Why there is no question about Ryan Tannehill and his $17.5 million | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why there is no question about Ryan Tannehill and his $17.5 million

LOL@some of the circle-jerking in this thread
11alam8.jpg

Scoring defense is the stat to look at when determining what is a good defense or not. Not Yards given up. Arizona was not the number 2 defense.

The only team we faced during that 7-1 run that finished in the top 10 in scoring defense was Pittsburgh. Every one else was relatively bad, giving up a minimum of 23 points a game.

Tannehill played well against the Steelers and Ariz had the #2 defense. Both are accurate even if they don't fit your agenda. There were other top half of the league defenses in that stretch. You didn't even bother to check.
My agenda...lol...okay, played well and reason Miami won are two different things.

And when is the last time a team was declared the winner of a game based on yards gained/allowed?

Only someone with an agenda would be promoting a defense that was 14th in the NFL in ppg (22.6) which was largely skewed by getting to play in the NFC West as the #2 defense in the league. Arizona's ppg was 26.1 outside of their conference which would have ranked them 28th. And only someone with an agenda would ignore the defense was banged up and lost their best DB for that game.

Even Miami's defense only gave up 16.67 ppg against the Seahawks, 49ers and Rams.

Again, mirror?

Last edited:
My agenda...lol...okay, played well and reason Miami won are two different things.

My bad, I thought you wrote this:

The only teams Tannehill played well against last year were teams in the bottom 10 in the league. Against good teams he sucked. Time to move on.

Oh wait, YOU DID.

Don't post nonsense and you won't get called on it.

Scoring defense is the stat to look at when determining what is a good defense or not. Not Yards given up. Arizona was not the number 2 defense.

The only team we faced during that 7-1 run that finished in the top 10 in scoring defense was Pittsburgh. Every one else was relatively bad, giving up a minimum of 23 points a game.

The inaccurate post I responded to claimed that Tannehill only played well against bottom 10 teams. You chime in about top 10 teams.

And when is the last time a team was declared the winner of a game based on yards gained/allowed?

Only someone with an agenda would be promoting a defense that was 14th in the NFL in ppg (22.6) which was largely skewed by getting to play in the NFC West as the #2 defense in the league. Arizona's ppg was 26.1 outside of their conference which would have ranked them 28th. And only someone with an agenda would ignore the defense was banged up and lost their best DB for that game.

Even Miami's defense only gave up 16.67 ppg against the Seahawks, 49ers and Rams.

Again, mirror?

Maybe we can only count points against the defense on odd numbered days......

Against Pitt that win had to do with Ajayi having a breakout game (204 yards, 2 TD). Tannehill had little to do with that win.

How important is a RB having a good game to a teams success? Teams were 37-4 last year when their RB rushed for 140 yards or more and Ajayi rushed for over 200. Kinda explains how Miami won that game with Tannehill throwing a TD pass.

Against the Cardinals was the only game Tannehill was playing at an all-pro level. Of course he didn't finish the game in which Miami fell behind. So much for durability. And talk about being accurate. You don't mention the Cardinals just lost the Honey Badger or that their #2 defense as you claim (only #2 in yards and that is b/c they got to play 6 games against NFC West teams) had given up 28.2 ppg the previous 5 games and the Saints and Seahawks put 48 and 31 on them the following 2 weeks.

Is it too much to ask for you to look in the mirror before asking others to be accurate?

Troll?

1. Admittedly the whole conversation is premature. Season hasn't even started yet and there would need to be a fair number of tumblers to fall into place in order to unlock a scenario where Tannehill is not QB in 2018.

2. I see the argument that it's not two straight injuries, it's the same injury affecting two seasons, but that doesn't make it better. It makes it worse, in a way. To have a knee so unstable that it didn't heal despite following the best recommendations of doctors, all the rehab he put into it, the stem cell therapy, etc...that's not a GOOD thing that's supposed to make me feel better.

