Why Miami Should Draft a First Day QB..... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Miami Should Draft a First Day QB.....

Hey, WAKE UP !!!!!

I am really tired of all this "other needs to fill" b.s

QB is POSITION #1 on ANY team, and we will never go far without one, so what position you gonna put before that? Huh? We need to get the QB position finalized, period, get over it.

If you want to tell me ...."uh...well Beck may end up being good", well then fine, so what. Are you willing to bank a year or 2 or 3 on that bet? I am not.

You sometimes have to fill the position with a bit of overkill because you cannot afford to not have a good qb. If we somehow end up with 2 good QB's then fine, trade one for value.

We need a QB drafted this year, period, no question.

If you don't believe me, look on the draftboard next weekend and you will see that Parcells thinks so as well. We will draft a QB this year.

:clap: Winner.

Good point about betting big(by that I mean 2-3 years) on Beck. Because if we pass on a QB this year and put all the eggs in the Beck basket, we would be set back 2-3 should he fail for reasons I mentioned a few posts ago(no QBs coming out next year, not having high enough picks to take the BQBA, no QBs in FA)

No. There isnt. And there wont be either. And there isnt going to be anyone available in FA next year.

Not only that next years draft class will be weak especially if Stafford stays in college and reports suggest he will. Tebow might stay as well.

And on top of that, we probably wont be in position to draft the best QB available should we win some games. Dont expect the phins to find themselves in position to take the best QB available in any of the next few years if the FO does their jobs right.

So it seems as though if you want a top QB, might want to go ahead and strike while the iron is hot and take Matt Ryan. Pretty much, its the hand we are dealt.

Or we can keep pretending that Tom Bradys and Tony Romos grow on trees and that its a piece of cake to find a solid QB in late rounds or undrafted.

And we can keep pretending that the problem we have had at QB the last decade, which has lead to a complete downfall of this once proud franchise, resulting in the team having to trade good players for draft picks, hire and fire numerous coaches and FO people, cause a complete lack of home field advantage due to lack of fans and more opposing team fans showing up and being heard, and pretty much turned this team into a laughing stock of the league.

Lets just bury and heads in the sand and keep pretending. Pretend we will magically get a QB to play well and pretend that it isnt true that most great QBs come from early in round 1 of the draft.

None of this is happening. We are fine at QB. Drafting Matt Ryan would be a waste. We are just fine at QB. This franchise is right where it needs to be and QB hasnt been a big problem. QBs can be had anywhere. Trade, FA, late draft, undrafted.....there is QB talent everywhere to be had.

It isnt true that there are about 12 teams starting garbage at QB in a 32 team league. Its easy to get great QB. So when you are in the rare position of picking high in the draft, forget taking the best QB available when you have the chance and desperately need a solid QB. The franchise will be fine.

Just take another OLB/DE or something. Because we all know that if you have a player at that position be the best in the league and win the DPOY you are a lock to win a title. YEA.

GET REAL PEOPLE.

Ryan will get crushed behind a makeshift OL and playing from behind because we cant stop the run. Look at the supposed franchise QBs that are terrible: David Carr, Alex Smith, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf. These guys go to teams that have so many holes that they cant do it by themselves while they are hailed a saviour to the franchise. If we can start to build a pass rush and get a LT that can give a QB time, accurate QBs like BECK can actually be productive. I mean really, Mark Rypien? Doug Williams? Even Trent Dilfer had a great line in front of him so he could make the occasional play. Look what a good OL can do for your running game? With a rushing attack, your QB becomes better.

No. There isnt. And there wont be either. And there isnt going to be anyone available in FA next year.

Not only that next years draft class will be weak especially if Stafford stays in college and reports suggest he will. Tebow might stay as well.

And on top of that, we probably wont be in position to draft the best QB available should we win some games. Dont expect the phins to find themselves in position to take the best QB available in any of the next few years if the FO does their jobs right.

So it seems as though if you want a top QB, might want to go ahead and strike while the iron is hot and take Matt Ryan. Pretty much, its the hand we are dealt.

Or we can keep pretending that Tom Bradys and Tony Romos grow on trees and that its a piece of cake to find a solid QB in late rounds or undrafted.

And we can keep pretending that the problem we have had at QB the last decade, which has lead to a complete downfall of this once proud franchise, resulting in the team having to trade good players for draft picks, hire and fire numerous coaches and FO people, cause a complete lack of home field advantage due to lack of fans and more opposing team fans showing up and being heard, and pretty much turned this team into a laughing stock of the league.

Lets just bury and heads in the sand and keep pretending. Pretend we will magically get a QB to play well and pretend that it isnt true that most great QBs come from early in round 1 of the draft.

None of this is happening. We are fine at QB. Drafting Matt Ryan would be a waste. We are just fine at QB. This franchise is right where it needs to be and QB hasnt been a big problem. QBs can be had anywhere. Trade, FA, late draft, undrafted.....there is QB talent everywhere to be had.

It isnt true that there are about 12 teams starting garbage at QB in a 32 team league. Its easy to get great QB. So when you are in the rare position of picking high in the draft, forget taking the best QB available when you have the chance and desperately need a solid QB. The franchise will be fine.

Just take another OLB/DE or something. Because we all know that if you have a player at that position be the best in the league and win the DPOY you are a lock to win a title. YEA.

GET REAL PEOPLE.

Outstanding post.I wanna copy and past it as a new topic just so I can get 4 stars!

Wow, calm down there bud. Where in my post did I say dont draft a QB? I said dont take one in the first 3 rounds, but never mentioned not drafting one. You dont seem to understand that drafting a QB wont help the team this year so its not worth taking one in the first few rounds.

You dont seem to understand that 1) You dont know for sure drafting a QB wont help this year. Again, see my first response to that. and 2) Dont you understand that we arent making a run at the title this season? Whats important is that we draft guys who will be ready to be the core of a championship caliber team in 3-4 years, not this season.

I think if we drafted Ryan we would trade Beck. Beck would probably slot somewhere in the 2nd round so we could probably get a 3rd rounder no problem. After Henne who's the next best prospect Woodson or Johnson or Booty?Beck would be ahead of all three of them. Personally I think he's a better prospect than Henne. I could see us drafting Ryan and trading Beck to Cameron's Ravens for a 3rd

Buddy, there is no way we could get a 3rd for Beck. If we could he would probably already be packed. Seriously. But, I wouldnt trade him if we drafted Ryan unless someone gave us at least a 3rd and I dont think anyone would. May as well keep him around to see if he turns into a player. But, I would be a fool to want to bank on him at this point. I dont think Bill is a fool. He will do the right thing.

You dont seem to understand that 1) You dont know for sure drafting a QB wont help this year. Again, see my first response to that. and 2) Dont you understand that we arent making a run at the title this season? Whats important is that we draft guys who will be ready to be the core of a championship caliber team in 3-4 years, not this season.

You keep holding on to that dream that the fins take Ryan because it aint happening.

BP does not start rookie QB's and none of the QB's in this draft would have a remote chance of starting, so give it up.

Obviously they see something in Beck as they are going to pass on Ryan. I bet Lee figured out pretty quick that Ryan has no more upside over Beck. :up:

lets just switch picks with Cincy so they can draft Dorsey and we can draft B Albert. Throw in JT and they can throw in Ocho Cinco. Maybe then Ted Ginn can become a Houshmanzadeh!

I know, let a man dream.

Hey, WAKE UP !!!!!

I am really tired of all this "other needs to fill" b.s

QB is POSITION #1 on ANY team, and we will never go far without one, so what position you gonna put before that? Huh? We need to get the QB position finalized, period, get over it.

If you want to tell me ...."uh...well Beck may end up being good", well then fine, so what. Are you willing to bank a year or 2 or 3 on that bet? I am not.

