Why is DE such a priority... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is DE such a priority...

This is the main reason why Im against drafting a Guard at #22, Im sure there will be a decent Guard we can draft next year. Take advantage of this years draft, Its much harder to find a good a pass rusher than a good Guard.

Fine...let's hope that Tannehill and his knee can wait until next year. It doesn't matter to me if he gets a career ending/threatening injury...I wouldn't mind seeing another QB back there anyway, but since he is there, let's protect him and his knee as best we can.

One thing is for sure. No matter who we take at 22 this board will go crazy both ways. As usual we have the ones who think everything the FO does is great and then we have those who think everything the FO does sucks. It should be entertaining either way.

Ozzy rules!!

They need a DT more than they need a DE!
But I don't think any will be there when they draft.

So..

OG - Forrest Lamp

IF DT Malik McDowell is ther they draft him.

But please stay away from DE Taco Charlton. Both Pete Prisco and Phil Savage don't like him. And I agree with them.
If they want a DE so bad let it be Derek Barnett. Or even a LB instead like Temple LB Haason Reddick or Zach Cunningham.

I think there's enough talent in this draft that the 2nd rd will have a stud pass rusher. I'm still a Forrest Lamp, best Lber, or Peppers guy.

Either way, I still think we can grab Lamp, 2nd rd- the best pass rusher (Demarcus Walker or Insert name), and grab a 3rd rd Db.

Ya it's neglecting the Lber position. If Reddick is there Lamp and Reddick I take Reddick though. Only guy besides maybe Foster as a Lber I'd pass on Lamp for.

A 2nd rder is still a high pick. Add the 2nd rd DE. Wake, Hayes, Branch, and whoever our pick is should suffice for this year.

I just can't pass on basically a consensus safe yet extremely talented player at our greatest position of need. We've all been calling for a guard for a few years now and it's about that time. I'd much rather go into the season with Tannehill up right and have a beautiful running game.

That it in turn should help the D stay off the field and give our older DE's the rest they deserve.

I personally don't think it's as important a position for us to fill this year over a Guard. If i'm wrong and all of a sudden the next Zach Martin is on the Giants or whoever I'll be sickened.

Remember Lamp can pretty much any interior line spot. If Pouncey goes down, we already have our Center on the roster. An O-Line of Tunsil, Lamp, Pouncey, Steen, and James could be something special. Thank the football gods we only have 3 days!!!

Maybe Dan Feeney in the 2nd ,but we have to go guard in the first two picks IMO. We could be dominant if we just addressed our biggest need.

They need a DT more than they need a DE!
But I don't think any will be there when they draft.

So..

OG - Forrest Lamp

IF DT Malik McDowell is ther they draft him.

But please stay away from DE Taco Charlton. Both Pete Prisco and Phil Savage don't like him. And I agree with them.
If they want a DE so bad let it be Derek Barnett. Or even a LB instead like Temple LB Haason Reddick or Zach Cunningham.

I think so too. I understand we have older DEs but they're not dead. They have a year or so to hold the spots down.

Ya I agree. No Taco Charlton.

I'm no expert but he seems like too he's too lazy. ( So does Myles Garret but that's a different discussion and not our problem).

Look at a guy like Jaye Howard who was recently released. Just saying there's going to be DEs that get cut.

I think there's enough talent in this draft that the 2nd rd will have a stud pass rusher. I'm still a Forrest Lamp, best Lber, or Peppers guy.

Either way, I still think we can grab Lamp, 2nd rd- the best pass rusher (Demarcus Walker or Insert name), and grab a 3rd rd Db.

Ya it's neglecting the Lber position. If Reddick is there Lamp and Reddick I take Reddick though. Only guy besides maybe Foster as a Lber I'd pass on Lamp for.

A 2nd rder is still a high pick. Add the 2nd rd DE. Wake, Hayes, Branch, and whoever our pick is should suffice for this year.

I just can't pass on basically a consensus safe yet extremely talented player at our greatest position of need. We've all been calling for a guard for a few years now and it's about that time. I'd much rather go into the season with Tannehill up right and have a beautiful running game.

That it in turn should help the D stay off the field and give our older DE's the rest they deserve.

I personally don't think it's as important a position for us to fill this year over a Guard. If i'm wrong and all of a sudden the next Zach Martin is on the Giants or whoever I'll be sickened.

Remember Lamp can pretty much any interior line spot. If Pouncey goes down, we already have our Center on the roster. An O-Line of Tunsil, Lamp, Pouncey, Steen, and James could be something special. Thank the football gods we only have 3 days!!!

Maybe Dan Feeney in the 2nd ,but we have to go guard in the first two picks IMO. We could be dominant if we just addressed our biggest need.

