronnie is not LJ, bad example, the problems with LJ's game in the early part of his career are not shared by Ronnie. Also, where did the Holmes/Johnson combo lead KC?

Ronnie proved without a doubt last year that he is a special back.

Yes, Ricky is still a very good back, but when all things are considered, trading him for good value is the right move.

Ricky is very different, what he says today could mean nothing tommorow, haven't you all seen enough of that here in Miami to understand that?

He had no value until Saban brought him back, Ricky will not play for the minimum forever, at some point he will demand that the 8 million be dropped and he get a new contract, then all bets are off as to what Ricky does next.

No, the smart thing to do is sell volatile stock when it is high.

It makes me sick when people say we shouldnt trade him for a first. Would you honestly GIVE a first to get ricky if he was playing somehwere else? Id trade him for a 2nd very quickly. Did Ricky buy people on this board houses?

Reasons he needs to be traded if someone offers a first or second rounder!

1. We have a second overall pick that needs more playing time

2. He can be gone for a year if he takes 1 puff. I know his personality or his work ethic shows that he will not do this but the possibility is still there

3. We still have wholes on this team that need to be filled and could be filled with a first or a second rounder. Also with Saban being a great talent evaluator and good in the draft we can find an impact player with that pick we get for Ricky!

4. Even though Ricky is an impact player for us and very valuable to the team he still only has a few years left

5. His value is as high as it will be considering the hype, his talent and his age because soon his age will be a factor in trading negotiations if we try and trade him next season

His trade value may never be higher than it is right now a 2nd or 3rd rounder at best. Take it and run before he flakes out a year from now and decides to run off again. He is one "toke" away from being gone for a year anyways. Saban is no fool, he will trade him if he gets a good offer.

The Ricky love affair on this board makes me laugh. These are most of the same people who were burning jerseys etc... This guy is a good football player who happens not be a very stable person. Why would we want him for the long term when he is almost 30 and again, couls flake out anytime?

FakeSpike13 said:
BLITZKRIEG is easily the king of distortions of this thread...

Thanks Dad....

there is ABSOLUTELY no way you can equate expectations of a guy drafted #2 overall with some1 in the late 20s, especially with the then stud Priest in front of him... they weren't equal in terms of talent, signing bonus, or draft slot... LJ is not a comparable instance.

Who cares where they were drafted, what their signing bonuses were?? We're talking about two young RB's, who while adapting to the NFL, had superior RB's sharing carries with them. We're talking about progress here, and Ronnie today, is right around where LJ was when Holmes was the featured RB in KC. Simply put, Ronnie isn't ready to take over the full load....

And you simply refuse to acknowledge the fact that what ricky is a very-good sub, change-of-pace back, or whatever you want to label him as...

Talk about clueless...Ricky is an ALL-PRO RB. Calling him a "very-good sub" / "change of pace back" is an insult. He's much much more than that....

it's wasting resources if we can deal him right now at max value for a pick that can potentially turn into a starfor the next 4-5 years.

He wasn't even his full self this year, and yet he still managed to kick some *** when we needed him. Imagine how he'll look after a full off-season of getting prepared. He'll be back to his old ways, and running over people. If that's a wasted resource, I need a brain transplant....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

BlueFin said:
Yes, Ricky is still a very good back, but when all things are considered, trading him for good value is the right move.

Ricky is very different, what he says today could mean nothing tommorow, haven't you all seen enough of that here in Miami to understand that?

He had no value until Saban brought him back, Ricky will not play for the minimum forever, at some point he will demand that the 8 million be dropped and he get a new contract, then all bets are off as to what Ricky does next.

No, the smart thing to do is sell volatile stock when it is high.

Exactly!

I would like to also point out that had Ricky NOT act like a fool and retired, Miami wouldn't have Ronnie here. We used the #2 pick in the draft and he gets paid a ton of money. As soon as Nick made the decision to select Ronnie, it meant that Ricky's days as being the bonafide #1 back in Miami were over!! Our future rests with Ronnie.
Ricky is a very good and special back, but his value in a trade is more valuable to Miami than keeping him due to other positions which we need to improve upon.

plc001 said:
I'd trade him in a heartbeat, without hesitation or looking back, for anything even close to a 1st.

Exactly, the guy is 29 years old! Backs in this league have ZERO value once they hit 30.

Trade him now and get as close to a first round pick as you can, or leverage him for as many first day picks as you can. Either way, put your money behind Saban's ability to draft talent.

If SABAN can get a bunch of picks for Ricky then this franchise wins. I would trade Ricky for a mid round 3 and 4 pick in a heart beat. That would give us 6 picks from the first 128 players in the draft. SIX!! You think Mueller and SABAN could find some talent with SIX PICKS from the best 128 players?

There's our QB of the future, our LT and our FS. A big bulky (3-4 type) LB, a new CB, and a speed WR.

And we'd STILL have the sixth round (we used our fifth already on Manuel Wright) and seventh round picks to try and find a gem. Then all of the undrafted free agents?

We'd upgrade this squad with a bunch of youth and talent. Yeah, we'd still have Gus but we'd be stronger in our core. Trade Ricky and load up on picks.

Put your faith behind our talent evaluators.

I sure do.

FakeSpike13 said:
heh... threads like these make me laugh. Saban brought Ricky back for the sole purpose most likely of inflating his value and trading for the best offer possible. And most of us agreed with this plan this time last year. Now that the plan seems to be going along perfectly, everyone is like "no ricky is worth more than a 2nd rder." Give me a break. Saban didn't draft Ronnie to be a part time back for the first 3-4 years of his career with someone who is one year removed from quitting on football, his team, and quite frankly civilized life. Get him out of here already please!

:yeahthat:

Broncos | Have not talked to Dolphins about Williams
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:22:09 -0800
Updating ongoing reports, Adam Schefter, of the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl">NFL Network, reports while the Denver Broncos have had internal conversations about trying to trade for Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams, the Broncos have not talked with the Dolphins about Williams' availability as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom