Who will be the steal of the draft? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who will be the steal of the draft?

Gooden had nearly the exact same pick return for touchdown uncer nearly the exact same circumstances during the week of practice, too.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Among the real linebackers though, Sio Moore continues to hold my attention.

Which is why I also included him in this little featurette for an upcoming Draft Winds.

[video=youtube;ul91__cokpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul91__cokpw[/video]

I completely agree with you on Carradine. He's the #1 DE on my board.

It's usually a good bet to find some RB that has the skills you're looking for at that position, but will be available late because he runs a 4.6 in the 40-yard dash. The Arian Foster/Alfred Morris type back...

As I've mentioned before, I'd put Lonnie Pryor as one of my leading candidates to be the type of back I'm referrencing. I think some team is going to convert him to tailback and appear to be a genius.

I believe he can be the kind of back Raymont Harris was for the Bears back in the 1990's when he was healthy. Harris was a guy that the Bears converted to tailback because he was essentially a tailback playing fullback. I remember watching Harris run for 230+ yards against BYU in the '93 Holiday Bowl... which is still an Ohio St. record for rushing yards in a bowl game.

Zac Stacy, Lonnie Pryor, Michael Ford, Latavius Murray, D.J. Harper, Rex Burkhead are some of the value picks at RB in this draft in my opinion.

Awesome athlete, like what little I've seen of him. My rudimentary system while watching the Senior Bowl practices was to put check marks next to a prospects name whenever I saw something positive during a rep. At the end, Washington had by far the most check marks out of any prospect I had seen during the practices. I looked around after that for information on him, didn't see a whole lot, and just kind of thought I was crazy. What's his range of where he could go as of now?

He did next to nothing at Georgia although he was a starter. Watching how they played him, it's because they played him in such a multiple role with so many responsibilities. He couldn't play fast.

He needs to be a defensive end. I don't like that they invited him to the Combine as a linebacker. He's the spitting image of Mark Anderson.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

As I've mentioned before, I'd put Lonnie Pryor as one of my leading candidates to be the type of back I'm referrencing. I think some team is going to convert him to tailback and appear to be a genius.

I believe he can be the kind of back Raymont Harris was for the Bears back in the 1990's when he was healthy. Harris was a guy that the Bears converted to tailback because he was essentially a tailback playing fullback. I remember watching Harris run for 230+ yards against BYU in the '93 Holiday Bowl... which is still an Ohio St. record for rushing yards in a bowl game.

Zac Stacy, Lonnie Pryor, Michael Ford, Latavius Murray, D.J. Harper, Rex Burkhead are some of the value picks at RB in this draft in my opinion.

Cooled on Dennis Johnson?

Washington just ran an unofficial 4.50.

I'm really curious to see what teams make of him. He looks like a better football player - and athlete - to me than Ansah. Don't know how much his lack of production - speaking of sacks, etc - will make teams eh-ish about him. But he looks like a 1st Round player. From the Senior Bowl to this point, he's a 1st Round player all day. Of course, that's where people get in trouble.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

He did next to nothing at Georgia although he was a starter. Watching how they played him, it's because they played him in such a multiple role with so many responsibilities. He couldn't play fast.

He needs to be a defensive end. I don't like that they invited him to the Combine as a linebacker. He's the spitting image of Mark Anderson.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

That makes a lot of sense to me - for why his production doesn't look better.

Not so much cooled on Dennis Johnson, I still think he's undervalued by the league. I certainly felt like he should've been at the combine, particularly over a handful of these 5'6"-5'7", 190 pound "scatbacks" running 4.8's that they invited. Just a complete waste of invitations here. Johnson deserved to be there.

I have his value similar to that of D.J. Harper, although Harper's age dings him a little in my book.

Zac Stacy is the kid I really like as a value pick at the position.

Right now Marquess Wilson looks like one of the most underrated players in the Draft. To hear the media tell it, he'll get all the way into the 6th or 7th round. He's WAY better than that. He belongs in the top group of wide receivers, more so than a few guys that are considered in that group.

I know you've been a big fan of his since the beginning of the year but the guy quit on his team & not in the traditional sense of not playing hard but actually quit. Not that I'm a fan of Mike Leach but he's a puss compared the the coaches & the locker rooms of the NFL. He's demonstrated that he doesn't have the pyschological make-up to last in the league & then lied about abuse by the Washington St staff. To me that's a bigger red flag than a drug user. He's just someone you can't trust & would become that weasel in the locker room going to the media behind the team's back. That's why he's a 5th-7th rounder.

I know you've been a big fan of his since the beginning of the year but the guy quit on his team & not in the traditional sense of not playing hard but actually quit. Not that I'm a fan of Mike Leach but he's a puss compared the the coaches & the locker rooms of the NFL. He's demonstrated that he doesn't have the pyschological make-up to last in the league & then lied about abuse by the Washington St staff. To me that's a bigger red flag than a drug user. He's just someone you can't trust & would become that weasel in the locker room going to the media behind the team's back. That's why he's a 5th-7th rounder.

I think you're overstating things quite a bit.

For one thing I would rather have a player that actually quit the team literally because of unreconcileable differences between himself and the coaching staff, than a guy that quit metaphorically like you said at the beginning.

For another, Mike Williams of Syracuse quit on Doug Marrone and his staff too. You know what he's done since he joined the NFL? How about catch 192 balls for 2728 yards and 23 touchdowns in 3 years. Hasn't been a problem in the locker room. In fact this year the Bucs were coached by a coach that most consider to be among the most strict and overbearing taskmasters in the entire NFL. Mike Williams has been fine. Caught for 1000 yards and 9 TDs, and is now in talks for a contract extension.

So you might want to revise your claims on what Marquess Wilson has or hasn't shown.

As for the allegations of abuse against the staff, I think you should really read up on the whole thing before you (poorly) recollect what was actually said, what was actually alleged, and what actually happened. Because you don't have your facts straight.

Oh hai, other Cornelius! Thanks for showing everyone a little early why I created this video for an upcoming Draft Winds featurette on you.

[video=youtube;HFqf-avlERs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFqf-avlERs[/video]

Just broke off a 4.53 in the 40 yard dash at 6'4" and 265 lbs, after doing 36 bench reps.

Thanks for sharing... what round would you target him in. Seems like an interesting player, and me thinks we will double up on DE's... and considering in the first few plays of this you had Ansah [who I like at 12] opposite him, I'd certainly get excited about the future of DE with those 2 on the roster learning from Wake [I'd like to see Vernon switch to OLB]

And on a more humourous note - for a moment I had a flash back to Ted Hendricks...

Thanks for sharing... what round would you target him in. Seems like an interesting player, and me thinks we will double up on DE's... and considering in the first few plays of this you had Ansah [who I like at 12] opposite him, I'd certainly get excited about the future of DE with those 2 on the roster learning from Wake [I'd like to see Vernon switch to OLB]

And on a more humourous note - for a moment I had a flash back to Ted Hendricks...

Prior to the Combine, I'd have said the 3rd round is where he's sure to end up going. But he's really blowing the doors out of Lucas Oil Stadium so the 2nd round wouldn't be shocking.

What I just have to say is...don't make the same mistake Georgia did. He's incredibly athletic and so naturally you want him out in space and doing all these things. But all you're doing is slowing him down, giving him too much to think about, asking him to move around when he's really at his best going straight ahead. Just have him focus on one thing...rushing the passer. He has so much natural ability that if you let him do that from right end I don't think you'll regret it.

He's so much like Mark Anderson, IMO.

My two steals of the draft......

Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State, and

Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State

Neither guy has blazing speed...they both are probably in the 4.55-4.65 range, so they may drop to the late third or 4th round.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the difference with Mike Williams was that he was facing a suspension by the University. He might as well have quit.

There's no question that Wilson belongs in the top 2 or 3 underclassman WR's in this draft in terms of talent, but I have questions regarding his coachability and attitude.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle in my opinion.

I believe that Wilson was lazy and had terrible practice habits. I also know that Coach Leach is a little...... different, shall we say... and doesn't always treat his kids in a fair manner. But the bottom line is, Wilson is the only kid that quit. He was trying to make an example out of the most talented player he had in order to get everyone to turn around their poor practice habits, because the team wasn't going to quit losing until it happened.

Coaches will try different methods to get their point across, and perhaps Leach went too far. Then again, perhaps he didn't. Perhaps the majority of the blame falls squarely on Wilson.

Joe Namath was the most hard to handle, wreckless, difficult to deal with player Bear Bryant ever had. All he wanted to do was stay out all night partying and drinking. He was the worst. Bear even kicked him off the team once because of it. Bear turned the tables on Joe...

Instead of everyone else trying to be responsible for Joe and making sure he was in the hotel room at curfew and doing what he was supposed to be doing, Bear put his biggest problem child in charge of the entire team... Joe had to make sure they were the one's in their room at curfew and doing what they were supposed to be doing.

If everyone quit everytime they felt like were treated "unfairly", it would require nothing to persevere. I don't believe for a second that Marquess Wilson couldn't have gotten on Mike Leach's good side if he wanted to be. He just didn't want to have to earn it. He wanted it automatically while expecting the coaching staff to coddle him and deal with his poor practice habits and entitled attitude.

I like Lonnie Pryor quite a bit but didn't know how the transition to RB would work. The only negative I can say about him is he seems to fumble a bit though not horribly. I need to look up that stat to ensure I am not mistaken.

D. Rodgers is a guy whose talent I like a lot. Take away the Red Flags, and I don't think K. Allen is a better prospect. Potential steal there.

What I just have to say is...don't make the same mistake Georgia did. He's incredibly athletic and so naturally you want him out in space and doing all these things. But all you're doing is slowing him down, giving him too much to think about, asking him to move around when he's really at his best going straight ahead. Just have him focus on one thing...rushing the passer. He has so much natural ability that if you let him do that from right end I don't think you'll regret it.

Oh, I agree... what I meant was I'd like to see Olivier Vernon at OLB... not Washington.. he's clearly an end, let him get after people.

I like Lonnie Pryor quite a bit but didn't know how the transition to RB would work. The only negative I can say about him is he seems to fumble a bit though not horribly. I need to look up that stat to ensure I am not mistaken.

He's only fumbled once in his entire career, in the 4th quarter against USF. He's had 175 total touches (carries, receiving, kickoffs) and that one is the lone fumble.... recovered by Florida St.

Back
Top Bottom