3. Normally when a replacement takes over for an injured starter, the new guy starts working with a smaller, more focused play sheet than the starter. Two years in a row now, the opposite has been the case. There was a big show of how Matt Moore would run anything Christensen or Gase wanted. And this year Cutler will execute everything that was in Miami's playbook, and a bunch of stuff from the Chicago playbook that Tannehill didn't like to run. Ryan is known for being...decisive...about which plays he likes and doesn't like. Both his replacements are like screw it, yeah let's run that, I'll make it work. It's something to consider.

4. Along the same vein, recall that Joe Philbin came to Miami intending to run the no-huddle and hurry-up, and had to abandon it. Later we learn that within two years he'd sold out on Tannehill and wanted Derek Carr to be drafted. I know that Bill Lazor had a lot of problems with Ryan Tannehill. Adam Gase has been, is now, and will continue to be loyal to Ryan Tannehill and a fan of his, but Gase also tried to run no-huddle for the first handful of games and was forced to abandon it for {{reasons}}. I saw Jay Cutler running a lot of no-huddle in the most recent preseason game. It bears keeping an eye on...

5. Laremy Tunsil, talking about Jay Cutler after the Ravens game: “Man that’s an NFL-type quarterback. That’s a real NFL-type quarterback. He’s one of those quarterbacks that gets in the huddle and takes the leads. That’s a quarterback you respect.” That wasn't a jab at Tannehill. It was a full slap in the face, albeit perhaps not consciously intended since that's not Laremy's way.

6. That said, those believing Tannehill could be cut are SORELY mistaken though. He has a favorable contract (have you seen the numbers some of these guys are getting???) and there could be upwards of 11 teams next year dipping into the QB well in one significant way or another (draft or veteran acquisitions), not counting Miami should they decide to trade Tannehill. Most of those teams (8 or 9 of them) will be desperate to either acquire a guy that helps them compete immediately, or can be safely dubbed the "crown prince" heir apparent. In the draft you've got the significant options Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen in no particular order, and that could be it (depending on what Tanner Lee, Clayton Thorson, and Jarrett Stidham look like by year's end). Among veteran acquisitions you've got Jimmy Garoppolo and Kirk Cousins, with MAYBE a Drew Brees if he doesn't hang it up. There just are not enough to go around. There are teams connected to Tannehill one way or another (Saints/Ireland, Denver/Vance Joseph) who could find themselves in the market. There's always been a rumor of the Shanahans' affinity for Ryan Tannehill as well; Kyle is out in San Fran needing a guy to lead his team. Jacksonville have all but given up on Bortles and may not be overly anxious to go the whole "draft a rookie and hope the coin flips the right way" route again. Just sayin the market for a Ryan Tannehill would be red hot and if Miami accepted anything short of a 1st round pick-plus, then they botched it.

This will all boil down to who Adam Gase wants to lead his team in 2018. It won't be about 2019 or 2020. And who Adam Gase wants to lead the team in 2018 will depend on how things unfold in 2017. Unfortunately, Tannehill is sitting in front of the target with his hands tied behind his back, blindfolded, hoping the crowd firing arrows at him misses. He's helpless; can't take control of his own fate. If Cutler lights it up, if Miami wins a playoff game, if it looks like Cutler is game to keep playing in 2018, if all those things happen then Tannehill is probably gone to the highest bidder.

1. Admittedly the whole conversation is premature. Season hasn't even started yet and there would need to be a fair number of tumblers to fall into place in order to unlock a scenario where Tannehill is not QB in 2018.

2. I see the argument that it's not two straight injuries, it's the same injury affecting two seasons, but that doesn't make it better. It makes it worse, in a way. To have a knee so unstable that it didn't heal despite following the best recommendations of doctors, all the rehab he put into it, the stem cell therapy, etc...that's not a GOOD thing that's supposed to make me feel better.

3. Normally when a replacement takes over for an injured starter, the new guy starts working with a smaller, more focused play sheet than the starter. Two years in a row now, the opposite has been the case. There was a big show of how Matt Moore would run anything Christensen or Gase wanted. And this year Cutler will execute everything that was in Miami's playbook, and a bunch of stuff from the Chicago playbook that Tannehill didn't like to run. Ryan is known for being...decisive...about which plays he likes and doesn't like. Both his replacements are like screw it, yeah let's run that, I'll make it work. It's something to consider.

4. Along the same vein, recall that Joe Philbin came to Miami intending to run the no-huddle and hurry-up, and had to abandon it. Later we learn that within two years he'd sold out on Tannehill and wanted Derek Carr to be drafted. I know that Bill Lazor had a lot of problems with Ryan Tannehill. Adam Gase has been, is now, and will continue to be loyal to Ryan Tannehill and a fan of his, but Gase also tried to run no-huddle for the first handful of games and was forced to abandon it for {{reasons}}. I saw Jay Cutler running a lot of no-huddle in the most recent preseason game. It bears keeping an eye on...

5. Laremy Tunsil, talking about Jay Cutler after the Ravens game: “Man that’s an NFL-type quarterback. That’s a real NFL-type quarterback. He’s one of those quarterbacks that gets in the huddle and takes the leads. That’s a quarterback you respect.” That wasn't a jab at Tannehill. It was a full slap in the face, albeit perhaps not consciously intended since that's not Laremy's way.

6. That said, those believing Tannehill could be cut are SORELY mistaken though. He has a favorable contract (have you seen the numbers some of these guys are getting???) and there could be upwards of 11 teams next year dipping into the QB well in one significant way or another (draft or veteran acquisitions), not counting Miami should they decide to trade Tannehill. Most of those teams (8 or 9 of them) will be desperate to either acquire a guy that helps them compete immediately, or can be safely dubbed the "crown prince" heir apparent. In the draft you've got the significant options Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen in no particular order, and that could be it (depending on what Tanner Lee, Clayton Thorson, and Jarrett Stidham look like by year's end). Among veteran acquisitions you've got Jimmy Garoppolo and Kirk Cousins, with MAYBE a Drew Brees if he doesn't hang it up. There just are not enough to go around. There are teams connected to Tannehill one way or another (Saints/Ireland, Denver/Vance Joseph) who could find themselves in the market. There's always been a rumor of the Shanahans' affinity for Ryan Tannehill as well; Kyle is out in San Fran needing a guy to lead his team. Jacksonville have all but given up on Bortles and may not be overly anxious to go the whole "draft a rookie and hope the coin flips the right way" route again. Just sayin the market for a Ryan Tannehill would be red hot and if Miami accepted anything short of a 1st round pick-plus, then they botched it.

This will all boil down to who Adam Gase wants to lead his team in 2018. It won't be about 2019 or 2020. And who Adam Gase wants to lead the team in 2018 will depend on how things unfold in 2017. Unfortunately, Tannehill is sitting in front of the target with his hands tied behind his back, blindfolded, hoping the crowd firing arrows at him misses. He's helpless; can't take control of his own fate. If Cutler lights it up, if Miami wins a playoff game, if it looks like Cutler is game to keep playing in 2018, if all those things happen then Tannehill is probably gone to the highest bidder.

Usually the teams that need a QB are the bad teams with early picks, if a Jacksonville or San Francisco offered a top 10-15 pick for Tannehill I don't see how you could turn that down.

And Stafford just got made the highest paid NFL player in history at 27 mil a year....

Waaaaaaaaaaay too early to even think about it. No idea how Tannehill's recovery goes yet, no idea how Cutler will perform, and no idea if Cutler will hold up all season. For all we know, Cutler could take the one year payday and ride off to the broadcast booth regardless of the outcome. We can speculate til March because that's what us Dolphin fans do especially about our QBs, but in the end I 100% believe this will be a Gase decision. This will be his defining moment as our HC for the franchise and its future. Let's all pray he gets it right.

And Stafford just got made the highest paid NFL player in history at 27 mil a year....
And if they are correct Good Morning Football, said he is 5 and 44 or 54 against win teams. That's 5 wins against winning teams in his carrer. I'm sure RT 17 has a better record than that, Matt Moore must have a better record than that.

And if they are correct Good Morning Football, said he is 5 and 44 or 54 against win teams. That's 5 wins against winning teams in his carrer. I'm sure RT 17 has a better record than that, Matt Moore must have a better record than that.

Tannehill has close to 5 wins against the Patriots alone.

Back
Top Bottom