Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Dwyane Wade surpass Dan Marino as Miami Sports Icon?

death7star:
ill say it again: the dolphins will never win a super bowl in my lifetime.

WOW, WOW and WOW. There is a lot of ground to cover in between being a homer and the statement you just made. If Dave Wannstedt was named coach for life, you might have a point. I just think that statement is being pessimistic to the point of ignorance.

I don't think basketball is as popular as football by a long shot so no he will never pass Dan in popularity. Dan is arguably the best at his position ever, that is what Wade has to deal with.

sad, but i think this could happen, expecially if he
wins another championship or two.

dan is fast becoming a has been. a fleeting star.

if you look at some of the who is the greatest qb
threads as of recent, dan hasn't even been mentioned!

mostly it is the he didn't get a ring drivel.

coupled in the fact that we now have a younger set
attending the games, following the sport and a lot
of these youngsters never saw dan play, at least not
the dan in his prime.

throw in a biased media and there you have it.

dan IS trhe best to ever play. it is to bad these
kind of threads ever have to appear.

nick1 said:
eventually he will but first he has to get his 5 or 6 rings which he will

I hope he can but like I said earlier...his supporting cast is old already. They might not have one more in them. Time will tell, I just hope he doesn't have to leave Miami 4-5 years from now...

Sports is really all about the rings.

Championships are what define icons. What separates the good from the great players are those that have won rings and that is unfortunate for Marino.

But like I said before SABAN is the name that will be remembered most. Look what the man did in ONE year. What makes it even that much more impressive is he took Dave Shmuckstedt's pile of **** and molded it into a winner. The very next year a superbowl contender if Culpepper is healthy.

C'mon that is ridiculous!

death7star said:
too many homers on this board.

this town will become less of a football town unless the dolphins starting winning some playoff games and making runs at the super bowl.

the heat are eating into the football town and the only way that stops is if the ****ing dolphins starting winning some ****ing games.

ill say it again: the dolphins will never win a super bowl in my lifetime.

...I hope that just means you think you're going to die soon??? Heck, normal rotation and chances, everyone should win one every 32 years right? We're 8 years into our second cycle and have two rings. Means we're totally due some time in the next 22 years.

popularwar said:
Is Michael Jordan more of a Chicago icon than Walter Payton?
Of course.

To me, personally, I regard myself:
EQUALLY as much a Dolphins fan as a Heat fan.
EQUALLY as much a football/NFL fan as a basketball/NBA fan.

Regardless of anything that occurs, it will ALWAYS be that way for me. And, to me,
Michael Jordan is the greatest professional athlete.......Ever.

Shamboubou said:
Yeah I realize that he is the go to guy on the Heats team, and he is a great player. I'm just saying that the Heat did this year what the Lakers did for a couple of years. They took 2 dominate players and put 2nd level stars around them and won championships. He didn't take an average group of players and lead them to the championship. He took players that were stars on other teams and took them to the championship. Nothing wrong with that, but not as big of an accomplishment as other teams have done. Miami didn't create their 2nd level players to become good like San Antonio, Detroit, Dallas, Pheonix and so on. I mean Haslem is one that they did bring along but, the other players were stars on other teams brought here to win a championship with Shaq and D Wade.

I would argue that it's just as hard, if not harder, to do what Miami did considering the the backgrounds of the players they brought in. When everybody is homegrown, they're acclimated to the environment. The system. The way of doing things. When you bring in aging stars with problems/egos/reputations (namely being selfish), it takes something special to not only correct those problems, but to get everyone on the same page and those stars to accept their roles (like a great coach). The guys Miami brought in were thought to be incapable of playing together effectively. Heck, it still looked that way heading into the playoffs.

Basically, Wade was the constant between all of the changes and growing pains, which included a mid-season coaching change. He kept the Heat's season alive. And he's the reason why we even made it to the Finals. It was great to see the supporting cast finally step for multiple games.

Also, Shaq was a FAR better player/athlete when he was winning with the Lakers. He was in his prime. He was still cat quick and unquestionably dominant. Still leading the league in scoring. Lots of rebounds, assists, blocks. In his first Finals with the Lakers, he topped 40 points three times. His stat lines in the Finals were generally even more impressive than Wade's, considering he hovered above or below 20 rebounds.

This Finals, at age 34, Shaq averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds. Not exactly the Shaq of old.

Shaq is 34. Payton is 37. Mourning is 36. This team is pretty old. They were supposed to be run out of the gym by the younger, faster Mavericks. And many times, they were. Again, the glue in those tough spots was generally Dwyane Wade.

Yes, it's similar to what the Lakers and Phil Jackson did. But it's also similar to what Jackson did with Jordan and the Bulls.

Also, those team's second tier stars aren't all homegrown. Dallas' Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse were already well-established vets elsewhere. Erick Dampier played many years at Golden State. Adrian Griffin and Keith Van Horn both played many years in other cities. Even Diop played four years in Cleveland. Darrell Armstong is best known for his years in Orlando. So basically, they can claim Josh Howard, Devin Harris and Marquis Daniels. Very impressive. But it's only one more than Udonis Haslem and Alonzo Mourning.

You could also argue that another of Miami's top homegrown, 2nd tier talents was instrumental in the Heat's win. That would be Caron Butler, 3rd in 2002 Rookie of the Year, who was an ingredient in the deal that allowed us to land Shaq. :)

Never ,and it's only his first ring relax,The NBA will never be able to fill the NFL's shoes

Back
Top Bottom