Would You Still Be a Dolphin if Pittsburgh Had Taken Dan Marino? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Still Be a Dolphin if Pittsburgh Had Taken Dan Marino?

Would You Still Be a Dolphins Fan if Pittsburgh had Drafted Dan Marino?

• Yes

Votes: 127 79.9%
  • No

Votes: 32 20.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Probably not. I'm a lifelong Texan so I was going against the grain to become a Dolphins fan. Marino was a huge part of that.

I would have never been a Dolphin fan in the first place if it were not for Dan Marino. I am from Ohio very far removed from Miami and while I was in the 3rd grade when he was drafted I was as much of a Cincinnati Bengals fan as a 3rd grader could be then one day I seen this #13 play a football game for the dolphins and I was an instant Dolphin fan and have been ever since that day. I have Dolphin and Dan Marino tattoos and being from Ohio I had always waited for him to retire so I could travel up to Canton and watch his induction into the Hall Of Fame. Well it just so happens I am in the Air Force and was deployed to Iraq during his induction and had to miss it but I wanted my son to be able to see Marino inducted since he never got a chance to see him play and I wrote the Dolphins organization from Iraq telling them my story and they sent my wife and son two second row tickets for his induction and they both were able to speak with him and despite rumors of him being a prick he was very nice and pleasant to my wife and son. So my son was able to attend the event I always waited for but was unable to see due to my deployment to Iraq. The Dolphins organization as well as Marino himself was a class act.

So I can say with total and 100% honesty if it were not for Dan Marino I would have never been a Dolphin fan.

Was watching some top 10 clips in another thread and got an interesting question to ask.

Would you still be a Miami Dolphins Fan if Dan had been drafted by Pittsburgh, or would you be a Steeler?

I would be because I am a Dolphan because my dad is and he became a fan in 1970 when Shula was hired.
That is a very good question. The reason I became such a big fan was because my dad was a huge pats fan and everytime Marino beat the pats I was taken out for ice cream.......I probably would, but i cant say yes or no....should be a maybe column

I would not be a Dolphins fan if Pittsburgh had drafted Marino - I'd be a Pittsburgh fan.

I was a Chargers fan as a kid watching Dan Fouts sling the ball around. Then I saw this Marino kid and instantly became a Dolphins fan. I honestly wasn't sure how I'd feel after he retired, but I'm still here and more die-hard than ever.

I was born in South Florida. Who else would I root for. This is MY TEAM for life.

Here goes the most ackward way to become a fan of a team but it's the truth.... I never followed football closely until i was in 2nd grade (1992).. TECMO Superbowl made me a dolphins fan. After playin the game i started to follow the dolphins in real life and suffered my first heartbreak when Buffalo beat miami in miami to go to the superbowl. Also a good family friend who i looked up to was a Phin fan, so that helped. If not, I'd probably be a bears fan to this day. my whole fam is from chicago, so my miami fanhood doesnt sit well with many of them.

I honestly don't know. I'm originally from Orlando, so based on proximity I probably should've been a Bucs fan. But their team was god-awful and the uniforms looked like cream-sicles. When Marino was drafted I was like 9 or 10 years old and the Dolphins had just been in the Superbowl the previous year. So I had just really started watching and liking the phins. So I really couldn't say. At that age you either cheer for the team your family or friends like or whatever the hometown team is.

interesting question......im a dolphins fan because of my father..... but he rooted for the steelers more than the dolphins, until i was born in 84. The Steelers dynasty had come to an end and this guy Marino took the league by storm. We're all from Jersey but have strong ties to South Florida so by dad couldnt help but love the phins after that. That's what makes this question so interesting for me...... Had Dan Marino gone to the Steelers.....( i really have to ask my dad this now).... but i doubt he'd switch to the phins in that case, and therefore, i would most definitley be a Steelers fan today!!

Oddly enough, I didn't care for Marino much until he BECAME a Dolphin. I have been a fan since 1972. I thought Marino was a jerk in college. I didn't have a good reason to think that and I have since learned that he was absolutely NOT a jerk. Marino is far and away the greatest Dolphin of all time and was perhaps the reason that some people STAYED dolphin fans. I still can't watch a game without missing the guy. I would have been a Dolphin fan, but he made it so much better to be one. :(

By the way. Thanks, funkymonks, for starting a thread that does not involve fighting and insulting players and other forumites. More of these and fewer trolls make my day more pleasant. :thumbup:

Of course. Who decides to root for a team because of one player?

Ask all the Vick only fans in ATL who cheer for him because well, because... and still refuse to think dogfighting is bad and will STILL wear his jersey to the games this year and STILL have hope that he may be coming back to the Falcons.

Only reason I cheer for the Dolphins is cuz i'm born and raised here in Miami and that's never gonna change.

I didn't really become a dolphan until JJ came here.

I grew up in Miami, but I watched a lot of football since I was small. We would see the Dolphins at the Orange bowl as a family and everything, but I liked the Raiders, 49'ers and Steelers. I was more into teams that played well as a team, and had defense and ran the ball well.

When JJ came I became a diehard Dolphan, I pretty much gave up on the Raiders back then. I still watch all of the Steeler games...

If Danny would have been a Steeler that would have really been something. Mark Malone was the worst QB of all time right after Fiedler. :wink:

of course!!!

i have been a fan since 1971, long before danny boy.

he sure made things much more intersting for 16 years
though, thats for sure!

i never understood how people can say [and i have heard it a lot] that
"well, i was a fan when so and so was there", etc....

a team is not just one player. remember when you wanted your first pet and your
folks sat you down and said "ok, but you have to know something, animals dont
last forever. there not like people who live 80 yrs. you have to be able to take
the fact that someday, your pet wont be here do to old age or sickness. its a
fact of life. animals are great, but they come and then they go".

same with sports teams. players come and go. they always will. and if you want
to adopt a team and follow them, you have to be able to handle the fact that
players will will not be there at some point.

and i never got the fans who were not team fans anymore after "there" player
was gone.

i loved danny, still do!! but i love the miami dolphins more.

always will.

i have been a fan since the DAY they hired shula, so yes. As a marylander, previous to that i was a baltimore colt fan.

Back
Top Bottom