You sometimes have to fill the position with a bit of overkill because you cannot afford to not have a good qb. If we somehow end up with 2 good QB's then fine, trade one for value.

We need a QB drafted this year, period, no question.

If you don't believe me, look on the draftboard next weekend and you will see that Parcells thinks so as well. We will draft a QB this year.

We have been burning picks on QB's the last few years so what are you tired of? I beleive we gave up a 2nd last year Beck plus a 5th Trent Green already this year. Then there 2nd Culppper a year before that plus a 5th Joey Harrington. Then there was a 6th plus Feely for Lemon and a year before that a 2nd for Feely. I could go on but you see the picture. Now those guys were not rookies either but we have burnt quite a few draft picks at that position with poor results. The draft is more of a gamble than FA before you put a gold star on that answer because in the draft you have to almost give them 2 years to develop before deciding on letting them go and starting over and if they were any good their contract is up and you have to empty the bank to keep them on the team. Yea we need a good QB on this team and need to keep aquiring them until we find one but it has to be done with a long term outlook too which takes more patience than most positions and what many fans are willing to tolerate. Take me for example I do not beleive Beck is the answer but I do beleive we need to give him enough time to really find out if he is.

Ryan will get crushed behind a makeshift OL and playing from behind because we cant stop the run. Look at the supposed franchise QBs that are terrible: David Carr, Alex Smith, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf. These guys go to teams that have so many holes that they cant do it by themselves while they are hailed a saviour to the franchise. If we can start to build a pass rush and get a LT that can give a QB time, accurate QBs like BECK can actually be productive. I mean really, Mark Rypien? Doug Williams? Even Trent Dilfer had a great line in front of him so he could make the occasional play. Look what a good OL can do for your running game? With a rushing attack, your QB becomes better.

Elway got the crap kicked out of him his Rookie season, drafting (aquiring actually) him was the best move the franchise did. P. Manning got the crap kicked out of him his rookie season, drafting him was the best thing the Colts did. Bob Griese got the crap kicked out of him the first few seasons he was a Dolphin. I'm sure I could come up with dozens of examples.

Like was already said, you play the hand your dealt. Also as mentioned, if the day comes our line is good enough for you folks, we won't be in any position to draft a franchise QB.

You keep holding on to that dream that the fins take Ryan because it aint happening.

BP does not start rookie QB's and none of the QB's in this draft would have a remote chance of starting, so give it up.

Obviously they see something in Beck as they are going to pass on Ryan. I bet Lee figured out pretty quick that Ryan has no more upside over Beck. :up:

Parcells does to start Rookies. He started Bledsoe. You people need to do more research, the "Bill doesn't start rookie QB's" saying came out because he wouldn't start Henson, who I believe is out of the league and has started nowhere. Other than that he has had no need to start Rookies.

Elway got the crap kicked out of him his Rookie season, drafting (aquiring actually) him was the best move the franchise did. P. Manning got the crap kicked out of him his rookie season, drafting him was the best thing the Colts did. Bob Griese got the crap kicked out of him the first few seasons he was a Dolphin. I'm sure I could come up with dozens of examples.

Like was already said, you play the hand your dealt. Also as mentioned, if the day comes our line is good enough for you folks, we won't be in any position to draft a franchise QB.

Joe MOntana drafted Rd 3
Tom Brady drafted Rd 6

two of the best of all time.

With the right parts up front and a defense that wont force you to pass all the time to catch up, you can put an above avg QB and win enough games to be competetive.

would you rather have (Boston College) Ryan and Gosder Cherilus or (Michigan) J Long and Henne?

