Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon?

pwn3dyo said:
i don't know anything about basketball? :rolleyes: I make my money betting on it and baseball

All he does is run into the defenders and get the whistle. He initiates the contact and goes to the line. The NBA is just trying to market him. You obviously don't know anything about basketball if you think he is "great". The Finals were a big joke. Going to the line 25 times in a game.....:shakeno:
Quoting Michael Jordan: So?

Who cares how many times he goes to the line. He shot over 64% in FG against arguably the best defensive team this league has ever witnessed, Detroit Pistons. He averaged an estimated 35 ppg, 8 rpg, 4 apg in the NBA Finals; AT THE AGE OF 24 AND WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP. Not even Michael Jordan did that in his age.

To say he's going to become Dontrelle Willis and fade in and out is ridiculous because Dwyane has performed incredibly well in the playoffs THREE YEARS STRAIGHT; even in his rookie season. Each year, he takes his game to another level, ESPECIALLY IN THE PLAYOFFS.

He will surpass Dan Marino. Dwyane is the complete package; he can play defense, offense, create highlights, shoot at a high percentage, shoot free throws, get on the line, finish on the paint, closes games, block shots, etc. He's the Superstar Miami has been looking for, in a long long time.

Acrobatically, the most gifted player in the NBA, AND THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE. If you watched the Miami vs Detroit games and Miami vs Dallas games, you shouldn't even argue this.

When Dwyane Wade threw that ball up in the air to clinch that title, you could here a huge ROAR if you stepped outside. This guy has surpassed Marino. It's all about championships, and he carried this OLD team on his shoulders and took them to the promise land.

I am a big, big NFL fan. Hell, my dream has always been to play professionally, and I would likely pick FOOTBALL over BASKETBALL 3/5 times. But come on now, Wade is a very VERY special athlete. For christ sakes, ESPN AND JUST ABOUT EVERY OTHER SPORTS CHANNEL IS BLURTING OUT DWYANE AND MICHAEL IN THE SAME SENTENCE.

As for this being a football town: Guess what? The past three seasons, Miami has been a basketball town. The Dolphins have been going through rebuilt process for a long while now. Hell, we don't even know what to expect from them this season. Will we have an average season, or will we dominate? The Dolphins haven't gone to the playoffs in god knows when; haven't won the division title since the 90's; haven't advanced out of the Wild Card round since the 90's or was it the 80's?

The party has been in the Triple A the past 3 seasons; while the last few years with Jay Fiedler, AJ Feeley, and Gus Frerrote, it would be risky to buy a ticket to their games. PLUS Pro Player Stadium is like, almost OUT of Miami, and the Triple A is in the heart of South Beach.

PhinSoldia said:
because technically it has to do with the dolphins...so it really doesnt go against TOS

just had to open my big mouth+

No! It has something to do with a former Dolphin.

themole said:
No! It has something to do with a former Dolphin.

true...but this is DAN MARINO..best QB in dolphin history....ALL other Dan threads live it up in the main forum...but because it has a little something to do with yet another South Florida Champion...not named the dolphins it was moved...

this is a good question however it's impossible to know the answer until Wade retires and you can tell how many rings he has. if he has 4 or more than I'd say he has passed Marino

Wow Homersville! Look I'm going to tell you all the truth,without O'neal the Heat don't win the title.Wade is a great young player,but it's not so easy to put together a championship team.Let's give Wade a little more time in the league before he crown him king of Miami.On a side note I personally think the reason Riley "replaced" Van Gundy was because Pat realized that with all the "new"players(egos and personalities) that he brought in he was going to need a coach that these guys could "respect" and listen to.I don't feel Stan had the "command" Riles demands of his team(s) JMHO.

the whole "who has more rings" argument is a joke. Charlie Batch has a ring and Marino doesn't, does that make him a better player?...no. One day Wade may indeed overtake Marino as Miami's sports icon, but not yet, not now.

PHINATIC13 said:
Wow Homersville! Look I'm going to tell you all the truth,without O'neal the Heat don't win the title.Wade is a great young player,but it's not so easy to put together a championship team.Let's give Wade a little more time in the league before he crown him king of Miami.On a side note I personally think the reason Riley "replaced" Van Gundy was because Pat realized that with all the "new"players(egos and personalities) that he brought in he was going to need a coach that these guys could "respect" and listen to.I don't feel Stan had the "command" Riles demands of his team(s) JMHO.

without pippen does MJ have his rings? I dont think so. This lil argument that wade has good players around him is stupid, EVERYONE that has won a title in any sport has good players on it.

