Why is DE such a priority... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is DE such a priority...

DE is a priority for sure, but I put it behind OG LB, FS, CB.

DE is a priority for sure, but I put it behind OG LB, FS, CB.

My order is slightly different...

OG, FS/DE (BPA of these two), CB...

The truth is DT is a bigger need than DE. But I'd be fine taking a DE like Harris in the first.

We need depth at DT, but we could really use a solid, full-time starter at DE. I know you don't like Phillips, but he's trending upward. He got better in year two, and he should keep developing.

We need a veteran DT. DE is such a hard position to buy that if one is available at pick 22 we should not hesitate. While I understand we need a G, FS, and LB, DE is also a missing piece for 2018. Assuming how the board falls.

We need depth at DT, but we could really use a solid, full-time starter at DE. I know you don't like Phillips, but he's trending upward. He got better in year two, and he should keep developing.

We'd be doing a disservice to ourselves and Phillips by moving on too quickly. Year 3 is generally the litmus test for developing interior lineman and you nailed the need for depth vs starter concerning DT for this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fede is such complete garbage that I cringe every time he's on the field. Warmsley may not make the team.

Branch is primarily a rotational player. Hayes is an early down player with little pass rushing. Wake is at the tail end of his career.

Having pass rushing talent is severely needed for the future, thus, defensive end would be a great pick at 22. Plus, it would give a solid 4-man rotation.

Well put. You make great points without sounding fanatical. While I maintain Thursday's draft board will dictate to us what we do at 22 at least one can understand the logic of hoping a suitable talent at De falls to us. Hopefully the team does not force the issue by over drafting the position. That being said, if we can draft a suitable starter at 22 at any position I would be very happy.

I rarely see the Pats/Brady get beaten with pressure from the outside. He gets the ball out to quick.

That is true. Give NE credit. They changed up a little bit after the Denver loss in the AFC Championship game. One of the subtle changes they made was having Brady get rid of the ball more quickly to his speedy receivers. That's where teams have trouble matching up and one reason I think Peppers is in play if he gets past Baltimore.

That is true. Give NE credit. They changed up a little bit after the Denver loss in the AFC Championship game. One of the subtle changes they made was having Brady get rid of the ball more quickly to his speedy receivers. That's where teams have trouble matching up and one reason I think Peppers is in play if he gets past Baltimore.

The only major change NE made offensively after their AFC champ loss was rehiring and coaxing the great OL coach Dante Scarnecchia out of retirement. They have been a short passing attack team for most of Brady's career minus the 5 years (04'-09') or so when they used a more vertical passing attack during Brady's prime. And I mean the prime of his arm strength, not his play.

Because we've done so well in the past with Gs with a 3rd/4th round grade...right?

Or is it because everyone else is doing it...so should we?

Wait. 3rd and 4th round picks shouldn't be spent on OL because the Dolphins didn't succeed with previous GMs drafting OL in those rounds?

Oh, and it gets better...

Are you also making the case that it's a silly idea to follow successful trends in the NFL? Trends that other teams follow because well, they see that it works, just like anything else in life.

With a lot of your posts, you tell on yourself more and more. But hey, don't let me stop you. :chuckle:

Well put. You make great points without sounding fanatical. While I maintain Thursday's draft board will dictate to us what we do at 22 at least one can understand the logic of hoping a suitable talent at De falls to us. Hopefully the team does not force the issue by over drafting the position. That being said, if we can draft a suitable starter at 22 at any position I would be very happy.

I still think you can find a starter or role player at DE in round 2 or 3, but there's a big difference between Trey Hendrickson/Demarcus Walker, and Jordan Willis/Derek Barnett.

The best possible scenario is impact defender in round 1, interior OL in round 2, and FS/LB/CB in round 3. That's what I'd do, anyway. Just depends on how our board looks through each round.

Wait. 3rd and 4th round picks shouldn't be spent on OL because the Dolphins didn't succeed with previous GMs drafting OL in those rounds?

Oh, and it gets better...

Are you also making the case that it's a silly idea to follow successful trends in the NFL? Trends that other teams follow because well, they see that it works, just like anything else in life.

With a lot of your posts, you tell on yourself more and more. But hey, don't let me stop you. :chuckle:

I think if Tannenbaum was in a previous Dolphins regime, the draft would be a lot more dicey.

I honestly think that Gase is the x-factor in the personnel department. I'd imagine that if Gase wants a guy/position, they'd probably listen to him.

I think if Tannenbaum was in a previous Dolphins regime, the draft would be a lot more dicey.

I honestly think that Gase is the x-factor in the personnel department. I'd imagine that if Gase wants a guy/position, they'd probably listen to him.

I agree. He's partly responsible in trading away 3 draft picks for Carroo. Hopefully he can take his eyes of his precious (offense) and focus on his step-children (defense) this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom