Why is everyone so high on Ronnie Brown? Educate me... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone so high on Ronnie Brown? Educate me...

inFINSible said:
Too expensive for a team that's going to be rebuilding.

it would be counter productive to sign a FA RB because by the time we're ready to contend seriously, it would be about the same time the FAs contract would be uncarriable cap-wise.
but wouldn't you agree that a first-rounder, top-ten pick is going to cost us the same as a FA? with the money the top picks are warranting these days, its almost safer to go with a high-dollar FA.... at least with the FA you know what you're going to get...

texasPHINSfan said:
but wouldn't you agree that a first-rounder, top-ten pick is going to cost us the same as a FA? with the money the top picks are warranting these days, its almost safer to go with a high-dollar FA.... at least with the FA you know what you're going to get...
No, they won't even be close to the same cost....

The signing bonus may be close but the base salary won't even be in the same ball park and then you add the fact that you're getting a younger player with his prime years AHEAD of him instead of a player wasting his prime years while the team retools.

inFINSible said:
No they won't even be close to the same cost....

the signing bonus may be close but the base salary won't even be in the same ball park and then you add the fact that you're getting a younger player with his prime years AHEAD of him instead of a player wasting his prime years while the team retools.
the signing bonus doesn't count against the cap? if it does i would think they would cost pretty close to the same....

as far as the age argument, you are definitely correct there...

texasPHINSfan said:
the signing bonus doesn't count against the cap? if it does i would think they would cost pretty close to the same....

as far as the age argument, you are definitely correct there...
the signing bonus does count aginst the cap, it's just spread out over the length of the contract.

probably 4 years for a FA and 6 years for a draft pick....

And OMT, I've seen a lot of FA flops, so, i don't know how you can say, "you know what you're getting".

inFINSible said:
Too expensive for a team that's going to be rebuilding.

it would be counter productive to sign a FA RB because by the time we're ready to contend seriously, it would be about the same time the FAs contract would be uncarriable cap-wise.
But look at all the guys you can get cheap. Nick Goings, Ruben Droughns, etc. RB just isn't a position you have to spend a top pick on anymore. I'd rather spend top picks on guys that are hard to get, like shut-down CBs, LTs, DEs, and QBs.

texasPHINSfan said:
Their signing bonuses are similar but their base salaries are no way comparable. Rookie salaries are much much more cap friendly.

Also, with the high dollar FA, you dont always know what you are getting.

See Hugh Douglas, Clinton Portis, Jeremiah Trotter, Bobby Taylor just to name a few of my FAV overpriced FA flops in the past 1-2 years.

You also dont get the mileage on a FA RB as you would with a rookie RB. They both are risks but you just need to weigh the pros and cons and see how they perform.

shouright said:
But look at all the guys you can get cheap. Nick Goings, Ruben Droughns, etc. RB just isn't a position you have to spend a top pick on anymore. I'd rather spend top picks on guys that are hard to get, like shut-down CBs, LTs, DEs, and QBs.
Lamar Gordon IS Nick Goings or Rueben Droughns.....why settle for that when you can get an "Edgerrin James" in the draft for a lot less than you can get a real Edgerrin James?

shouright said:
Do you want a cheap RB or else a franchise one? We have a cheapo on our team by the name of Lamar and Travis...... You can get a RB in the draft for cheap, which is exactly whats going to happen with Ronnie Brown. Benson and Williams are hyped more than he is but Brown is the best pro candidate. If he is picked at 10, he is a STEAL. He is cheap and he is a franchise RB. As I listed and listed before by other people, his numbers are the best out of any back coming into the NFL. If Cadillac wasnt on Auburn, Ronnie would be the #1 RB in the draft.

I am an Auburn grad and have watched almost every game the last 3 years. Brown is the better back. When they need the tough yard that's who they turn to. Cadillac seems more "fragile" but is still a great back. Either back would have huge numbers had the other one not been there. I wouldn't mind having the Dolphins take either one.

Philter25 said:
See Hugh Douglas, Clinton Portis, Jeremiah Trotter, Bobby Taylor just to name a few of my FAV overpriced FA flops in the past 1-2 years.

The Redskins traded for Clinton Portis. :)

inFINSible said:
Lamar Gordon IS Nick Goings or Rueben Droughns.....why settle for that when you can get an "Edgerrin James" in the draft for a lot less than you can get a real Edgerrin James?
Don't get me wrong -- I want the real Edgerrin James, but too many of them who are picked high don't pan out. You bust on a #2 overall pick and it ruins you for years. I'd rather pick a safer position and one that's harder to get in FA.

Philter25 said:
Do you want a cheap RB or else a franchise one? We have a cheapo on our team by the name of Lamar and Travis...... You can get a RB in the draft for cheap, which is exactly whats going to happen with Ronnie Brown. Benson and Williams are hyped more than he is but Brown is the best pro candidate. If he is picked at 10, he is a STEAL. He is cheap and he is a franchise RB. As I listed and listed before by other people, his numbers are the best out of any back coming into the NFL. If Cadillac wasnt on Auburn, Ronnie would be the #1 RB in the draft.
This is a weak year for RBs though. I remember when we took Lorenzo Hampton #1, and the only RBs selected ahead of him were Ethan Horton and George Adams. There's a tendency to play up a guy because he's in a weak crowd.

shouright said:
Don't get me wrong -- I want the real Edgerrin James, but too many of them who are picked high don't pan out. You bust on a #2 overall pick and it ruins you for years. I'd rather pick a safer position and one that's harder to get in FA.
I don't think there is a much safer pick in this draft.

Two may be high right now, we'll see after tonight and the combines, whether it's too high come April. :D

Back
Top Bottom