PHINATIC13 said:
Without O'neal, we won't win the title? Are you kidding me? SHAQ WASN'T EVEN A FACTOR IN THIS SERIES NOR THE PLAYOFFS.

All he did was crowd the paint and cause himself to sit on the bench with many fouls.

Vertical Limit said:
Without O'neal, we won't win the title? Are you kidding me? SHAQ WASN'T EVEN A FACTOR IN THIS SERIES NOR THE PLAYOFFS.

All he did was crowd the paint and cause himself to sit on the bench with many fouls.

i dont know if any of these people that claim Wade cant do it without shaq was watching the series

Vertical Limit said:

OK dude,thanks I don't know what I was thinking.:rolleyes:

Jeez, the main forum is one boring forum during the offseason.. Its a wonder anyone even visits it at all.. Even threads that are obviously Dolphin related get moved.. What is permitted there during the offseason? A Gazillion Power Ranking threads?

themole said:
My thoughts are, this should not be discussed in the Main Forum. It's already littered with enough trash. Why has it lasted this long?

Tell me, what SHOULD be discussed in the Main Forum? If you all had your way, it would probably be a barren wasteland during the offseason.. I know Im going to stop posting in it.. Its riiculous how stuff gets moved at will.

G-Force said:
How stupid. Dan was the greatest QB to ever lace'em up. D-Wade isn't even the best in his time. Labron,Kobe, shall I go on? Dan is the greatest of all time period. How can anyone even think such ignorance. BTW D-Wade still isn't even in the top 50 alltime in the NBA yet. Just because someone wins a championship with about 10 other former or current allstars doesn't mean you can compare him to a alltime great. If Dan would have had 10 probowlers playing with him how many SB's do you think he would win? This thread is stupid and pathetic. Those of you who say yes should'nt call yourselves Dolphin fans ever again.

Just as you can argue whether or not Wade is the league's best player, you could also argue whether or not Dan was the best QB of his time, or even his era. You can easily argue John Elway, Joe Montana, Brett Favre, etc. And if you want to go alltime...you'd DEFINITELY throw in a guy like Johnny Unitas.

In 1984, Dan played with six other Pro Bowlers. They were a great team. They tore up the league. And yet they got hammered by the 49ers.

Dan had 21 first round picks playing with him in 1995. Lots of Pro Bowl caliber guys. They went 9-7 and they got blown out by the Bills in the playoffs. Shula's last game. All those stars that couldn't get along. It's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

And as I said in an earlier post, it wasn't an all star team in Miami. It wasn't easy. Nobody picked them to win it all. Nobody picked them even in the playoffs to reach the Finals. Those critics had good reason not to. And yet they did it anyway.

Here are three debunkers for you.

Q: How many Heat players made the All Star game this year??
A: Two. Wade and Shaq.

Q: How many other Heat players have ever made an All Star game??
A: Three. Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton, Antoine Walker

Q: When was the last time any of those guys made an All Star game??
A: 2003

And as was said before, Shaq is in serious decline, now a complimentary player at 34. Mourning is 36. Payton is 37. Walker is 29. Only Walker is remotely near his prime.

I also think you should read the thread. There are several good posts breaking this stuff down. :)

This will always be a football town. Just as Dallas will always be a football town despite the Mavericks success.

That said, Heat tickets are getting hard to come by. Meanwhile, you generally have your pick of Phins tickets the week of the game. Yes, you could argue that it's easier to fill 20,000 seats compared to 74,000.

But the Heat are filling 20K every night, 41 times a year (regular season). Mostly weeknights. The Phins have to fill 74K eight Sundays a year. You're talking 820K (Heat) vs. 592K (Phins) in total capacity. Football is unquestionably the dominant sport in America. And yet the Heat are consistently beating the Phins at filling the venue.

Might not be as cut and dry as we think.

Muck said:
This will always be a football town. Just as Dallas will always be a football town despite the Mavericks success.

That said, Heat tickets are getting hard to come by. Meanwhile, you generally have your pick of Phins tickets the week of the game. Yes, you could argue that it's easier to fill 20,000 seats compared to 74,000.

Yeah, you could..... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom