Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon?

Barry20 said:
Never. Basketball will never be more popular than Football is.

You dont think Jordan is more popular in Chicago than Walter Payton? Wade CAN surpass Marino in time, especially if he wins more titles.

Trekbiz said:
Yeah, you could..... :lol:

But what about the rest of that thought?? ;)

Filling 20,000 on 41 nights....mostly weeknights.....to see a sport that's rehabbing its image.

compared to....

Filling 74,000 on 8 afternoons....on Sundays....to see the most dominant sport in the country whose popularity has never been higher.

Again, it should be much easier for the Dolphins.

Muck said:
Just as you can argue whether or not Wade is the league's best player, you could also argue whether or not Dan was the best QB of his time, or even his era. You can easily argue John Elway, Joe Montana, Brett Favre, etc. And if you want to go alltime...you'd DEFINITELY throw in a guy like Johnny Unitas.

In 1984, Dan played with six other Pro Bowlers. They were a great team. They tore up the league. And yet they got hammered by the 49ers.

Dan had 21 first round picks playing with him in 1995. Lots of Pro Bowl caliber guys. They went 9-7 and they got blown out by the Bills in the playoffs. Shula's last game. All those stars that couldn't get along. It's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

And as I said in an earlier post, it wasn't an all star team in Miami. It wasn't easy. Nobody picked them to win it all. Nobody picked them even in the playoffs to reach the Finals. Those critics had good reason not to. And yet they did it anyway.

Here are three debunkers for you.

Q: How many Heat players made the All Star game this year??
A: Two. Wade and Shaq.

Q: How many other Heat players have ever made an All Star game??
A: Three. Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton, Antoine Walker

Q: When was the last time any of those guys made an All Star game??
A: 2003

And as was said before, Shaq is in serious decline, now a complimentary player at 34. Mourning is 36. Payton is 37. Walker is 29. Only Walker is remotely near his prime.

I also think you should read the thread. There are several good posts breaking this stuff down. :)
Here is you some debunkers. How many records does Dan have? How many does Wade have? How many votes did Dan have by the HOF players that were asked who they would want as their starting QB? How many votes has Dwaynie had by the BB HOF'ers? I could go on but you can't get through some peoples ignorance and only ignorant people would read this whole stupid thread. Get real.

G-Force said:
Here is you some debunkers. How many records does Dan have? How many does Wade have? How many votes did Dan have by the HOF players that were asked who they would want as their starting QB? How many votes has Dwaynie had by the BB HOF'ers? I could go on but you can't get through some peoples ignorance and only ignorant people would read this whole stupid thread. Get real.

Do you have any concept of "future"? At no point was the claim made that Wade is a bigger Miami Sports Icon than Marino at this very moment.. What we are doing is having a discussion based upon future possibilities..

dlockz said:
No he won't because Footbal is much more popular than Basketball. now if Wade wins alot more championships and accolades, Jordanlike than that could change.

Uh? The NFL is more popular than the NBA, but that doesnt mean playing basketball is less popular than playing football. I venture to say more people play basketball (because mainly you can shoot alone) than play football. Dont confuse the difference.

SkapePhin said:
Do you have any concept of "future"? At no point was the claim made that Wade is a bigger Miami Sports Icon than Marino at this very moment.. What we are doing is having a discussion based upon future possibilities..
Do you people have the concept of football? When Wade puts on some pads and does something on the feild then and only then should this ignorance be talked about. To answer the question I have to say no. Shaq will retire and that team was built to win THIS YEAR. Riley is probably gone along with many of the teams contributors IMO. Wade may only be 24 but how old is Lebron? Then their is Kobe and AI and Tim Duncan and many more better players without as good of teams as what Riley put together for THIS YEAR. Congrats to the Heat and I hope Wade continues to shine but this is just a stupid subject IMO.

G-Force said:
Do you people have the concept of football? When Wade puts on some pads and does something on the feild then and only then should this ignorance be talked about. To answer the question I have to say no. Shaq will retire and that team was built to win THIS YEAR. Riley is probably gone along with many of the teams contributors IMO. Wade may only be 24 but how old is Lebron? Then their is Kobe and AI and Tim Duncan and many more better players without as good of teams as what Riley put together for THIS YEAR. Congrats to the Heat and I hope Wade continues to shine but this is just a stupid subject IMO.

:confused:

So a SPORTS ICON has to be a football player? Again, who is more of the face of Chicago, Michael Jordan or Walter Payton?

Walter Payton is arguably the best RB of ALLTIME, yet he still cannot compar to MJ in Chicago.. Why is it "stupid" to think that Wade, if he reaches that kind of level, would be able to supplant Marino as the face of Miami Sports?

SkapePhin said:
:confused:

So a SPORTS ICON has to be a football player? Again, who is more of the face of Chicago, Michael Jordan or Walter Payton?

Walter Payton is arguably the best RB of ALLTIME, yet he still cannot compar to MJ in Chicago.. Why is it "stupid" to think that Wade, if he reaches that kind of level, would be able to supplant Marino as the face of Miami Sports?
Jordan won 6 count them 6 rings. Led his team of misfits to the best record in NBA history and saved the sport of BB because alot of people lost interest in BB when Bird and Magic retired. The cards just aren't set up for Wade to make the contributions or gain world fame the way Jordan did. That being said if Dwayne does it he deservres all the respect but IMO it will never happen and he will never be a Jordan. And he may have already surpassed Marino in some bandwagoning Dolphin fans eyes but for out of state people like me f*** that. Also as a Tarheel I would appreciate you people not comparing Wade to Jordan until he gets at least his 3rd ring. He would then be halfway home.

G-Force said:

Where do you get your info from? THIS YEAR??? Riley is coming back (already said it) Shaq is gonna be around for a few more years. Walker, JWill, Haslem are coming back. Posey 99% will be back. Only Zo and Payton probably will retire. And the Heat have 5.1 million dollars to sign someone else. Face it, Wade is Miami's new sports icon.

G-Force said:
Jordan won 6 count them 6 rings. Led his team of misfits to the best record in NBA history and saved the sport of BB because alot of people lost interest in BB when Bird and Magic retired. The cards just aren't set up for Wade to make the contributions or gain world fame the way Jordan did. That being said if Dwayne does it he deservres all the respect but IMO it will never happen and he will never be a Jordan. And he may have already surpassed Marino in some bandwagoning Dolphin fans eyes but for out of state people like me f*** that. Also as a Tarheel I would appreciate you people not comparing Wade to Jordan until he gets at least his 3rd ring. He would then be halfway home.

Wade has to get 6 rings before you compare him with Jordan? Get real. True you cant compare them now, but in 10 years, you will see they will be talked about in the same breath. Wade is only in his 3rd year, he still is improving

Muck said:
But what about the rest of that thought?? ;)

Filling 20,000 on 41 nights....mostly weeknights.....to see a sport that's rehabbing its image.

compared to....

Filling 74,000 on 8 afternoons....on Sundays....to see the most dominant sport in the country whose popularity has never been higher.

Again, it should be much easier for the Dolphins.

Muck, I haven't been to a Phins game in years. I couldn't justify the $ it would cost for a 300 mile round trip for a family of three.
For the locals, what is the difference between the cost of a night out with the Heat and one with the Phins? Also factor in a day game in the sun with the Phins is just brutal.
All in all, I believe the cost and the heat factor is what hurts attendence for the Phins.

Wade will pass Marino eventually. But he still has to keep this up.

12 more years of this...and he will be in the Hall of Fame with several rings. Do the math.

I notice a trend in this thread the people who believe dewayne wade is a god are the people who live right smack in the middle of miami and the people who believe and know marino and football will always rule south florida are the people outside of the miami radius. I am do not live in miami, I am a diehard dolphins fan and when i saw this thread title it was like a jab through the heart. But after some thought everyone has there own oppinion and I can't control that.

G-Force said:

misfits? u call Pippen and Rodman misfits? hmm well pippen is a top 50 greatest player.

Can't become a has been when he quit playing 6 years ago

DAN: this makes absolutely NO sense.

how many years out of a sport, music, movies does
a person become a has been? how many?

and, this is not how i view dan, but many already
do. the media sure does, and this is reflected by
the gaudy omission of dan in these greatest qb
threads.

ARM THE CALIFORNIA NATIONAL GUARD!!

Back
Top Bottom