I too want a top guard and would be fine with Lamp but I just don't see our FO doing it. They seem to think that guard is not a priority. Of course I don't know that for sure but it just sounds that way. I still believe we'll draft a guard at 54 or 97. At 22 we'll probably go either DE,LB or FS depending on who's there. I am not a fan of Taco as he's more of a base End while I want a real pass rusher as Wake is all we got. What are the chances Wake plays all 16 games again this year? We need help rushing the passer. You win by rushing the QB so I'm all for bringing any guy that can do that.

Ozzy rules!!

We'd be doing a disservice to ourselves and Phillips by moving on too quickly. Year 3 is generally the litmus test for developing interior lineman and you nailed the need for depth vs starter concerning DT for this year.

Lol again with this "moving on/giving up" **** with Phillips, as if signing a Poe or Hankins or drafting Malik McDowell means we're throwing in the towel on Phillips...ridiculous. The 3rd DT will still get plenty of snaps, Phillips averaged about 40 snaps a game last year, right now he has no business being on the field that often. That number needs to be cut in half if we're being honest. We're talking about a guy who lost his starting job to Earl freaking Mitchell late in the year.

Lol again with this "moving on/giving up" **** with Phillips, as if signing a Poe or Hankins or drafting Malik McDowell means we're throwing in the towel on Phillips...ridiculous. The 3rd DT will still get plenty of snaps, Phillips averaged about 40 snaps a game last year, right now he has no business being on the field that often. That number needs to be cut in half if we're being honest. We're talking about a guy who lost his starting job to Earl freaking Mitchell late in the year.

Earl Mitchell is a very good penetrating tackle. His run defense is below average but when you run an attacking front you're going to create creases for the oppositions run game. It's more a flaw of the scheme than of the player. Same for any DL on our team. Phillips needs to play with better leverage, work on his consistency and he'll be just fine playing for 50-60% of the snaps. He's certainly got potential that must be developed in his 3rd year and he should be given the time to grow as well. We only need rotational depth at the moment.

The Broncos at one point had a sure-fire hall-of-famer in Demarcus Ware at one DE and Von Miller at the other DE, and STILL drafted Shane Ray. DE is always a need. Or at least it should be, for every team.

Forrest Lamp round 1 for me. Immediate starter, fills a need and sets up the offense for similar success to our playoff run this past year. Tarrell Basham round 2. Corn Elder round 3.

Earl Mitchell is a very good penetrating tackle. His run defense is below average but when you run an attacking front you're going to create creases for the oppositions run game. It's more a flaw of the scheme than of the player. Same for any DL on our team. Phillips needs to play with better leverage, work on his consistency and he'll be just fine playing for 50-60% of the snaps.

He can't anchor and he can't get off a block against Johnny No Name at guard, that's the problem, scheme doesn't have anything to do with him losing one on one battles while the whole OL gangs up on Suh.

He's certainly got potential that must be developed in his 3rd year and he should be given the time to grow as well.

Great, he can do all of that as the 3rd DT.

We only need rotational depth at the moment.

Yes I'm sure we spent 10 hours with Poe and blew Hankins phone up so they could give us 25 snaps a game.

He can't anchor and he can't get off a block against Johnny No Name at guard, that's the problem, scheme doesn't have anything to do with him losing one on one battles while the whole OL gangs up on Suh.

None of this is true, especially the Suh part. It's inconsistency that plagues him, not his overskill skill set.

I don't give a **** about the rest of your useless rant to address it.

You don't pick a guard in the first round because guards aren't worth what DE's are worth. Look at what OV got from the Giants. You could sign two top FA guards for that money. So we need to get a DE in the draft so we can get a good one we can afford.

About the only things you draft in the first round are QB, LT, DE, WR, or CB......unless you are a player or two from a super bowl.

We need 3 DE's...so should we use out first three picks to rehaul the position?

We could use another DT...do we use our comp 5th to address that?

We could use a boundary CB and a slot CB...do we use our two 5th to address that?

We could use a free safety...do we use our last pick to address that?

That's a bit extreme, but the point is we had a below average free agency and draft in 2016...2017 free agency has been better, but even that's debatable considering what was out there and missed out on.

A defensive end is not going to improve this defense to the point where it could have beaten Pittsburgh/Bell in the Wildcard game.

Outside of QB, pass rusher is the premium position in football. To get them in FA, you pay a LOT (see OV). It's also very rare for them to produce at a high level as rookies. Rhe 2015 Class had at least four double-digit sack players in 2016. In 2015, they were all rotational players or part-time starters with modest production. We can look back further to Mack, Watt, and Houston.

If you're drafting a pass rusher the year you need one, you're at least a year behind schedule at the most important position in the game - outside of QB.

The 2017 Class also happens to be loaded - rivaling 2011 and 2015. I think it's the right time to address the need. Now, if there's a run on pass rushers in the 1st, I'm not saying that you should force it. But, as things are currently projected, it's looking like the top option. I'll go into detail about this in the days leading up to the draft.

Back
Top Bottom