Would You Trade Our 1st 2nd Round Pick In 2013 For A First Round Pick In 2014? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Trade Our 1st 2nd Round Pick In 2013 For A First Round Pick In 2014?

Trade 2nd round pick in 2013 for 1st in 2014?

• Yes

Votes: 80 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 39 25.0%
  • Depends what is available at that pick

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Other/Please explain

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

madmic21

Active Roster
Reaction score
I think that this would be a good move to stockpile the draft in 2014. I realize we have tons of places to upgrade and could use a player available at that pick. But I also see this as a move that can continue to build us down the line. Lets face it 2013 is not our Super Bowl run and a pick here is not going to make or break us next year. The Pats make this move almost every year and yes they do have the luxury of being able to do this, but regardless it is a good move for the organization. And you never know that team may tank 2013 and we end up with a real solid pick. I guess you also have to look at the board and make a decision based on what is there for the picking. Just a thought on a possible move we can make.

Thoughts?

As much as I think you are going to take heat for posting this it would be a damn good strategy if you think Tannehill is going to end up like a Sanchez or Smith, an average QB.

However with only 1 season under your belt and the fate of both the coaching staff and the GM riding on Tannheill you go out and get yourself a DE or some other needed asset to help the team win. If Tannehill goes the whole house will more than likely go anyway so the picks that you hoard will be used by your replacement and that isn't a good strategy.

No. I want to win now.

The Pats recently stopped doing this since the results don't work.

Last year they made a ton of in trade moves to move up or down and used a lot of the extra 2012 picks.

This year, they only have 5 or 6 picks I think in 2013...

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on how the draft plays out. If we are picking in the 2nd round and there isn't a single player we want then I wouldn't mind it.

No, not with the new salary cap. Instead of buying a QB and paying a premium; everything is on clearance, same quality cheaper price.

No. I want to win now.

Last year they made a ton of in trade moves to move up or down and used a lot of the extra 2012 picks.

Could be a lot of reasons for this, other teams weren't there to make a move with, they thought the player available was a guy they wanted ect... Winning now really has nothing to do with this. I can't see where a pick in the high 30s-mid 40s is a pick sure fire we are gonna win now pick. But if that pick turns into a top 15 next year that would be a possibly huge difference. A lot more things need to a happen for win now other than a good pick at this spot.

No, not with the new salary cap. Instead of buying a QB and paying a premium; everything is on clearance, same quality cheaper price.

A little confused at what you are trying to say. Because of the draft salary structure now, 1st round picks are much cheaper I don't know why salary cap would effect this move in a negative manner at all?

Any time someone gives you the opportunity to do this, you ought to pounce on it. You'd have to come up with a damn fine reason not to do it, IMO.

doubt this will happen it this is year 2 of philbins era and ireland is in win now mode this season.

we really do need all the quality players we can get....

No. I want to win now.

The results don't work? How do you think they built that juggernaut team of theirs?

They've been doing it for a decade and the only problem is that until Scott Pioli left and Nick Caserio took over it didn't matter because they were squandering all the extra picks on bad players. But starting with 2010 they're picking up guys like Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Spikes, Stevan Ridley, Ras-I Dowling, etc. In the last 3 drafts they've had 14 picks in rounds 1, 2 and 3. Their normal allotment would've only been 9 picks. How do you think they did all that?

Any time someone gives you the opportunity to do this, you ought to pounce on it. You'd have to come up with a damn fine reason not to do it, IMO.

Agreed.
Especially since teams that often do this are bad and desperate.
You may end up with a premium pick.

For example if you were to have a top three pick in 2014 and almost have a shot at a player like Clowney.

Hell the Patriots once traded their 1st round pick (which was a low 1st round pick) for San Francisco's future 1st round pick almost straight up...just figuring that San Fran was probably going to draft higher next year than the Patriots will this year so it's a good deal.

They're one of the SMART teams that recognize there is no such thing as time value associated with draft picks. A pick today is worth the same as tomorrow, all other things being equal.

If someone offered you their 2013 2nd rounder for your 2013 3rd rounder, you'd pounce on it...unless you're the baby from those annoying Capital One commercials. Well, offering a 2014 pick for a 2013 pick is the same thing, all other things being equal. Unfortunately, not enough people realize that.

This would be unreal if true. To have 2 1st round picks in ANY draft is worth it. This would set Miami up for a few years running. You could pick a player in the 1st next year then if there is noone worth picking with the 2nd 1st pick you trade that one away for a future pick in another draft if a team was willing or trade back or whatever is better.

I absolutely take that trade. #12 in the 2nd round, and usually teams that do the whole "trade for a pick NOW for your future pick LATER" typically perform middle to top of the round.

I do it in a heartbeat. An absolute heartbeat. We can recover that selection with a trade up (bottom 2nd + bottom 3rd for a middle 2nd)

I voted Yes.

It all depends on who's available though but if it was with a team like Jville that could potentially lead us to have an extra top 10 pick next year, then its a no-brainer.

That, and the fact that our other 2nd round pick wont likely be as high as we hoped considering the amount of wins the Colts already have

Back
Top Bottom