We have been burning picks on QB's the last few years so what are you tired of? I beleive we gave up a 2nd last year Beck plus a 5th Trent Green already this year. Then there 2nd Culppper a year before that plus a 5th Joey Harrington. Then there was a 6th plus Feely for Lemon and a year before that a 2nd for Feely. I could go on but you see the picture. Now those guys were not rookies either but we have burnt quite a few draft picks at that position with poor results. The draft is more of a gamble than FA before you put a gold star on that answer because in the draft you have to almost give them 2 years to develop before deciding on letting them go and starting over and if they were any good their contract is up and you have to empty the bank to keep them on the team. Yea we need a good QB on this team and need to keep aquiring them until we find one but it has to be done with a long term outlook too which takes more patience than most positions and what many fans are willing to tolerate. Take me for example I do not beleive Beck is the answer but I do beleive we need to give him enough time to really find out if he is.

I would sware by you listing all the drafts we have wasted trying to budget a QB your arguing to draft a QB #1

McCown couldnt even keep the Raiders starting job, what makes you think he will beat out Beck? Look, Beck didnt start well but he was on his rear the whole time since he didnt have time to throw. He didnt have a receiver to throw to, he had a LT out of position protecting his blind side, he didnt have Ronnie Brown in the backfield, and it was raining and cold for his first few games. I cant sit here and write him off without seeing him with some means of talent and time around him over 4 games. When our D is putting us in bad situations playing catch-up, you are going ot have a rough time with no experience.

The guy has a strong arm and with a little time and a WR that can run a route and actually catch the ball, he shoudl be able to offer at LEAST what Ryan can. Both are very similar except for size. Both have the intangibles but some believe Beck can throw deeper than Ryan. Both are pretty accurate but Beck was at something like 70% in college? Miami shoudl have anothe top ten pick next year. Maybe you wait to draft your franchise QB then. Tim Tebow anyone? Stafford? Someone else will shine?

Its a complete MYTH that John Beck was always on his back and never had time to make a play. COMPLETE MYTH.

Vernon Carey is a very good LT. Why do you say he was out of position? Because he played great at RT the year before? I dont think he was out of position. I think he will be a solid LT for us should they leave him there. You go tell Carey he is out of position.

:lol: Raining and cold. LMAO! You sound like his mother. I mean the excuses are numerous and some are actually worthy of mentioning, but when you go to raining and cold I just have to laugh. POOR JOHNNY! Didnt have time to throw the wittle bawl. It was wainin on his poor wittle head and it was cold out there for his poor wittle hands. GET REAL!!!!!!!! ITS FOOTBALL! Guess what.........IN FOXBORO, BUFFALO, AND NY ITS ****ING COLD EVERY YEAR LATE IN THE SEASON. We play those teams on the road EVERY YEAR. So guess what. Poor wittle Johnny had damn well be able to produce whether its cold or whatever should we be playing in those places in November and December. Get real with this **** already. It was raining and cold. Jesus Christ.

And stop bringing up Becks college **** and comparing them to Matt Ryans. Its the MWC and the ACC. Just take a look at the players drafted every year and tell me how many come out of each conference. Get real. Of course his college stats are better than Ryans. SO WHAT. Find me one person who will say with a straight face that Beck is a better prospect coming out of college than Ryan. Get real. Just stop already with even suggesting such a thing.

And no one is writing Beck off dude. Maybe some of us though are scared ****less that he just wont be very good based on what we saw out of the guy and wouldnt mind getting a QB in the draft who has an outstanding shot to be a franchise player at the position. Then it really dosent matter much what the hell Beck does. If he continues to blow, then oh well, have a nice one pal. If he turns into a good player then we have a solid backup, a very nice return on investment in trade, or even perhaps a guy who can be the guy should the QB we select this year fail.

And lastly, dude if Stafford comes out next year he will be drafted by the first team that needs a QB, which almost always will be in the top 5. Strong chance Stafford goes #1 overall. He will be the highest rated QB whenever he comes out. Youre not getting Stafford without at least a top 5 pick.

I believe in having competition for the job. Beck has to win it, still. I never hear anybody mention Anthony Morelli, but I think that PennState was a bad fit for him. I think he will make a roster and develop into a good NFL quarterback. He will probably not even be drafted, but he can do anything Joe Flacco can do. I like those big arm Italian quarterbacks from Pittsburg with the quick release!

Back
Top Bottom