Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon?

There's a chance and I think he eventually when he keeps bringing in more titles.

Blueprint said:
Wade is a joke?

You don't know anything about basketball.

Your opinion doesn't matter.

i don't know anything about basketball? :rolleyes: I make my money betting on it and baseball

All he does is run into the defenders and get the whistle. He initiates the contact and goes to the line. The NBA is just trying to market him. You obviously don't know anything about basketball if you think he is "great". The Finals were a big joke. Going to the line 25 times in a game.....:shakeno:

Yes he will because we all know in this town its all about championships. That is a fact of Miami, and Wade will be the Miami icon.

EVERYONE WHO THINKS WADE WONT SURPASS DAN MARINO IS DUMB AND ARE IN DENIAL...... Wade is the next MJ in the making did u see him play WHAT makes him special is the fact that he makes points with pressure something MJ used to do and something LEBRON cant.

SINCE WADE STARTED EVEN WITHOUT SHAQ HE HAS MADE THE PLAYOFFS HE's THE BEST NBA PLAYER IN THE LEAGUe

GcOe said:
EVERYONE WHO THINKS WADE WONT SURPASS DAN MARINO IS DUMB AND ARE IN DENIAL...... Wade is the next MJ in the making did u see him play WHAT makes him special is the fact that he makes points with pressure something MJ used to do and something LEBRON cant.

SINCE WADE STARTED EVEN WITHOUT SHAQ HE HAS MADE THE PLAYOFFS HE's THE BEST NBA PLAYER IN THE LEAGUe
What a joke. MJ was the best ever dwaynie isn't even the best playing now. Labron, Kobe, Nowitsky, Tim Duncan, and many others is better. Ignorance you are full of.

NOOOO, D Wade is in his 3rd year......Dan was there for 17 and was the best year after year. The Heat have a title but Shaq and Zo are just as much a reason as D Wade for winning it.

Football is the sport of kings. Better than diamond rings...
Wade is a great baller, but will never surpass Marino in popularity. Basketball is not the same sport it was in the 80's into the early 90's...it's true glory days. Its a weak sport in comparison to football today. The NFL is the dominant American sport, and Marino is an icon.

Has Wade surpassed Marino? No
Can he? Definitely
Will he? Who knows (I think he will if his career stays on course)

People are making some poor arguments:

1) Yes Marino MAY be the best QB ever (I think so, though many knock him down a few slots on the all time list for not winning a championship) but that is also one position. To say that Wade may not be the best player in the NBA right now doesn't matter because there are 5 positions in basketball. Wade has a great shot of being the 2-5th best SG of all time and a top 15 player in NBA History.

2) The nature of the games and marketing campaigns impact how famous players are. The NFL is a team game. Teams are marketed more so than specific players (TO and Vick aside). The NBA has long been about "Superstars." Wade is undeniably a superstar and he led the league in Jeresy sales this year. I am not sure if Marino ever did that in the NFL. Basketball players play on offense and defense, as opposed to Marino who was merely the most important player in one half of the game.

Finally I submit this

Dan Marino - cheesy, low budget, local Maroone commercials that make people pull their hair out

Wade - Converse commercials, ESPN commercials, P-Diddy model, 50 sexiest people etc

I think it is very possible that Wade will have this greater appeal in Miami as well as outside of Florida (which I think he currently has). People say that there are Dolphin fans outside of Florida because of Marino.....I am telling you that Heat fans are being made outside of Miami because of Wade right this moment (just 3 years in). I see Wade jeresies daily here in and around DC.

That said, I grew up watching Marino and I love the guy - and he does have his stellar acting performance in Ace Ventura which is something Wade could never hope to replicate

G-Force said:
What a joke. MJ was the best ever dwaynie isn't even the best playing now. Labron, Kobe, Nowitsky, Tim Duncan, and many others is better. Ignorance you are full of.

OYE ur From NC of course u wouldnt agree wait till next year and we could start this thread all over...

GcOe said:

The NBA is weak. The days of Jordan, Barkley, Ewing and mega-popular B-ball stars is not the same as it was. Shaq and Zo are merely remnants of those glory days past. For this reason, Wade won't match the aura of Marino. Miami is a football town. Wade will fade like Dontrell...win or lose.

You guys have been sipping too much of the D Wade koolaid the past 24 hours. He is a great player but not many people really care that much about the NBA anymore.....it is nowhere close to the NFL in popularity,,,same with baseball and hockey....it's yesterday's news.

The NBA has great players in it right now, they just haven't built up their legends yet. Of course the great players who have retired are going to have better resumes than guys who have been in the league less than 10 years. There are better players than Ewing in the league now. The same can be said for Barkley.

Most great basketball players have longer careers at or near their peak. This is especially true when comparing them to great running backs (I realize this argument does not apply to Marino).

You are right football is more popular, but tons of people watch the NBA playoffs. There are far more NBA games in the regular season than NFL games so its much harder to watch every game and games aren't all played on a Sunday when people are off to watch it.

Redneck Friend said:
sad, but i think this could happen, expecially if he
wins another championship or two.

dan is fast becoming a has been. a fleeting star.

if you look at some of the who is the greatest qb
threads as of recent, dan hasn't even been mentioned!

mostly it is the he didn't get a ring drivel.

coupled in the fact that we now have a younger set
attending the games, following the sport and a lot
of these youngsters never saw dan play, at least not
the dan in his prime.

throw in a biased media and there you have it.

dan IS trhe best to ever play. it is to bad these
kind of threads ever have to appear.
Can't become a has been when he quit playing 6 years ago

NYC#1finsfan said:
He's great but without Shaq, they don't win a championship. Marino without a supporting cast couldn't do it either.

I TOTALLY disagree... I know they can do it without Shaq.....

Back
Top Bottom