WTF Jason Cole? (Ireland related) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WTF Jason Cole? (Ireland related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What in the last five years has led anyone to believe that he should be trusted with five picks in the top three rounds and $50 million in cap space? If he has a typical Ireland offseason it could set this team back another ten years.

Ever notice ireland Haters come out the same time, all in unison, and back each other up on every thread, start another one, and spout the same repetitive crap day in day out and then someone comes along and says something actually logical with some thought behind it and not some one line hate-filled nonsense, and it never gets retracted with any real proof of anything?

yeah they bring up Marshall and Davis but they get shouted out on those moves and like they have nothing else to say.

If I were an Ireland hater, I would be bringin up Naanee all day long, but not smart enough for that I guess. That is his biggest blemish to date and I would still say Philbin doesnt have a prob with it and will simply move on with his plan.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

What in the last five years has led anyone to believe that he should be trusted with five picks in the top three rounds and $50 million in cap space? If he has a typical Ireland offseason it could set this team back another ten years.

So you were against Tannehill and Martin picks?

Problem to me is Ireland's weakness at GM is finding playmakers. This off season and the Dolphins success over the next 5-7 years is heavily dependant on taking advantage of the huge opportunities (5 early picks and 40-50mm cap space) that we have to fill these holes. Nothing he has done in 5 years has lead me to beleive he is capable of doing this well.

I'm just not sure I have another 5-7 years of sanity left if he blows it. If I had a vote, he would not be the man for this job.

say what you want about his drafting but recently I am pleased. Pouncey, Tannehill, Martin and Clay have been really nice additions recently. I think Ireland is getting better at drafting - the last two years I have no complaints about. We now have a core to this team; we lack skill players im willing to give him one more draft.

He is out of contract next season, he gets a new deal if this goes well and if he messes up... then the anti Ireland guys get rid of him.

Ever notice ireland Haters come out the same time, all in unison, and back each other up on every thread, start another one, and spout the same repetitive crap day in day out and then someone comes along and says something actually logical with some thought behind it and not some one line hate-filled nonsense, and it never gets retracted with any real proof of anything?

yeah they bring up Marshall and Davis but they get shouted out on those moves and like they have nothing else to say.

If I were an Ireland hater, I would be bringin up Naanee all day long, but not smart enough for that I guess. That is his biggest blemish to date and I would still say Philbin doesnt have a prob with it and will simply move on with his plan.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

So you were against Tannehill and Martin picks?
First of all, two picks don't negate the entirity of his time here. Secondly, I was saying Tannehill was a first round pick as early as last November. Ireland also had no choice but to draft him. Lastly, had previous draft picks and free agents worked out, we could have taken a playmaker instead of Martin. If Martin can be used as a +1 in Ireland's favor, Marc Colombo is a -5.

He
First of all, two picks don't negate the entirity of his time here. Secondly, I was saying Tannehill was a first round pick as early as last November. Ireland also had no choice but to draft him. Lastly, had previous draft picks and free agents worked out, we could have taken a playmaker instead of Martin. If Martin can be used as a +1 in Ireland's favor, Marc Colombo is a -5.

Don't forget to give him a A plus for Wake plus curves for the 3 rookie college free agents he picked up this year. Well most of e draft nicks had RT in the first round just not that high in the first round so you were not alone. It takes about 3 years to see picks develop and this year with Tony and Bill gone we have seen a whole different type of picks from Ireland so that shows me he can and has changed. Plus yes he probably deserves to spend that cap space and make those draft picks year since he accumulated that with his for sight. What he should not be able to do next year is trade future picks current picks in 2013 so the next GM if there is one can earn his own way without riding on Ireland's efforts and guys like you giving the other guy the credit

Just so I Know, all of you are saying that if Ireland stinks it up again next year THEN you would advocate firing him?

The team has been heading towards a black hole for long before Ireland got here. Its been a boring ground and pound rely on defense team for 15 years. We've drafted 1 probowl WR in 30 years. We haven't drafted a probowl skill player on defense in 15 years. Ross isn't going to keep buying up empty seats forever so the question is will the fans come to the game in order to see it or will they just forget about the Dolphins altogether if they aren't on TV.

If its true that Ireland has one more season to make the playoffs then he's a lame duck GM. Having a lame duck in a position of authority is never good. Lame ducks will do whats good for them in the short term, not whats good for the team over the long term. Players tend to quit under lame ducks, plus Ireland won't be allowed to negotiate contracts. Giving him one more year to do what he hasn't been able to do in 5 makes no sense.

I agree that the team appears to be heading in the right direction but sometimes appearances can be deceiving. See Sanchez and Rex Ryan.

You mean like drafting Ryan Tannehill? You mean like trading away Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis? You mean like not giving away future draft picks for Dwayne Bowe?

Letting Ireland stay is extremely risky for very little reward imo. I seriously think some of the more respected Finheaven posters could do as good a job as Ireland.
As fans we often see only the negatives of those in leadership roles. We expect certain things and don't realize how hard it is to get those things accomplished without over paying for them. Too often we fold to the knee jerk actions that say pay whatever we have to pay to get a player that MIGHT help a position of need, even if it damages our future.

Fans often think about a GM only as a person who sits behind a desk and judges talent. When in truth it is more the logistics and framework of decisions made that make a good GM. It is not just about bringing a player in but understanding how they fit in with the direction of the team/lockerroom, and even the cap for the next few years that matter. I read it once shortly after they implimented the salary cap that a GM would now be judged as much by the players they DIDN'T bring in as the ones they did. And you have to say he has been very good at staying away from players, that alot around here wanted, that turned out to be bust.

Another important role of a GM is to contol the team's cap. This works hand in hand with not bringing in too many big name FAs that are signed to longterm contracts. But again he was unwilling to sign offseason players, this past year, that might not work out when he understood that his young QB needed a year to mature. We all knew that this was not going to be a superbowl year, but next year we were going to have room to make some moves that could give us a shot at being contenders. Now going into the offseason we have probably the best cap/draft outlook of any team in the league. To be honest that kinda scares me because I haven't loved either his drafts or his FA decisions. But bottom line is he suffered through being fugal to get to this positions, even at the cost of taking a lot of heat. So IMHO he deserves a chance at spending the equity he has established.

One more quality that has to be respected is his negotiation skills. He NEVER gets taken. He gets the best of every deal. He is nobodys bit*h. I absolutely LOVED the way he handled the RT contract. That was a perfect example of him sticking to his guns to insure his owner/team got the best possible deal for the future(a future that might not even include himself), yet at the same time being flexible enough to allow the player not miss too much time, while being willing to meet them half way. That may not seem like a big deal but it isn't as easy as it seems when every moron with a newspaper is out saying you are being too tough, or hurting the team or all the other knee jerk reactions. The Vontae deal was another. We got to see behind what made the decision. He was more than willing to keep the player until the offer got WAAAY beyond the players worth. And even more important was that he UNDERSTOOD the players worth. NOT what we paid for him but what he was worth NOW. He got WAY more than he was worth.

Having said all that I will say that I am on the fence with Ireland. There would not be a word said by me if he were removed, AND someone BETTER came on board. But I personally think that is an extreme long shot. Even if there were a better judge of talent, (which wouldn't be THAT hard to find) there are so many other things that Jeff does VERY well that another GM could be worse. I think we are better off standing pat one more year. If Jeff blows chunks with the equity he has created it will be easy to send him off down the road after next year. Even though I will be holding my breath during the draft, and will break something if we don't get a WR with one of our first 3 picks, I think he should be kept on at least one more year.

Less than 1 in 4 NFL GMs have the support of their fan base. People only see the negative. And no matter WHO they bring in, most of the fan base will be against him in less than two years. So while Jeff has not been perfect (by a longshot) he is the best GM we have had in the last 20 years IMO. He has done a lot right.

Like I said I won't jump off a bridge if he is canned at the end of the year (though I really don't see it happening), I WILL be the first to be as critical of every decision the NEW GM makes as some on here are towards Jeff.

Last edited by a moderator:
As fans we often see only the negatives of those in leadership roles. We expect certain things and don't realize how hard it is to get those things accomplished without over paying for them. Too often we fold to the knee jerk actions that say pay whatever we have to pay to get a player that MIGHT help a position of need, even if it damages our future.

Fans often think about a GM only as a person who sits behind a desk and judges talent. When in truth it is more the logistics and framework of decisions made that make a good GM. It is not just about bringing a player in but understanding how they fit in with the direction of the team/lockerroom, and even the cap for the next few years that matter. I read it once shortly after they implimented the salary cap that a GM would now be judged as much by the players they DIDN'T bring in as the ones they did. And you have to say he has been very good at staying away from players, that alot around here wanted, that turned out to be bust.

Another important role of a GM is to contol the team's cap. This works hand in hand with not bringing in too many big name FAs that are signed to longterm contracts. But again he was unwilling to sign offseason players, this past year, that might not work out when he understood that his young QB needed a year to mature. We all knew that this was not going to be a superbowl year, but next year we were going to have room to make some moves that could give us a shot at being contenders. Now going into the offseason we have probably the best cap/draft outlook of any team in the league. To be honest that kinda scares me because I haven't loved either his drafts or his FA decisions, but bottom line is he suffered through being fugal to get to this positions, even at the cost of taking a lot of heat. So IMHO he deserves a chance at spending the equity he has established.

One more quality that has to be respected is his negotiation skills. He NEVER gets taken. He gets the best of every deal. He is nobodys bit*h. I absolutely LOVED the way he handled the RT contract. That was a perfect example of him sticking to his guns to insure his owner/team got the best possible deal for the future(a future that might not even include himself), yet at the same time being flexible enough to allow the player not miss too much time, while being willing to meet them half way. That may not seem like a big deal but it isn't as easy as it seems when every moron with a newspaper is out saying you are being too tough, or hurting the team or all the other knee jerk reactions. The Vontae deal was another. We got to see behind what made the decision. He was more than willing to keep the player until the offer got WAAAY beyond the players worth. And even more important was that he UNDERSTOOD the players worth. NOT what we paid for him but what he was worth NOW. He got WAY more than he was worth.

Having said all that I will say that I am on the fence with Ireland. There would not be a word said by me if he were removed, AND someone BETTER came on board. But I personally think that is an extreme long shot. Even if there were a better judge of talent, (which wouldn't be THAT hard to find) there are so many other things that Jeff does VERY well that another GM could be worse at that I think we are better off standing pat one more year. If Jeff blows chunks with the equity he has created it will be easy to send him off down the road after next year, but even though I will be holding my breath during the draft, and will break something if we don't get a WR with one of our first 3 picks, I think he should be kept on at least one more year.

Less than 1 in 4 NFL GMs have the support of their fan base. People only see the negative. And no matter WHO they bring in, most of the fan base will be against him in less than two years. So while Jeff has not been perfect (by a longshot) he is the best GM we have had in the last 20 years IMO. He has done a lot right.

Like I said I won't jump off a bridge if he is canned at the end of the year (though I really don't see it happening), I WILL be the first to be as critical of every decision the NEW GM makes as some on here are towards Jeff.

I just want to say that this is a fantastic post. I could not have said it better. I will defened Ireland from unfair attacks on here, I think he has done a decent job. That doesnt mean I am enthuiastic about him or that im sure be will nail this draft - I am willing to give him a chance though.

Having said that if he was replaced tomorrow by an up and coming young gm who liked Joe and Tanny then you wont hear a bad word out of me.

I think bad coaching from Sporano hurt his reputaion and I believe Ireland will be here long term.

I wouldn't say "He found his QB". Maybe Sherman and Philbin did.
This is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about. Any thing good, is the decision of someone else, and anything bad is Ireland. It was too funny when the team went on the early season winning streak how everyone said "Oh, Philbin is a god" but no one said Ireland had anything to do with it, then when things start going bad its, "Ireland is the debil", and Philbin has nothing to do with it.

I am pretty sure you could find posters on here that are convinced Ireland is the cause of global warming, and was the man on the grassy knoll.

He

Don't forget to give him a A plus for Wake plus curves for the 3 rookie college free agents he picked up this year. Well most of e draft nicks had RT in the first round just not that high in the first round so you were not alone. It takes about 3 years to see picks develop and this year with Tony and Bill gone we have seen a whole different type of picks from Ireland so that shows me he can and has changed. Plus yes he probably deserves to spend that cap space and make those draft picks year since he accumulated that with his for sight. What he should not be able to do next year is trade future picks current picks in 2013 so the next GM if there is one can earn his own way without riding on Ireland's efforts and guys like you giving the other guy the credit
He created new holes while not filling the existing ones. He doesn't desrerve crap. He's been cashing six figure paychecks every year for sucking at his job.

Ktown made a great point about GM's in general, my addition to that would Ireland's potential replacement. If you look at the NFL (IMHO) you see teams that just can not get over the proverbial 'hump'. Teams like KC, Cleveland, Cinncy, Airzona, Tenn... the list is longer than one would like and the common denominator is mediocre GM. I think finding a great one is VERY difficult. Four years ago the Jests had a good one, now the same guy is a dog. Be careful what you ask for, there are plenty of guy's that think they can do the job (especially on this forum) and there are plenty of Speilman, Wrongstadt types out there that just plain suck.

I also am on the fence about our GM but lean toward keeping one more year for continuity sake, and to see if he can finally get some play makers with the chits he has built up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom