why all the hate for ireland? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

why all the hate for ireland?

The reason people hate Jeff Ireland is everything else. Our secondary blows and he has not done a good job of addressing it, he has spent way too many picks on the defensive line, we have consistently struck out in free agency (the fact that Reggie Bush and Matt Moore are his best FA signings says it all), etc.

Also, let's not kid ourselves. Daniel Thomas seems like a good guy and I think he's going to be a solid RB, but that was not a good use of our second round pick. I like Pouncey, he's a good player and I'm glad he's on the Dolphins, but we needed an impact player with that pick and the simple truth is that a center is not really an impact player. Clyde Gates is just a waste of time, money, and space on the roster.

I'll give him Clay, though. That guy was a steal in the sixth round.

Reggie Bush was not a free agent signing, we had to trade for him, and give up a draft pick for him. We could have signed Darren Sproles (who replaced Bush in New Orleans) kept a draft pick and saved $ 600,000 a year to spend on another player or signing one of our soon to be free agents.

Good, giving up draft picks for Orton would have been a godawful move.

Giving up a draft pick for Bush, when you could have had Sproles for nothing and paid him $ 600,000 a year less is a God awful move. Not addressing QB or TE since he has been here is another glaring mistake. Passing on Dez Bryant to trade down for Odrick who so far has been less than a # 1 pick was beyond stupid.

and again, ANYONE WHO SIGNS MARC COLOMBO SHOULD BE FIRED !!!!!

I was able to watch a lot of Dalton yesterday. He is really, really good. I didn't see him being this good, but I'm not an NFL GM, Ireland is. Passing on Dalton for a C was a gigantic mistake. DT over DeMarco was also a blunder. Ireland's a bum.

Why do people hate Ireland? The easy answer is "He Sucks" which is true. Why does he suck? For every good move he has made, he has made two bad moves. How do you let Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown, Ted Ginn, John Beck, and others go for nothing? Granted none of these players he is burning up the league, but a good GM could have gotten some draft picks or role players for them. He has never had a draft that graded out better than a C. This guy is weak when compared to Bobby Beathard, Scott Pioli, or others who are or have been elite. I have read a ton of posts about "another 5 to 10 years of mediocrity". If you want to avoid another lost decade, the first thing that has to happen is a restructuring of this front office. Ireland has to go, Sparono has to go, and Ross has to build a new infrastructure like we had when this was a "proud franchise". One player is not going to make the difference. Luck, Barkley, or Griffin, will all fail if this front office mess is not cleaned up. Why do you think there is so much talk about this guy or that guy not wanting to come to the Dolphins? SFL or Dump the Front Office (DTFO)? To me the answer is clear! Love the win, but keeping this FO will only secure "5 to 10 years" of mediocrity.

I like how everyone hates ireland when the only thing he has done in his one year as full time gm is have a solid draft. He wasnt given an opportunity to add the players he wanted in free agency so he picked up the best playmaker possible, within the money he was allotted, in Reggie Bush. So why all the hate?

> players drafted by Ireland:
  • Mike Pouncey- Great draft pick
  • Daniel Thomas- Great draft pick
  • Clyde Gates- solid pick that filled a glaring need
  • Charles Clay- Great draft pick
  • Jimmy Wilson- Great draft pick
> players picked up in free agency:
  • Reggie Bush- Great pickup
  • Columbo- Bad pickup
  • Kevin Burnett- started season rough but has picked up play in recent weeks
  • Matt Moore- I hate the guy but he has filled in as a below average quarterback
So, with all this I dont understand the hate. The guy picked up two YOUNG playmakers in Reggie Bush and Kevin Burnett that every fan was screaming for. He solidified the offensive lines most important positions by drafting Mike Pouncey to pair with Jake Long. What did he do wrong? He wasnt given the money to go out and get the likes of ahmad bradshaw or trade for Kyle Orton. In my opinion, Jeff Ireland has done his job. He has put alot of talent on this team but people hate him because he didnt draft RYAN MALLETT. Enough is Enough! Ryan Mallett is a third string quarterback. He had ALOT of red flags. Oh, and Andy Dalton supposedly didnt have the arm strength for the pros (smh).. Just relax and let things play out! From what i seen the past 3 weeks this dolphins team is only missing two to three pieces on offense from being pretty damn nice. Just wait till 2012 when the nfl receives the most talented quarterback class since 1983.

In what world does a GM get CREDIT for assembling a 1-7 team FOUR YEARS after taking up the office??? That ALONE should be indictment enough of how awful this guy is.

Regardless of upgrades or no... ALL of the signings you are applauding were lateral moves to correct mistakes or fill holes IRELAND HIMSELF CREATED.

And you, like so many... are sadly missing the point about Mallett... It is not the player but THE POSITION... There is absolutely no excuse for coming out of that draft without a QB with what we had going in... NONE. The fact we traded UP for Thomas... Demonstrated that Ireland had NO INTENTION of signing a QB... ANY QB... And he drove the price of Orton up ON HIMSELF!!!!!!

let me explain it this way... The team that drafted Mallett has arguably the LEAST need for a QB in the league... And yet they saw fit to throw a third rounder at the position... And that HOF QB they have by the way was picked in the 6th when Bledsoe was still playing at a very high level... Seems to me one franchise understands the importance of always looking for a QB more than the other... Hmm interesting.

This is just the beginning of the indignities Ireland has wrought on this franchise.

Reggie Bush was not a free agent signing, we had to trade for him, and give up a draft pick for him. We could have signed Darren Sproles (who replaced Bush in New Orleans) kept a draft pick and saved $ 600,000 a year to spend on another player or signing one of our soon to be free agents.

Oh man, I forgot that we traded for him. I was trying to blot that out of my mind.

you're right. i mean, Ireland took a bad team with no QB and no depth to speak of and transformed it into....... a bad team with no QB and no depth to speak of. amazing

I think Ireland has drafted well for the most part. Its the FA signings and the weekly personnel moves that are baffling.

Here is a brief list of FA/Trade busts:

Justin Smiley
Jake Grove
Gibril Wilson
Tim Dobbins
Earnest Wilford
Tyler Thigpen
Eric Green

I'm not calling Reggie Bush a bust yet

I think Ireland has drafted well for the most part. Its the FA signings and the weekly personnel moves that are baffling.

Here is a brief list of FA/Trade busts:

Justin Smiley
Jake Grove
Gibril Wilson
Tim Dobbins
Earnest Wilford
Tyler Thigpen
Eric Green

I'm not calling Reggie Bush a bust yet

90% of your list smells like tuna.

For all of you this is Ireland's first draft guys out there, What the hell has he been doing for the last 4 years? If he had no input on signings or the draft why was he hired? You can blame Parcells all you want, but Ireland got his hands filthy in horrible drafts and free agent signings just as much as Parcells did.

Dude the team is 1-7 and in worse shape depth wise than when they got here 4 years ago. Burnett has been a bust, and Dansby has been close to one. He TRADED for Reggie Bush, and had to give up a draft pick to get him, meanwhile New Orleans who we got Bush from signed Sproles to fill the same role as Bush AS A FREE AGENT (it didn't cost New Orleans anything to sign him) and on top of that got him for almost $ 600,000 a year LESS than we are paying Bush !!!!!

He also signed Marc Colombo - that alone should get someone fired.

Also this years draft has been so-so and you can't judge it completely until the end of the season. Just because a player had a good game yesterday, doesn't mean they are a great pick. Thomas has missed half of this years games - that is a great pick ????
Wow that 600k a year is a real cap breaker

Back
Top Bottom