WTF Jason Cole? (Ireland related) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WTF Jason Cole? (Ireland related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
See when the fans that make posts like these it bemuses me. In one instance they credit Ireland for every move that was made in the past and want to gloss over the fact that the guy who hired Ireland Parcells really had no responsibility during Parcells tenure here because we'll Ireland was the GM and signed off on those moves. Now suddenly when things go right with Philbin and drafting RT they suddenly want to take away the responsibility that they gave to Ireland under Parcells and give it to the guys that Ireland was in charge of hiring Philbin and Sherman or give it to Ross.

The facts are Ireland has been the GM all 5 years, was hired and worked under Parcells who also hired Tony Sporano, Ireland was and is the GM who was involved in the process of hiring Philbin and Sherman. Those are the facts everything else is just hearsay or rumors. A little human logic IMO would compute that as Ireland as a rookie GM hired by Parcells got more confidence would make more of his own decisions over time not vice versa as I keep reading here all the time. The next logical question is has his decision making appear to have improved and I believe so.

I give him credit for listening to the man that knew Tanneyhill best, never said different. As for hiring Philben no matter what impact Ireland had, the final say on coach was the owner and nothing has been put out to dispute that.

I give him credit for listening to the man that knew Tanneyhill best, never said different. As for hiring Philben no matter what impact Ireland had, the final say on coach was the owner and nothing has been put out to dispute that.
Then we will have to agree to disagree. That would make Ross as bad or worse than Jerry Jones or Snyder. But you and I both can believe what we want. Neither of us were there so I guess both of them saying they both got who they want is meaningless.

Then we will have to agree to disagree. That would make Ross as bad or worse than Jerry Jones or Snyder. But you and I both can believe what we want. Neither of us were there so I guess both of them saying they both got who they want is meaningless.

doesnt make Ross worse than or equal to Jones it makes him an owner like most that wants final say on who is the coach of his team. Ireland has no history choosing a head coach so why would he just leave the fate of the team he owns to his gm. All reports point to Ross being the one that had final say on who was hired as coach. In fact for whatever one wants to believe Ross and Ireland somewhat differed on who should be chosen. Do you honestly believe that any gm would say that he was not on board with the choice for coach i mean get real. thats like when a guy signs a free agent contract they always say how bad they wanted to play for that team.

This particular roster brings forth the perfect arguments for both sides of the question: You could honestly say that this team, right now, was only 2 players away from being a playoff lock. Unfortunately, those 2 players were very likely Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis.
However, you have to wonder, if Brandon Marshall was in Miami, would Tannehill's whole approach been different and less constructive to his development? You see how Cutler has become a one-trick pony and maybe RT would've done that too, if only to avoid hearing Marshall bitch about not getting the ball. So from the standpoint of RT's development, what's transpired this year helped him grow faster, even if the results haven't been there as prominently.
Getting back to the secondary; it's not Ireland's fault that Richard Marshall ruptured 2 discs in his back (OUCH!). I am also still holding firm to the belief that Miami would've acquired James Jones if Jennings wouldn't have been so beat up in the preseason. If James Jones would've been here, our conversations would've been much different.

Still, the Egnew pick is just the recent reminder of how Ireland has just flat-out fanned on a number of players. I have to believe that a WR could've been had there that might've helped our team THIS SEASON.

doesnt make Ross worse than or equal to Jones it makes him an owner like most that wants final say on who is the coach of his team. Ireland has no history choosing a head coach so why would he just leave the fate of the team he owns to his gm. All reports point to Ross being the one that had final say on who was hired as coach. In fact for whatever one wants to believe Ross and Ireland somewhat differed on who should be chosen. Do you honestly believe that any gm would say that he was not on board with the choice for coach i mean get real. thats like when a guy signs a free agent contract they always say how bad they wanted to play for that team.
ABSOLUTELY!!! If he thought the coach was someone who was going to be a disaster, there is no way on earth that he is going to attach his name and career to him. Now if you want to tell me he might have wanted McCoy or someone else slightly more, and they discussed it and came to an agreement, then that you can sell me. But if you are trying to say he was dead set against Philbin and then went to the presser and lied to everyone about getting the man he wanted, that would be commiting career suicide. Whether Ireland wanted Philbin more or less than he wanted McCoy is something else we will probably never know, but one thing is for certain and that is Ireland was very high on Philbin or ONE of them wouldn't be here.

This particular roster brings forth the perfect arguments for both sides of the question: You could honestly say that this team, right now, was only 2 players away from being a playoff lock. Unfortunately, those 2 players were very likely Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis.
However, you have to wonder, if Brandon Marshall was in Miami, would Tannehill's whole approach been different and less constructive to his development? You see how Cutler has become a one-trick pony and maybe RT would've done that too, if only to avoid hearing Marshall bitch about not getting the ball. So from the standpoint of RT's development, what's transpired this year helped him grow faster, even if the results haven't been there as prominently.
Getting back to the secondary; it's not Ireland's fault that Richard Marshall ruptured 2 discs in his back (OUCH!). I am also still holding firm to the belief that Miami would've acquired James Jones if Jennings wouldn't have been so beat up in the preseason. If James Jones would've been here, our conversations would've been much different.

Still, the Egnew pick is just the recent reminder of how Ireland has just flat-out fanned on a number of players. I have to believe that a WR could've been had there that might've helped our team THIS SEASON.
I agree with everything you said except about VD. If you watched any interview with him and thought he was someone you wanted on your team well I just have to say we see things differently. The part that shocks me is that we still were overpaid for him to the extent that we were. I still don't know what the colts were thinking. If you wanna see a fanbase upset with their GM go over to the colts board and see what they are saying about THAT trade.

However I will never forgive Ireland for letting go of Marshall when he did. I didn't understand that then and I still don't. But I guess I could just do like the Ireland haters and just say the Marshall trade was all Philbin...

ok roy, whats your draft look like? since your so knowledgable about drafts.
I never claimed to be that knowledgable at drafts nor do I get paid millions of dollars to do nothing but scout players but if you want my oppinions from the drafts at the time:

2010-Hated trading down in the first. Hated who we traded down for even more. I would have taken Earl Thomas
2011-Hated taking a center at 15. Hated taking Daniel Thomas, hated trading up for him even more. Hated the strategy. Said at the time if the goal is to get a center and a running back in the first 3 rounds trade down for Ingram, take Ryan Mallet in the second, take a center in the third and now we're still left with an extra pick in the 4th.
2012-Didn't particularly HATE this draft but the QB I wanted was Russel Wilson, I would have taken Luke Keukly at 9 and probably Hill in the second.

If I were an Ireland hater, I would be bringin up Naanee all day long, but not smart enough for that I guess. That is his biggest blemish to date and I would still say Philbin doesnt have a prob with it and will simply move on with his plan.

Yep strange the haters never brought up Nanee, or Richard Marshall, or Mark Columbo, or Barbie Carpenter or Benny Sapp....

You mean like drafting Ryan Tannehill? You mean like trading away Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis? You mean like not giving away future draft picks for Dwayne Bowe?

Lame Duck for next year not this year, it seems like everybody is in agreeance that if he messes up the next offseason he should be fired at the end of next year.

Actually, I agree 100% with Jason Cole. It would be extremely foolish to fire him now. Let's see what the partnership of Philbin and Ireland can do.

I don't see why it would be foolish. Based on Ireland's track record his offseasons range from poor to average at best, he's done nothing to suggest he can get to above average let alone elite. A new guy can also be poor but at least the new guys ceiling is elite.

A lot of people made the same arguments for Sparano that they make for Ireland: "but we could do worse". Is there a single person on this site that wishes we had kept Sparano now? In my mind Ireland is as bad a GM as Sparano was a head coach, maybe worse. When Ireland is gone NOBODY is going to miss him, you can take that to the bank. Let me ask you this, if Ireland goes to the Jets this offseason are you going to be shaking in your boots that the Jets are about to become the next great team in the NFL? I sure as hell won't, I'd laugh my bloody head off if Ireland went to the Jets.

The only logical argument to keeping Ireland is the new guy may want to get rid of Philbin. To that I would argue that Ross simply has to narrow the candidates to people that like or can work with Philbin, its not ideal but there is nothing about this FUBAR situation that is ideal.

I don't see why it would be foolish. Based on Ireland's track record his offseasons range from poor to average at best, he's done nothing to suggest he can get to above average let alone elite. A new guy can also be poor but at least the new guys ceiling is elite.

A lot of people made the same arguments for Sparano that they make for Ireland: "but we could do worse". Is there a single person on this site that wishes we had kept Sparano now? In my mind Ireland is as bad a GM as Sparano was a head coach, maybe worse. When Ireland is gone NOBODY is going to miss him, you can take that to the bank. Let me ask you this, if Ireland goes to the Jets this offseason are you going to be shaking in your boots that the Jets are about to become the next great team in the NFL? I sure as hell won't, I'd laugh my bloody head off if Ireland went to the Jets.

The only logical argument to keeping Ireland is the new guy may want to get rid of Philbin. To that I would argue that Ross simply has to narrow the candidates to people that like or can work with Philbin, its not ideal but there is nothing about this FUBAR situation that is ideal.

He had to do the same last year with hiring a head coach but in reality it doesnt make it complicated, any gm knows coming in that Philbin will be the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom